Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Word being 'helpful'...

Options
  • 08-08-2013 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭

Hi tech-savvies.

OK, probably a minor issue, and a straightforward one, but my tech-patience is at a historically low ebb.

Following the implosion of my own long suffering laptop, I'm using a borrowed machine to complete a thesis. On my own steam-powered machine I used a nothing fancy, nuts 'n' bolts copy of OpenOffice Write. It did the job, and we got along famously.

On the borrowed computer (thanks kind housemate) I'm stuck with Word 2010. My question: How the FUNK do I stop Word being 'helpful' as regards formatting, introducing bullet points I don't want and didn't ask for, skipping to the end of a doc when I press the TAB key, etc......... etc ........ etc...... :confused:

How do I get it to stop melting my brain, how do I get it to act as a basic nothing-fancy-just-type-it-and-the-program-will-do-what-you-tell-it-and-nothing-else word processor, so I can finish this piece of work and get back to having a life?!? :mad:

Thanks in advance. The safety of my housemate's shiny bells 'n' whistles laptop may depend on your response!

If I could get my hands round the throat of Bill Poxy Gates right now.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Hop into Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type

From there you can disable all the autoformatting you don't want.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭endacl

maki wrote: »
    Hop into Options > Proofing > Autocorrect Options > Autoformat as you type

From there you can disable all the autoformatting you don't want.
    Thanks maki. I was expecting 'turn it off and on again'!

I'll give that a go...

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You could give Wordpad a try. It's pretty basic, but if you don't need anything special it might do the job. Plus it doesn't have any of the "smart" formatting features that its bigger brother has.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

Could just install openoffice, or run a portable version if you can't install stuff.

Thanks folks. Suggestion one seems to have done the job.

:D

Now..... Any suggestions on improving two-finger speed typing?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,312 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im both amused that someone should complain that Word tries to improve the document with bulletpoints etc. and also that you wouldn't just install the free program you were accustomed to. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

For those people using MS Office 2007....

Open word

Click on the Office Button in top left hand corner

Down on the bottom right, click on Word Options tab

Click on Proofing and then make your selections/options

Overheal wrote: »
    Im both amused that someone should complain that Word tries to improve the document with bulletpoints etc. and also that you wouldn't just install the free program you were accustomed to. :p

Just manners really. It's not my computer to go installing stuff the owner doesnt want. I'll respect their wish to have their property treated as they like. Happy your amused though.

Only a matter of asking, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Overheal wrote: »

It's not his computer to install stuff on. And why wouldn't people complain about bullet points. I never see them get it right. Any word processor. The numbering is a nightmare too.

• Advertisement

shleedance wrote: »
    Only a matter of asking, though.

The owner is hiking through Costa Rica. Lucky sod.

If you had the portable version, you would not be installing anything. Plop it onto a USB stick and run it from there.

Doesn't really matter at this point. Maki's suggestion worked.

Advertisement