Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some saving advice

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

hi there,

I'm looking at a few different saving options but I'm completely clueless when it comes to AER and gross returns and fixed variable rates etc etc, basically I have saved a lot of money well for myself personally it is, and I want to put most of it away for maybe a year or two and let it tick over, I would also like to top it up from time to time, I'm hoping to go to Canada in September and want to put money in but maybe not monthly or at least not a set amount because I wont know what will happen over there ie if I need x amount one month and cant put the set amount or any in the account back home. hopefully I have made some sense to summarize

I have a lump sum saved at the moment,
    I want to put it away for a year or two, and have some but maybe not total access to it, ie (in case of a huge emergency)
    And because I am hoping to get over to Canada, I want to be able to put money into this account but maybe not on a monthly basis or at least not a monthly minimum set amount.

if anyone could offer me ANY advise I would be most grateful.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

kganly1989 wrote: »
    hi there,

I'm looking at a few different saving options but I'm completely clueless when it comes to AER and gross returns and fixed variable rates etc etc, basically I have saved a lot of money well for myself personally it is, and I want to put most of it away for maybe a year or two and let it tick over, I would also like to top it up from time to time, I'm hoping to go to Canada in September and want to put money in but maybe not monthly or at least not a set amount because I wont know what will happen over there ie if I need x amount one month and cant put the set amount or any in the account back home. hopefully I have made some sense to summarize

I have a lump sum saved at the moment,
    I want to put it away for a year or two, and have some but maybe not total access to it, ie (in case of a huge emergency)
    And because I am hoping to get over to Canada, I want to be able to put money into this account but maybe not on a monthly basis or at least not a monthly minimum set amount.

if anyone could offer me ANY advise I would be most grateful.

Thanks for reading

Best advice is to ring a few banks, tell them what you're looking for and see what they have on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Open a 1 year term deposit account with KBC @ 2.55%, the highest on the market.

Also, open PTSB Online Regular Saver account @ 2.85%. No monthly obligation to 'top up' as there is with most other regular saver products. Deposit up to 1,000 EUR each month whenever you want at your leisure.

Keep an eye on the rates.

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - best if you can go 4,5 or 10 years with some of your money.

The OP requested 1-2 years and to be able to top up. State Savings is not suitable for the OP's requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 kganly1989

Best advice is to ring a few banks, tell them what you're looking for and see what they have on offer.

Thanks for the reply I rang tab and honestly he might as well of been speaking Chinese, it was a bit too early in the morning to be understanding mixed variable rates etc etc :) I'll take up on your suggestion though again thanks

Advertisement