Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

I thought Brody bulked up quite well in Predators.

07HYCED03-Preadator_159169e.jpg

He's like an ironing board with a massive schnoz on it.
    What the hell were they thinking putting him in Predators?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

MJ23 wrote: »
    He's like an ironing board with a massive schnoz on it.
    What the hell were they thinking putting him in Predators?

Is Predators any good actually?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Is Predators any good actually?

It was grand, nothing special; had an interesting concept in dropping a bunch of murderers and psychos into a jungle for Preds to hunt, but the film's main failing (from what I recall) was it being far too eager to nod to the past films; it was cluttered with references. It also played things a tad too straight which didn't help either - it had none of the cheesy charm of the first two films.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I remember wanting to see it when it came out as it has Walton Goggins from the Shield in it but I missed it at the cinema.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He wasn't exactly what was on the page but he made the role his own and was far better than anyone gave him credit for. It was an interesting take on the character and worked, I'd take Cruise over some lesser actor who simply matched the characters on page description.

But the thing is it wasn't Reacher in any sense of the character, bar the name on the cover. Why can't you have both? A good actor and someone who matches the description. While I agree that the criticism with Gal Gadot over 1 photo is ridiculous, you made the same comparison there. Skinny and good actress or beefy and poor actress - why not both? Although I don't think that question can be answered until the film comes out.

Reacher was just Cruise as Ethan Hunt basically. As Reacher it certainly didn't work, as a somewhat decent action film is partly did. Straying from the original material can be forgiven a lot, but I don't think it can when it comes to the actual core of the character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Hardly condescending, I read comics all the time but don't feel the need to get upset and cry whenever an adaptation doesn't go out if its way to appeal directly to me. There is nothing wrong with the casting here, while she may not be the most imposing figure I'd take her over some beefed up talentless entity.

Dean Cain, Reeves, Routh, none of those is what I would call imposing but they worked in the role. The months of training certainly helped them get into character but I imagine that none of them looked beefed up after just a few months.

Fanboys are the worst kind of commentators. They will take every little piece of information and make a big deal over it. It's like when Craig was cast as Bobd or Cruise as Reacher. They made a huge deal out of the casting, tried to start campaigns to get both fired and then went out of their way to get people to boycott the films. The same is shaping up here, fanboys who think they know better are giving out over tiny, insignificant things. "Oh my god her muscles after just a few months of training aren't huge, it's a personal attack on me".

Are you having a laugh, you don't think any of that tosh is condescending..?!

There you go with fanboy again... care to explain what a fanboy is and explain exactly how it refers to me..? People saying ahhh its just one pic including you... its one pic, MONTHS after she started training and it looks as if she HASNT started. She posted the pic to say 'hey look at me and my muscles' not hey, look how skinny I am because I've just started!

You quite clearly have directed your smart ass comments specifically at me, so not sure how else they are supposed to be taken?!

Others have quite clearly disagreed with me, which isn't a problem, but your snide comments are really tiresome.

As for brody, I may as well be talking to a wall, he still looked 'thin' and in no way imposing or believable in his role. Sure he was a whole lot bigger than when he started, but not big enough not to look silly. And is anyone seriously suggesting that he would have the physique to play superman... come off it.

Nothing wrong with the casting is nonsense, she's not exactly Oscar grade material and doesn't tick the box's for the physique required, so yes.. there is something wrong with the casting. All my point was, and still is.. is that she has zero muscles and will look silly, simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

givyjoe wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with the casting is nonsense, she's not exactly Oscar grade material and doesn't tick the box's for the physique required, so yes.. there is something wrong with the casting. All my point was, and still is.. is that she has zero muscles and will look silly, simple.

We still don't know what they have in mind for Wonder Woman, based on the casting, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole Amazonian Princess from the island Themyscira origin was scrapped in favour of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

People saying ahhh its just one pic including you... its one pic, MONTHS after she started training and it looks as if she HASNT started. She posted the pic to say 'hey look at me and my muscles' not hey, look how skinny I am because I've just started!

givyjoe, I think you have an exaggerated idea of the amount of muscle a woman can put on in 3-6 months. Its around 0.25 -0.5 lbs ( .11 - .22 kg ) of lean muscle per month.

She was announced as WW 2 months ago. So lets give her 4 months of knowing before that. Thats puts her at 6 months of training until now.

Also if she's training with gymjones she'll be doing more athletic work that bodybuilding work

The movie starts filming later this year. They prob won't film her as "Wonder Woman" until near the end of filming. Relax ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

givyjoe, I think you have an exaggerated idea of the amount of muscle a woman can put on in 3-6 months. Its around 0.25 -0.5 lbs ( .11 - .22 kg ) of lean muscle per month.

She was announced as WW 2 months ago. So lets give her 4 months of knowing before that. Thats puts her at 6 months of training until now.

Also if she's training with gymjones she'll be doing more athletic work that bodybuilding work

The movie starts filming later this year. They prob won't film her as "Wonder Woman" until near the end of filming. Relax ;)

Yes, 6 months of training and that's her progress, precisely my point! It's pretty obvious she has a body type not conducive to building muscle mass! She looks as though she hasn't trained at all, just not eaten very much food!

So hopefully she does put a whole load more muscle, but people saying she looks fine to play the role as she is now is just ludicrous :eek:

This sounds a little like how Luther Blissett ended playing for Ac Milan, they came looking for John Barnes his team mate, and ended up with Blissett. In this case Gina Carano is John Barnes... !:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Seriously lads....3 pages debating a selfie pic!? Muscle mass....?ffs

Must be very slow on the MOS2 news front

Is there anything else going on that we can discuss?

• Advertisement

We're getting way off topic here .

BUT I said

6 months @ 0.5 lbs per month is 3 lbs or 1.5 kg of muscle over her WHOLE body

5-lbs-of-fat-vs-muscle3.jpg

For reference
    l_344e8fe0-34fc-11e2-b03e-a7e7c6700009.jpg

5lbs/ 2.2 kg of muscle is the same size as 3 tangerines and your expecting big biceps with maybe 3 lbs/1.3 kg of lean muscle growth.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So hopefully she does put a whole load more muscle, but people saying she looks fine to play the role as she is now is just ludicrous :eek:

Not really. I'm still not sure where your getting the idea that Wonder Woman has always been portrayed as muscular from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We're getting way off topic here .

BUT I said

6 months @ 0.5 lbs per month is 3 lbs or 1.5 kg of muscle over her WHOLE body

5-lbs-of-fat-vs-muscle3.jpg

For reference
    l_344e8fe0-34fc-11e2-b03e-a7e7c6700009.jpg

5lbs/ 2.2 kg of muscle is the same size as 3 tangerines and your expecting big biceps with maybe 3 lbs/1.3 kg of lean muscle growth.

Stahp pls

I wonder have other Superman/Batman threads around the world taken the same route as this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Looking at youtube I imagine that they have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd say Warner Bros are very happy it's all talk about WW and not about Ben Affleck at this stage.

I was thinking the same. WW, as far as we know, will be a small part (if not just a reveal).

The Affleck reaction was a huge potential timebomb that has now been completely sidetracked

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Not really. I'm still not sure where your getting the idea that Wonder Woman has always been portrayed as muscular from.

This is why I asked him to show me whatever previous incarnation of the character he's basing his concept of WW on. Lynda Carter was not muscular, she barely even had any muscular definition. I would go so far as to say that Gal Gadot already has more muscular definition than Carter had.
    I've googled WW comics and I can't see any versions of her, that are actually DC art and not fan art, where she's portrayed as being hugely muscular.

Also.... given the Lex casting, not that long ago, it's amazing people are still worked up about WW at all.

She is often portrayed as toned, not muscular.
    The only thing is that she (as far as I have seen) never been shown as supermodel thin. There is always a bit of meat to her.

Gadot will be fine in the role physically, they will just have to feed her spuds.

• Advertisement

I think people are using the whole muscles thing as a there not big enough but what we really mean is her chest isn't big enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Keep it civil please, folks. Unpleasant tone to a few posts here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

She'll probably be in the film for all of 2 minutes anyway.

And I bet she'll be ****ing deadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I wonder have other Superman/Batman threads around the world taken the same route as this one.

I’d say this is mild compared to the threads at SuperHeroHype and the like. They had exhaustive debates about every aspect of Henry Cavill and Tom Hardy's physiques. Who knew comic book fans knew so much about building muscle.

Corholio wrote: »
    But the thing is it wasn't Reacher in any sense of the character, bar the name on the cover. Why can't you have both? A good actor and someone who matches the description. While I agree that the criticism with Gal Gadot over 1 photo is ridiculous, you made the same comparison there. Skinny and good actress or beefy and poor actress - why not both? Although I don't think that question can be answered until the film comes out.

Reacher was just Cruise as Ethan Hunt basically. As Reacher it certainly didn't work, as a somewhat decent action film is partly did. Straying from the original material can be forgiven a lot, but I don't think it can when it comes to the actual core of the character.

You can have both but sometimes there's compromises made. Jack Reacher worked with Cruise because they adapted the character to suit him and while it would have been interesting to see someone like The Rock given s chance, all things considered we didn't do too badly.
    Are you having a laugh, you don't think any of that tosh is condescending..?!

There you go with fanboy again... care to explain what a fanboy is and explain exactly how it refers to me..? People saying ahhh its just one pic including you... its one pic, MONTHS after she started training and it looks as if she HASNT started. She posted the pic to say 'hey look at me and my muscles' not hey, look how skinny I am because I've just started!

You quite clearly have directed your smart ass comments specifically at me, so not sure how else they are supposed to be taken?!

Others have quite clearly disagreed with me, which isn't a problem, but your snide comments are really tiresome.

As for brody, I may as well be talking to a wall, he still looked 'thin' and in no way imposing or believable in his role. Sure he was a whole lot bigger than when he started, but not big enough not to look silly. And is anyone seriously suggesting that he would have the physique to play superman... come off it.

A fanboy is the kind of person who thinks that they know better than anyone else. You are coming across as one given how critical you are of the casting based on a single picture. You have no idea what the filmmakers envision for the character, you haven't seen a script or have any inside knowledge of the production but you seem to think you know better than them.

People made similar arguments when Daniel Craig was cast as Bond, fanboys complained that a blonde actor couldn't play the role. Same thing with Ledger as the Joker. The Internet was full of nasty comments and complaints that they'd ruined the character.

She could end up being a terrible Wonder Woman but honestly it's not like the bar has been set very high by last attempts at putting the character onscreen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Without wanting to use the term "Fanboy" I feel I'll ultimately fail to get my point across.
    Firstly, people need to f*cking relax about everything! There is a director/directors trying to make our childhood dreams a little more real, a little more visual, a little more tangible. It sounds like the director has already failed. We've seen a scarce few shots of Wonder Woman's arms, and we know who's cast as Batman, so it's safe to say it's all gone downhill. She's not from the Amazon, she's not the size we want, and she doesn't fulfill the acting requirements...
    Lucy Lawless called, she wants to know if you were unable to contact her 12 years ago...

Movie making has progressed, but not as far as man's imagination. Nolan created a self-contained (near) masterpiece. We are naive to expect that from every subsequent director solely because Nolan was associated with the related franchise!!!

• Advertisement

I remember wanting to see it when it came out as it has Walton Goggins from the Shield in it but I missed it at the cinema.

I take it that you have been watching Justified so? He is great in that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Damn Lucy Lawless would have been THE pick 10 years ago for a stand alone feature. She is Wonder woman and commands huge presence.

Given the right set of ingredients, I'd have no doubt she would have turned in an ICONIC performance not seen since Christopher Reeve's Superman.

Hell I still think she could do it, what age was Amy Adams in MOS? 38?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

There is a rumour on AICN that says Michael B. Jordan might be in line to play Victor Stone/Cyborg.

fwaefwaefrch_large.jpg

Copious amounts of salt suggested.

^ I've seen this from numerous sources but I've also seen the same sources announce he's playing Johnny Storm (is that the right name? Human Torch guy) in the new Fantastic Four films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The AICN article says he would only be needed for a few days filming so I assume he would make a brief appearance but would be involved heavily in the JLA movie - meaning he would still have time to do FF.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So the only question remaining is: who from the Justice League isn't rumoured (or confirmed) to be in this?

Otacon wrote: »
    The AICN article says he would only be needed for a few days filming so I assume he would make a brief appearance but would be involved heavily in the JLA movie - meaning he would still have time to do FF.

Fantastic Four is Marvel though, Superman is DC, would he be allowed play a major character for both studios?

Fantastic Four is Marvel though, Superman is DC, would he be allowed play a major character for both studios?

Who's gonna nab him first !?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The last guy to play the Human Torch got away with it!

The last guy to play the Human Torch got away with it!

Very true... but they weren't franchises that were running at the same time. Good few years between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

FF is with Fox though, who I'd imagine are less anal than Marvel when it comes it comes to their actors and what roles they take on elsewhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,435 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    So the only question remaining is: who from the Justice League isn't rumoured (or confirmed) to be in this?

No-one linked to Jon Jonz yet :(

Nothing really concrete about Green Lantern or Aquaman either, though wouldn't be surprised if they ditched Aquaman tbh.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No-one linked to Jon Jonz yet :(

Nothing really concrete about Green Lantern or Aquaman either, though wouldn't be surprised if they ditched Aquaman tbh.

3425935-aquaman+sucks.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

They seem to be trying to make Captain Marvel/Shazam a more prominent member of JL as well. (Basing this off games and animated movies, don't read the current comics)

Well he is someone that can go toe to toe with Supes
    actually in non tv/movie land media beats him, this was prior to the whole DC universe shake up a few years back mind.

• Advertisement

A Neurotic wrote: »
    They seem to be trying to make Captain Marvel/Shazam a more prominent member of JL as well. (Basing this off games and animated movies, don't read the current comics)

Well you should read Kingdom Come, its class, and has a great take on Captain Marvel, well all DC characters to be exact.

He is definitely being made more prominent in the animated films, as is Cyborg, who I always see as a Teen Titan member first, not JL.

Not happy about casting well Zack Snyder say to wait and see.

Source

Smacks of "We are writing what characters we want and putting recognisable names to them; it's not really Luthor but we will call him that anyway, so screw you"

You just have to read Snyder's reasoning behind some of the creative decisions he makes to know that beyond any actors that are involved he is the biggest obstacle this film has to being any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Ring4Fea

Snyder directing "classic" or cerebral comics material is like hiring Sarah Palin to be a campaign manager for Ellen DeGeneres should Ellen run for Governor of California.

Didn't know which thread to put in so I am putting it in both.

Captain America shoots down Superman & Batman :)
    Just a bit of fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,995 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holly Hunter, Callan Mulvey and Tao Okamoto have joined the cast

There's talk of Callan Mulvey as the villain, but he's in the new Captain America, would that be allowed?

^ From 4 months ago.

Rumour was true then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I was wondering where the hell I knew Callan Mulvey from, been bothering me for a few days

Bloody Drazic!!

• Advertisement

maximoose wrote: »
    I was wondering where the hell I knew Callan Mulvey from, been bothering me for a few days

Bloody Drazic!!

Yep, crazy. He's been in quite a few things lately, Zero Dark 30, Captain America 2.

Advertisement