Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Corholio wrote: »
    So apparently Luthor could be a tattooed skin head who was once in a street gang?

http://latino-review.com/2014/02/exclusive-just-exactly-lex-luthor-batman-vs-superman/

Surely that article has zero credibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Surely that article has zero credibility.

They've gotten a lot of things right in the past.

Right, Hopefully the report soon on Affleck going then. :pac:

Honestly, the more I read about this film the worse it sounds. As a massive Batman fan, I wish they'd leave him out of it, and let Superman carry his own film series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I'd say of all the stuff announced so far Affleck is easily the least of the problems. I'm actually looking forward to seeing him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Regardless of credibility, there's little point believing anything reported is the final version of the script until we hear shooting has finished (and even then I wouldn't completely hold my breath!). Look to the production of Star Wars Episode VII for an example of this; scripts can change direction at the drop of a hat and can be tweaked, scrapped, rewritten and generally tinkered with all through shooting.

The summary sounds interesting enough, if it's true, though to be honest the description creates a further barrier in my mind between the Luthor being described by Latino Review and Jesse Eisenberg.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    Regardless of credibility, there's little point believing anything reported is the final version of the script until we hear shooting has finished (and even then I wouldn't completely hold my breath!). Look to the production of Star Wars Episode VII for an example of this; scripts can change direction at the drop of a hat and can be tweaked, scrapped, rewritten and generally tinkered with all through

True, Amazing Spider-Man was changed drastically from the plot even the initial trailers depicted too. Nothing's a given at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Mickeroo wrote: »
    True, Amazing Spider-Man was changed drastically from the plot even the initial trailers depicted too. Nothing's a given at this stage.

"Spider-Man: The Untold Story...welll, kinda, it's mostly stuff you already saw in a movie a decade ago and some mysterious parent stuff we never quite go too much into, enjoy!"

krudler wrote: »
    "Spider-Man: The Untold Story...welll, kinda, it's mostly stuff you already saw in a movie a decade ago and some mysterious parent stuff we never quite go too much into, enjoy!"

There was more of "the untold story" in the 90seconds trailers than there was in the finished movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

When is filming due to begin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Like when they said Bale would be playing Batman again in this film!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Frist picture from the start of her training to become WW.

GalGadot2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Frist picture from the start of her training to become WW.

GalGadot2.jpg

That pic is actually pathetic, I cannot believe they allowed this to get out. Horribly miscast, she just doesn't have the natural build to play her. She is going to find it near impossible to pack on the muscle required, unless she starts horsing down the steroids.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

givyjoe wrote: »
    That pic is actually pathetic, I cannot believe they allowed this to get out. Horribly miscast, she just doesn't have the natural build to play her. She is going to find it near impossible to pack on the muscle required, unless she starts horsing down the steroids.

She looks more ripped than anyone who's played WW in the past going by that pic.

She looks more ripped than anyone who's played WW in the past going by that pic.

You call that bee sting bicep ripped? Skinny people have naturally low body fat, and consequently next to zero muscle, hardly ripped. She looks far less the part than linda carter did.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I take it you didn't read the line saying "start of her training"? Building muscle takes time; perhaps pausing the fan indignation until the first proper photoshoot comes out would be a smarter choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Christian Bale (ala The Machinist) did not have the "natural" build to play Bats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Whats wrong with it. She's obviously read all the stuff about her being to skinny and wants to show people that she actually cares about the part she's playing and is putting in the work.

I take it you didn't read the line saying "start of her training"? Building muscle takes time; perhaps pausing the fan indignation until the first proper photoshoot comes would be a smarter choice?

Building muscle does not that take that much time if you are doing it full time. Thats a pretty shocking base line, she started as a super model yes? Hardly known for their imposing physical prowess. She's been training with Cavill since before xmas, so if that's her progress so far, not exactly encouraging. Cavill on the other hand is already reported to be in the same shape he was at his peak for MOS.

She's a terrible choice straight out of the gates, naturally does not have the build for it. Never mind any actually credible acting chops. And do you seriously think its wise at any point to pose like that, particularly if you look like that at the start of your training, maybe post a before and after pic, if you have actually been able to put on muscle.

[...] And do you seriously think its wise at any point to pose like that, particularly if you look like that at the start of your training, maybe post a before and after pic, if you have actually been able to put on muscle.

I'd seriously think she's just enjoying her training and thought it'd be fun to share her initial progress. But if you want to read that much into it and take it that seriously, that's your prerogative I guess. As it happens no, I don't think she's a great choice of actor, but getting enraged about the training progress she chose to share on a whim is more than a bit ... fanboy'ish :)

I'd seriously think she's just enjoying her training and thought it'd be fun to share her initial progress. But if you want to read that much into it and take it that seriously, that's your prerogative I guess. As it happens no, I don't think she's a great choice of actor, but getting enraged about the training progress she chose to share on a whim is more than a bit ... fanboy'ish :)

Fanboyish?! Are you presuming im some sort of comic book geek?! Its not her initial progress, its a pic she posted on FB... MONTHS after starting her program. Its practically zero progress on muscle mass, the character she is playing looks like nothing like her, physically (i.e. strong and not a stick insect super model! The fact she is unlikely to be able to pull off the physical aspect of the role, never mind acting is mind boggling.

And as for her enjoying her progress and wanting to share it, id be shocked if they actors weren't under strict orders to keep that sort of thing under wraps, particularly if she looks like that!

People gave out that Brandon routh wasn't bulked enough for Superman Returns, compare that to Gadot's 'progress'!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Building muscle does not that take that much time if you are doing it full time. Thats a pretty shocking base line, she started as a super model yes? Hardly known for their imposing physical prowess. She's been training with Cavill since before xmas, so if that's her progress so far, not exactly encouraging. Cavill on the other hand is already reported to be in the same shape he was at his peak for MOS.

She's a terrible choice straight out of the gates, naturally does not have the build for it. Never mind any actually credible acting chops. And do you seriously think its wise at any point to pose like that, particularly if you look like that at the start of your training, maybe post a before and after pic, if you have actually been able to put on muscle.

I'm not sure, but I do know she was in the Israeli Army for 2 years, so I'm gonna assume she has the toughness to bare fruit from a difficult physical regime.

I'm not sure, but I do know she was in the Israeli Army for 2 years, so I'm gonna assume she has the toughness to bare fruit from a difficult physical regime.

All Israeli's have to do it, im not sure of exact details though. But she didn't volunteer and wasn't selected based on her natural physical toughness. On paper that sounds good, 'actress' who was in military, great.

Anyway, its not about BEING tough, its about acting/looking the part, id be astounded if she managed either.

Every single reaction I've seen so far, men and women, is wtf... SHE is wonder woman?! You wouldn't say that for Cavill, or Routh before him.

As you can tell, this casting has me wound up :D

Fanboyish?! Are you presuming im some sort of comic book geek?![...]

When you post on the Superman/Batman thread, getting ranty about the relative physical appearance of Wonder Woman from a random selfie, yeah; it's not the most unlikely possibility in the world. Nothing wrong with being a geek you know. I shudder to think how you might react when she poses in costume for the first marketing pics :)

When you post on the Superman/Batman thread, getting ranty about the relative physical appearance of Wonder Woman from a random selfie, yeah; it's not the most unlikely possibility in the world. Nothing wrong with being a geek you know. I shudder to think how you might react when she poses in costume for the first marketing pics :)

The thing is, she posted it as a 'hey, look at all my muscles after all my working out'..! Not exactly random. I eagerly await the pics, which I will look at from behind the couch! Supposedly coming out shortly.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

All Israeli's have to do it, im not sure of exact details though. But she didn't volunteer and wasn't selected based on her natural physical toughness. On paper that sounds good, 'actress' who was in military, great.

I posted this back when she was first cast but seeing as we seem to be back on the issue....

Her 2 years in the army was spent as a "Sports Instructor" ......
    To become a fitness Instructor one must go through a 3 month training course. It includes 2.5 to 4 weeks of basic training and the rest of the time subject matter of being a fitness instructor. The Subject matter includes literal matter such as physiology, anatomy, kinesiology, gym certifation (names of the muscles, study of workout appliances, etc.), most common injuries among combat soldiers, and the importance of physical fitness.

The physical matter includes runs (sprints/long distance up to 7 km), strength excercises, and interval training. Following the training course a fitness instructor is sent to combat or combat support bases according to ones preformance in the course. Different bases and work levels include:
    Bachim (Basis Immune Chativati - base for basic training for combat soldiers) - high work level
    Bahadim (Basis Hadracha - Instructional bases) - high work level
    Gdudim (Batalions - bases where combat soldiers serve on the front lines) - low work level

Job description following training:
    - Development of and heading fitness programs
    - Coordinance of physical training programs (with high officers and commanders)

So... not only was she herself physically fit she was responsible for getting the rest of the army recruits physically fit too. As I said when I posted this before she would have all the background knowledge herself to bulk up or tone up or get into whatever physical shape that the studio would request of her even if they didn't have people hired solely to do that for the actors.

I posted this back when she was first cast but seeing as we seem to be back on the issue....

Her 2 years in the army was spent as a "Sports Instructor" ......

So... not only was she herself physically fit she was responsible for getting the rest of the army recruits physically fit too. As I said when I posted this before she would have all the background knowledge herself to bulk up or tone up or get into whatever physical shape that the studio would request of her even if they didn't have people hired solely to do that for the actors.

So why hasn't she been able to bulk herself up so? Have you looked at her 'progress' in the picture?! Knowledge doesn't change genetics, some people have extraordinarily hard times putting on muscle mass, just the way they are built. She clearly has the body type associated with someone who struggles to do this. You don't need to be able to bulk yourself up to help others do so. A la the chap who is training Henry Cavill. Not out of shape or scrawny, but no where near what is required for the role himself, but Cavill sure is.

Physically fit and bulk are two completely different things, the lads I go the gym with are extremely well built but would die and quick death if they had to run on treadmill for any kind of prolonged period. Im sure she is extremely fit, but she doesn't look capable of putting on the muscle mass required, either before she started or now that she is several months into her routine.

I had no problem accepting the likes of Sarah Michelle Gellar or Summer Glau beating the crap out of people and neither of their characters had super powers as an excuse.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

So why hasn't she been able to bulk herself up so? Have you looked at her 'progress' in the picture?! Knowledge doesn't change genetics, some people have extraordinarily hard times putting on muscle mass, just the way they are built. She clearly has the body type associated with someone who struggles to do this. You don't need to be able to bulk yourself up to help others do so. A la the chap who is training Henry Cavill. Not out of shape or scrawny, but no where near what is required for the role himself, but Cavill sure is.

Physically fit and bulk are two completely different things, the lads I go the gym with are extremely well built but would die and quick death if they had to run on treadmill for any kind of prolonged period. Im sure she is extremely fit, but she doesn't look capable of putting on the muscle mass required, either before she started or now that she is several months into her routine.

Can you show me some previous official incarnation of Wonder Woman where she's actually bulked up rather than just having muscular definition?

Tall toned and depending on what uniform they will have her in I wouldn't be to worried her not looking the part.

It might not be a big role in the movie anyway.

For all we know she may be just playing Diana Prince in the film she might not appear as WW at all in the film it could just be a post credit WW leading into her own movie depend on how much of a success Superman/Batman is.

I had no problem accepting the likes of Sarah Michelle Gellar or Summer Glau beating the crap out of people and neither of their characters had super powers as an excuse.

Buffy was totally a super powered girl

• Advertisement

Buffy was totally a super powered girl

I was talking about Sarah Michelle Gellar not Buffy :P

I've not watched the entire show but I thought she was just really well trained at martial arts and that, I know here was stuff about slayers being kind of chosen ones and all that but not like she'd have been up to going toe to toe with Supes.

They showed in later seasons how the spirit of a daemon was trapped into the body, of the first Slayer, and that passed down to each one.
    (I THINK!!)

I still kinda get what the fuss is about though. The whole point of Buffy and River was that they were normal girls.
    Diana Prince is an Amazonian warrior princess (including her stature).
    To be honest I think that she will easily be physical enough for the role (starting the generation of muscle mass can be the hardest), if not the acting levels (she was only passable in F&F series in acting but easily able to do her action sequences). Diana is also ripped not bulked out to Arnold levels.
    I think that half the issue with the fan boys is Diana looks bigger because she has a massive rack.

I think that half the issue with the fan boys is Diana looks bigger because she has a massive rack.

Well if that's all the fan boys want, then I'm with them! :pac:

Seriously, look at an image of WW and Gal.
    Picture Gal with a large chest and the remaining differences are easily achievable

Seriously, look at an image of WW and Gal.
    Picture Gal with a large chest and the remaining differences are easily achievable

No need for the big 80's hair though I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i would assume that she posted that skinny arm so everyone can ooo and ah over how big she will look in comparison

i'd say that pic is a before and was taken a while ago

Tigger wrote: »
    i would assume that she posted that skinny arm so everyone can ooo and ah over how big she will look in comparison

i'd say that pic is a before and was taken a while ago

Ha, you be forgiven for thinking that. It's actually a pic she posted on her FB page in recent days 'showing off' her progress. Bit strange if she was showing and managed to post an old pic. I read the article somewhere else yesterday, don't have link.

I think she will be a lot better of a WW than these two.

adriannepalicki_53014PCN_WonderWoman04.jpgWW-009copy.jpg

Can you show me some previous official incarnation of Wonder Woman where she's actually bulked up rather than just having muscular definition?

When I say bulked up, I mean it in the female sense. The character has excellent muscular definition, this actress clearly does not. You can see her extremely thing wrists and complete lack of tricep muscle in the photo, not to mention the lack of deltoids or traps. She has practically zero progress in looking like what the character actually looks like, isn't that the point?

lets have stick thin superman too while we're at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

These threads always descend into the stupidest, stupidest crap. And yet I always keep reading. Sigh.

There has been a dozen variations on Wonder Woman so you can pretty much cast any actress you want in the role and find some reference in the comics. Personally I don't care if they cast a WW who is psychically imposing, as long as the actress can act and be convincing that's all that matters. All the critique of a simple picture is a little sad and shows fanboys in a bad light. If you find the casting so off putting then don't go see the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

A Neurotic wrote: »
    These threads always descend into the stupidest, stupidest crap. And yet I always keep reading. Sigh.

Haha, yep.

Just another day...& just another banal drivel driven report about nothing.

Darko, take a run and jump with your condescending comments and reference to fanboys. If acting ability was all that mattered, why not get someone like Adrian Brody (oscar winner?) as superman?! Oh wait, superman is supposed to be physically imposing...

simple question, is that woman skinny? Yes and she will look ridiculous if she doesn't seriously pack on muscle.

its the nature of the film/genre and she is woefullly miscast with that in mind.

lets see how ridiculous she looks when in costume in a few weeks.

why not get someone like Adrian Brody (oscar winner?) as superman?! Oh wait, superman is supposed to be physically imposing...

I thought Brody bulked up quite well in Predators.

07HYCED03-Preadator_159169e.jpg

I thought Brody bulked up quite well in Predators.

07HYCED03-Preadator_159169e.jpg

I could see it:

tumblr_mdo3squh871rvhk4ho1_400.jpg

• Advertisement

Darko, take a run and jump with your condescending comments and reference to fanboys. If acting ability was all that mattered, why not get someone like Adrian Brody (oscar winner?) as superman?! Oh wait, superman is supposed to be physically imposing...

simple question, is that woman skinny? Yes and she will look ridiculous if she doesn't seriously pack on muscle.

its the nature of the film/genre and she is woefullly miscast with that in mind.

lets see how ridiculous she looks when in costume in a few weeks.

Hardly condescending, I read comics all the time but don't feel the need to get upset and cry whenever an adaptation doesn't go out if its way to appeal directly to me. There is nothing wrong with the casting here, while she may not be the most imposing figure I'd take her over some beefed up talentless entity.

Dean Cain, Reeves, Routh, none of those is what I would call imposing but they worked in the role. The months of training certainly helped them get into character but I imagine that none of them looked beefed up after just a few months.

Fanboys are the worst kind of commentators. They will take every little piece of information and make a big deal over it. It's like when Craig was cast as Bobd or Cruise as Reacher. They made a huge deal out of the casting, tried to start campaigns to get both fired and then went out of their way to get people to boycott the films. The same is shaping up here, fanboys who think they know better are giving out over tiny, insignificant things. "Oh my god her muscles after just a few months of training aren't huge, it's a personal attack on me".

Cruise as Reacher.

I've only read a few Reacher books. But not once did I imagine him looking like Tom Cruise :P

I know that you have a bee in your bonnet about Cruise as Reacher but I (after seeing the film) still do not think that he portrayed Reacher. I read the books and for me Cruise did not pull it off

I know that you have a bee in your bonnet about Cruise as Reacher but I (after seeing the film) still do not think that he portrayed Reacher. I read the books and for me Cruise did not pull it off

He wasn't exactly what was on the page but he made the role his own and was far better than anyone gave him credit for. It was an interesting take on the character and worked, I'd take Cruise over some lesser actor who simply matched the characters on page description.

He did make the role his own but by changing the character. And usually I am ok with that but there comes a point where it is not that character anymore. It is a fine line and everyone is going to have a different appreciation of it.
    It could be that I view Tom Cruise as playing Tom Cruise in most of his recent films

• Advertisement
Advertisement