Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find rental Property ?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭

Twoandahalfmen
    Me and my girlfriend who are both 18 can't find any nice properties around the baldoyle area or within a 20 minutes drive.

We both have full time jobs, I earn €650 PW she earns €470 PW (Both is net pay)
    I also make €250 Betting PW.

We need a two bed property as we are trying for a baby. We plan to rent for 3 years while saving for a mortgage. We want the deposit and at least 35% of the mortgage.

We don't want to pay more than €900 PM for a property and would like it unfurnished or modern

We have searched for months on Daft and My home.
    Any advice on finding a nice property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

Me and my girlfriend who are both 18 can't find any n

You're very young! What's the rush - you have the rest of your life to pay rent, bills, mortgages - unless you absolutely have to move out, take your time and live at home for a few more years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Twoandahalfmen

mockingjay wrote: »
    You're very young! What's the rush - you have the rest of your life to pay rent, bills, mortgages - unless you absolutely have to move out, take your time and live at home for a few more years.

I pressed create thread before finishing my post sorrry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

For starters...quit the betting. Banks refuse mortgage applications for things as simple as seeing Paddy Power lodgements on a statement, gambling makes you a bigger risk.

Secondly..the notion of renting a property to save for a house seems like the ultimate oxymoron to me. Staying at home would enable you to save more.

Thirdly, finding a landlord to rent to a pair of eighteen year olds is going to be really difficult. Rightly or wrongly they may consider you a higher risk of damage or default to the property.

You mention trying for a baby? Have you budgeted/considered the cost of having a baby/baby equipment/baby needs? It's seriously expensive.

But if you're still determined to go ahead...most of the northside is 20 minutes away from Baldoyle on the M50. One of my best friends lives in Baldoyle and I'm in Blanch and I can make it there in 20 minutes easily. Apartments like this might tick your boxes http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1368878

athtrasna wrote: »
    For starters...quit the betting. Banks refuse mortgage applications for things as simple as seeing Paddy Power lodgements on a statement, gambling makes you a bigger risk.

Secondly..the notion of renting a property to save for a house seems like the ultimate oxymoron to me. Staying at home would enable you to save more.

Thirdly, finding a landlord to rent to a pair of eighteen year olds is going to be really difficult. Rightly or wrongly they may consider you a higher risk of damage or default to the property.

You mention trying for a baby? Have you budgeted/considered the cost of having a baby/baby equipment/baby needs? It's seriously expensive.

But if you're still determined to go ahead...most of the northside is 20 minutes away from Baldoyle on the M50. One of my best friends lives in Baldoyle and I'm in Blanch and I can make it there in 20 minutes easily. Apartments like this might tick your boxes http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1368878

Ill show that to the other half tomorrow.

My betting is off my O2 money card so it won't be on any bank statements that is not a problem.

Yes we know baby's are expensive but we are earning over 1k a week in are wages PW so it's bit a issue.

Thank for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

As an aside, and not wishing to sound judgemental, but 18 and trying for a baby/mortgage/bills?!?

Fair play to ye for getting responsible so young, but maybe take a few years and enjoy this big ol' world in the way that only a young and in love couple can first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ill show that to the other half tomorrow.

My betting is off my O2 money card so it won't be on any bank statements that is not a problem.

Yes we know baby's are expensive but we are earning over 1k a week in are wages PW so it's bit a issue.

Thank for your advice

Betting is not financial planning, it really is not a good habit to have, especially so young.

You mention your wages - how "safe" are your jobs? How reliable is that income? You can't be working very long at your ages which means you will have fewer entitlements at this stage to things like redundancy payments if things go belly up. What about maternity pay? Childcare costs?

Like another poster says, fair play for trying to get sorted and being determined but please be careful. Don't bite off more than you can chew

endacl wrote: »
    As an aside, and not wishing to sound judgemental, but 18 and trying for a baby/mortgage/bills?!?

Fair play to ye for getting responsible so young, but maybe take a few years and enjoy this big ol' world in the way that only a young and in love couple can first?

I have been with my Girl since I was 13.
    I love her to bits and were doing well so we decided to get on in life.
    We both earn nice money enjoy life but don't want to love with are parents.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Betting is not financial planning, it really is not a good habit to have, especially so young.

You mention your wages - how "safe" are your jobs? How reliable is that income? You can't be working very long at your ages which means you will have fewer entitlements at this stage to things like redundancy payments if things go belly up. What about maternity pay? Childcare costs?

Like another poster says, fair play for trying to get sorted and being determined but please be careful. Don't bite off more than you can chew

I work for my dads construction firm. And it's been in hundreds if thousands of euro a year for the past 6/7 years. My job is very stable.

My GF works in a crèche owned by her friends mother and is in profit. And was told her job is the last to go if it goes belly up.

Maternity payments will be 75% of her pay for the first half of the maternity leave and 60 for the rest.
    As she works in the crèche she can bring the child to work with no child care costs

In fairness, and I know this may sound condescending (I really don't mean it to), but while that's really nice money for your age, and bodes well for the future, I ten years time it won't seem so great.

I'm not your parent, so you know I've no vested interested here, but being over twice your age, maybe you'd consider a little well-intentioned advice from a stranger. You do sound considered and responsible and, truth be told, I admire your attitude, but maybe just hold back for a little while. Move in together certainly, but maybe hold back on the child. Plenty of time for that.

Travel!. See the world.

endacl wrote: »
    In fairness, and I know this may sound condescending (I really don't mean it to), but while that's really nice money for your age, and bodes well for the future, I ten years time it won't seem so great.

I'm not your parent, so you know I've no vested interested here, but being over twice your age, maybe you'd consider a little well-intentioned advice from a stranger. You do sound considered and responsible and, truth be told, I admire your attitude, but maybe just hold back for a little while. Move in together certainly, but maybe hold back on the child. Plenty of time for that.

Travel!. See the world.

In 10/15 years my dad will leave me with the company and will get raises over the next decade same with my GF. Both work with family and will get bonuses/promotions ahead of everyone else.
    We don't partically want to travel a 2 week holiday every summer is fine.
    As for kids we both want 2.
    ( myself I want to girls) she doesn't mind

• Advertisement

In 10/15 years my dad will leave me with the company
    Expect a pm from me in ten years looking for a job!

Best of luck with it all. Hope it works out for the pair of ye. Sorry I don't have a response to your actual question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP like the others I do admire your responsible attitude but please consider that you are both still quite young.

I'm about 10 years older than ye so not too far to remember it myself. There are a few couples I know who were together for the same length of time but hit problems in their early 20's. I'm not saying that will happen to ye (and those couples are now back together with kids) but it's a long time & a young age to be talking of kids. But hey if your sure & she's sure - no judgement.

As for the jobs - nothing is stable & while you may get the promotions/pay rises above others you can't guarantee your wage. No one can these days. I'm in what would be referred to as a "stable profession" but it's still hard in this climate to get approval in principal for a mortgage.

In regards the renting - unfurnished are quite difficult to find from when I was looking. 9 out of 10 were furnished. I'm presuming that you want unfurnished so that you can build up your own supply of furniture. Would it be worth getting a furnished place but make an agreement that as you buy bits the landlord would take bits away? They may not have a space but you could try to get somewhere that you could store them in a spare room. If nothing else gives you a bit more options to look at. Also I do agree about what someone said that landlords may see you as a risk. Also you don't have any previous rental references. I'd be totally upfront with landlords about this but ask if they'd accept a personal reference or work reference instead. Let them know from the outset that you are as mature & repsonsible as you sound.

Woah - did not mean for that to be as long as it was. Anyway good luck & hope it all works out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Me and my girlfriend who are both 18 can't find any nice properties around the baldoyle area or within a 20 minutes drive.

We both have full time jobs, I earn €650 PW she earns €470 PW (Both is net pay)
    I also make €250 Betting PW.

We need a two bed property as we are trying for a baby. We plan to rent for 3 years while saving for a mortgage. We want the deposit and at least 35% of the mortgage.

We don't want to pay more than €900 PM for a property and would like it unfurnished or modern

We have searched for months on Daft and My home.
    Any advice on finding a nice property.

You are very young to young to be thinking of having a baby. Why don't you take up part time work as a child minder ...see what you think of doing that full time 24/7 for the next 17/18 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

In 10/15 years my dad will leave me with the company and will get raises over the next decade same with my GF. Both work with family and will get bonuses/promotions ahead of everyone else.
    We don't partically want to travel a 2 week holiday every summer is fine.
    As for kids we both want 2.
    ( myself I want to girls) she doesn't mind

there were plenty of assumptions like that made over the last 10-15 years or so ..............

Assume nothing about future earnings etc ... while the future looks rosy at the moment ... that is due to rose-tinted glasses.

By all means rent a place together and see how things are 12 months down the line .... many a solid long term relationship collapsed after a couple of months of co-habiting.

If you still want to buy a place together in 12 months go for it ... but what I'd be more concerned with is a couple of 18 year old love-birds wanting to start a family. When / If you grow tired of living with each other you can just move on .. unfortunately you can't just give back a child.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

have you ever lived together before.... i'd say live together for at least a year before you try for a baby. Get settled in to living independently before you go rushing into things.

have you ever lived together before.... i'd say live together for at least a year before you try for a baby. Get settled in to living independently before you go rushing into things.

it could be the cheapest rental they ever had ... a lesson on life nothing like it. Best of luck to the OP anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

People change an awful lot in their early to mid 20s. You have an awful lot of growing up and maturing to do yet; having a baby and contemplating a mortgage together when you are still teenagers is something that you could live to regret for a very long time. How you feel at 18 may not even remotely resemble how you feel at 23.

This isnt personal issues and I apologize for the off topic response, but live together first (in rented accomodation) until you reach your mid 20s; do some travelling, enjoy being young and free of responsibilities while you still can, and if in 7-8 years you still want to settle down with this girl then you can do so knowing that you will have no regrets at the things that you would have otherwise missed out on by having a kid so young.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

As much as you all have opinions on this guy's personal life, you have no right to tell him he's too young to do what he wants with his life.
    If he wants a baby, that's his choice.

He didn't come here to be judged on that, so I reckon people should just stick to the OP's question in the first place and keep your opinions on his personal life to yourself.

fussyonion wrote: »
    As much as you all have opinions on this guy's personal life, you have no right to tell him he's too young to do what he wants with his life.

He didn't come here to be judged on that, so I reckon people should just stick to the OP's question in the first place and keep your opinions on his personal life to yourself.

true but when you have gone through this period i ln your life it is possible to look back and say with honesty to yourself there is alot of rose tented glasses going around at that time. if yku can empart some solid advise to you guy whats the harm.His man enough now to takee it or leave it. Anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 10,924 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don't think anyone is judging him. They are just giving advice and part of his reason to get a place is to have a family. So I think this be a part to discuss.

What I would tell is for the OP to follow his heart however do not rush into anything. Live a little together have a bit of fun. Also do not think the jobs are secure anything can happen you just have to look at what happened in the last few years here. No company is safe either. Before you buy your place yourself and your girlfriend need to sit down and do some maths. See what you have what you can put away.

Calculate rent, electricity, heating, household tax, water charges etc. Next you must calculate how much you can put into an account for your morgage further down the line. Don't be listening to the people who say renting is dead money this country puts 2 much into owning land. Plan for the future is the worse come to worse because it can happen. Just because the family own the business does not mean as I said things can go bad. Also don't forget having a baby aint cheap.

Good luck with whatever you do and I wish you luck.

• Advertisement

Its friendly advice; nothing more. 18 years of age is far too young to be thinking about settling down and having a family. There are things that you should be doing as a young adult that you will miss out on and never be able to do again. Its the OPs life; they are entitled to live it how they see fit, but I would hate to think of anyone getting to their mid 20s and feeling like they missed out on one of the best periods of their life because nobody spoke up and told them not to rush into maturity and responsibility. I know of too many people that either willingly or otherwise found themselves in that position too early in life and would not do it again if given a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Oops .. did I stumble into Personal Issues by mistake?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Absolutely mental to be buying a house and having kids at 18.

The almost universal opinion of anyone with a bit of life experience is to tell you to not rush in to things like mortgages and babies, and there's a reason for that! It's because they know that people change a lot in their late teens/early twenties.

You're young and ya have a bit of cash, have some fun ffs! If you're still together at 24/25, then start a family. But the chances of you still being together then are slim.

Absolutely mental to be buying a house and having kids at 18.

The almost universal opinion of anyone with a bit of life experience is to tell you to not rush in to things like mortgages and babies, and there's a reason for that! It's because they know that people change a lot in their late teens/early twenties.

You're young and ya have a bit of cash, have some fun ffs! If you're still together at 24/25, then start a family. But the chances of you still being together then are slim.

Why is a slim chance that we will still be together in 7 years ?
    We have been with eachother for 5 nearly 6 years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Because people change.

I knew couples who were together all through school too, none of them are together anymore.

You both have a lot of growing and maturing left to do yet. People can change an awful lot between your teens and your mid 20s; what you both want now might be very different from what you want in 7 years time. I dont want to sound down about it, but its for good reason that nobody in their right mind would ever advise you to make major life decisions at such a young age. Believe me, the last thing you want is to find yourself 25 years of age with a mortgage and a 5 year old kid, looking for a way out of it all. Go out, enjoy life for a while, enjoy being young and free from any major responsibility. Its the only time in your life that you will have this sort of freedom. There will be plenty of time for kids and mortgages in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

My advice is live together at least two years before trying for a baby or a mortgage - the round of Christmas, all the other holidays, being together and really understanding what it is to live together full time.

Also, take the time to draw up a proper budget, similar to what you would be paying if you did have a baby and a mortgage, and try to stick to it for the two years - that way you will know if your plans are realistic or not.

Good luck!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Maybe Buy an iphone 5 charger...

O.......... Kaaaaayyyyyy......?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

He should finish the leaving cert first. He will have more money

"Hey I'm starting 6th in a months and in looking for advice on the year and maybe my subjects. The course in doing only need roughly 230 points"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement