Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Distance: location / event org. Or distance??

Options
  • 08-08-2013 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Just throwing this one out there, are people that are picking long distance (Ironman) events picking there actual race based on location around the world?? Who is organising the event Ironman, Challenge or home events (shadowman, hard man) or the actual distance. As in it doesn't matter who sets it up, "I just want to do the distance"....

Something nice about after doing months of training travelling to a different country doing a big event. But a lot to be said for doing the distance in Ireland with no big travel headaches..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

TheEagles wrote: »
    Just throwing this one out there, are people that are picking long distance (Ironman) events picking there actual race based on location around the world?? Who is organising the event Ironman, Challenge or home events (shadowman, hard man) or the actual distance. As in it doesn't matter who sets it up, "I just want to do the distance"....

Something nice about after doing months of training travelling to a different country doing a big event. But a lot to be said for doing the distance in Ireland with no big travel headaches..

For me it's the weather. For me, anything longer than Olympic in Ireland is roulette with the weather and I don't enjoy cold, driving wind, rain or hail.
    That's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

The Irish who travel to ironman races outside Europe tend to be in the minority. So from that you can conclude location around the world is certainly factor. As much as I'd like to do IM New Zealand, unless I come by a substatial windfall I'm very unlikely to travel that far for a single race. Same for IM Brazil or any of the Australian Ironmans. If I'm ever good enough to qualify for Kona, I'd be willing to travel half way round the world. But for an ordinary race such a trip wouldn't be worth it, when there are plenty of alternatives closer to home.

As far as the organisers go, if it were the Challenge Family or the WTC organising it, I'd be confident of it being a good event even if it was the race's debut year.

Other than that if I was to train for an iron distance race, I'd only be willing to enter if it had been going for at least two years and had earned a reputation as a well run and successful event.

So basically everything you mention is somewhat of a consideration and as of now, there are no events in Ireland that fit these criteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Signed up for my first Ironman this year (Austria 2014), picked it because....

(a) weather - did Skerries Half and was very wild/windy/wet so that ruled out all Irish/UK events for me.

(b) time of year - was looking for June/July next year

(c) size - I'm probably only going to do one long distance, so want a big race with crowds etc.

So that left me with Ironman Austria, Frankfurt and Challenge Germany (can't remember where) Reading race reports Austria seemed the most appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Ya I think after months of training, facing into a day of wind and rain in Ireland would do nothing for me!! It's a shame the weather is so unreliable here.

But would people's minds change if the race was ran by either IM or Challenge here no matter the weather but knew the event would be very well ran...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ya I think after months of training, facing into a day of wind and rain in Ireland would do nothing for me!! It's a shame the weather is so unreliable here.

But would people's minds change if the race was ran by either IM or Challenge here no matter the weather but knew the event would be very well ran...
    Well I had considered IM Bolton or Wales but was put off by the weather (despite being official events). Would have been much easier to travel to (car in the boot/boat rather than high fees, wasn't going to chance 12hrs+ on a cold/wet day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 fastmummy

Who wants to battle wind and rain on top of the distance.

Challange Roth 2014 here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Some people need good weather, some need a flat course, some like lots of support, some want a big field. Whatever floats your boat. The race still needs to be well organised and safe. For me my first IM was a branded event (IMUK) as I wanted to do a branded race. My next two were small events in Ireland where logistics and costs were more important than brands, weather or size. Each had its pluses and minuses
    fastmummy wrote: »
    Who wants to battle wind and rain on top of the distance.

Challange Roth 2014 here I come

Is that you D ;)

An iron man, and clever.
    P :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ciah

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Well I had considered IM Bolton or Wales but was put off by the weather (despite being official events). Would have been much easier to travel to (car in the boot/boat rather than high fees, wasn't going to chance 12hrs+ on a cold/wet day.
    IMWales 2012 was an outstanding event due the atmosphere created by a large number of supporters. Outstanding scenery also contributed. The weather turned a bit drizzly for the last hour or so on the bike but this made the run less dehydrating.

Going to the continent is no guarantee of good weather. IM Frankfurt was hit by cold nasty wet weather 2 or 3 years ago.
    Being too hot can also be a major problem as is often an issue for the Irish at IM Nice.
    Events with a sea swim carry a risk of a swim cancellation.
    A cycle in gale or storm force winds can be difficult or even dangerous. The cancelled swim and stormy bike can coincide. This happened at Eireman in 2009.
    Would like to see a weather stats analysis for Ironman and Challenge events.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

It has to be the event.

Weather can be unpredictable - I did Frankfurt 3 years ago. it was about 8 degrees starting the bike and it lashed for the whole bike and rose to 12 degrees. The support was unbelievable on the course - I wonder what it would have been like in good weather.

Also did Lanza this year - great event and Roth last year - also great event but a pain to get to and sort accommodation.

Going back to Frankfurt next year!

• Advertisement

Any advice for accomadation and travel with Roth, getting a bit confused trying to decide on the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Mr Tango wrote: »
    It has to be the event.

Weather can be unpredictable - I did Frankfurt 3 years ago. it was about 8 degrees starting the bike and it lashed for the whole bike and rose to 12 degrees. The support was unbelievable on the course - I wonder what it would have been like in good weather.

Also did Lanza this year - great event and Roth last year - also great event but a pain to get to and sort accommodation.

Going back to Frankfurt next year!

Was it both Lanza and Roth that were a pain or just Roth?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

just roth.

FLew to frnakfurt (you can also fly to munich). Either way hire a car - c1.5-2hr drive to roth.

Only 1500 beds in roth so you either get a home stay (didn't realise you could do this when we went but wouldn't be mad keen on it). We stayed in Nurenburg. c30minutes from roth. Not that far but far enough when you are going up to the race site to register and then on race morning.

2 location transition so you park your car at the swim and then have to get a bus with your bike after the race back to the start - not too much hassle as it was well organised but then a 30 min drive back to accommodation is annoying (add to this we got off the bus at the wrong field and spent 20 mins looking for our car and you can understand the frustration).

Good race though but just bear this in mind.

Lanza is the other extreme - fly in there - stay in the Peurto del Carmin beside the airport(taxi - 15 euro with the bike) - we stayed in the ocean club apartments which were cheap, clean and 3 minute walk to the start line. Registration is the other side of the island but all that is over there is club la santa. We hired a car for the day at 30 euro to register. Nothing to do over there but Puerto del Carmen has bars, restaurants etc so if you have people with you it is good for them and you for after the race.

I will be in tow with hubby and 4 kids, so was thinking of doing the ferry to England then onto holland and then down to Roth.
    Think it will take roughly 24hrs door to door. Flying is looking more likely the more information I find out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

I will be in tow with hubby and 4 kids, so was thinking of doing the ferry to England then onto holland and then down to Roth.
    Think it will take roughly 24hrs door to door. Flying is looking more likely the more information I find out!

Speaking as a continental truck driver and long distance race finisher, you will be wrecked before you begin your race. Take the plane if possible and stay off your feet as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭vegas elvis

I drove from Waterford to Roth this year with ferries to the UK & Holland. Took the best part of a day and half (sleeping on the ferry to Holland). We shared the driving between two of us and didn't find it too bad

We camped about 8 km outside of Roth in a site just off the bike course, which I wouldn't be in a hurry to do again. If you are thinking of camper vanning it would be much better though especially if you are taking the family

If you are camping / camper vanning stay in one of the sites beside the swim start. Ours wasn't and it was a pain getting back to after the race.

Couldn't fault the organisation of the race itself - better than the two IM branded ones I've done but the split transition and lack of accommodation in Roth itself would put me off recommending it to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheEagles

Going through the replys from the 1st post, looks like you look at things from a few different stand points.
    Going aboard offers brand name, weather(maybe), crowds...but getting there can be expensive etc.
    Here at home offers far less travel issues and lower cost..but non branded, high chance of crap weather, not great support.

Advertisement