Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

given how fast Supes can move, i never really bought into the suit being effective. Look what the Flash was shown to do to Brainiac/Luthor suit in Justice Leage animated.

It's not like Stark, with the hulk buster, which combats brute strength. Supes is just too powerful with every power in the book thrown into him

What if he was weakened by a recent extreme event like in the Dark Knight Returns where Batman and Superman actually have a fight? This version also appears to be less powerful/fast than ones depicted in other movies and comics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

given how fast Supes can move, i never really bought into the suit being effective. Look what the Flash was shown to do to Brainiac/Luthor suit in Justice Leage animated.

It's not like Stark, with the hulk buster, which combats brute strength. Supes is just too powerful with every power in the book thrown into him

That's the whole point about why Batman is able to defeat Superman. Batman is one of the smartest men alive, and he knows how to find and manipulate your weak spots. It's not just the power suit he's wearing, he used kryptonite against him in the fight too.

Superman relies on his powers. If Batman can neutralise most of them, he can take him in a fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm confused as to who the bad guy in this movie will be. I never read any of the comics and struggle with the idea that any human could defeat Superman. Ok the idea that Batman has kryptonite and a power suit might help but why would they be fighting each other anyway?

And how could Batman actually defeat Superman? He hardly beat Bane (I know, different world) - he'd have to kill him because if he doesn't and is using kryptonite in the battle, as soon as Superman moves away from him he'll get his strength back. Kill him and what happens to the character?

I dunno, I realise it's early days yet but for someone who hasn't read the comics this all sounds like a really terrible idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

SuprSi wrote: »
    why would they be fighting each other anyway?

In TDK comics, it's because Batman is a criminal, and someone in authority tells the big blue boy scout to bring him in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'm confused as to who the bad guy in this movie will be. I never read any of the comics and struggle with the idea that any human could defeat Superman. Ok the idea that Batman has kryptonite and a power suit might help but why would they be fighting each other anyway?

And how could Batman actually defeat Superman? He hardly beat Bane (I know, different world) - he'd have to kill him because if he doesn't and is using kryptonite in the battle, as soon as Superman moves away from him he'll get his strength back. Kill him and what happens to the character?

I dunno, I realise it's early days yet but for someone who hasn't read the comics this all sounds like a really terrible idea.

Go watch the animated movies The Dark Knight Returns parts 1 & 2 (or read the graphic novel). they seem to be lifting a lot from that story. Batman is an old man and has kind of gone a bit crazy and they've known each other for a long time. The fight makes a lot of sense in that story as Batman knows all of Superman's weaknesses etc, remains to be seen how it pans out in the film.

I reckon Lex Luthor will be the main villain in this film anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

In TDK comics, it's because Batman is a criminal, and someone in authority tells the big blue boy scout to bring him in.

Interesting. I must go check out the animated movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Batman is the only man who Superman fears, because of his intellect. If they manage to work this piece of dialogue into the movie (I bet they will since it seems so heavily influenced by The Dark Knight Returns) then fans will go nuts:

"I want you to remember, Clark in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you..."

The animated version is basically a near shot for shot remake of the comic so it's well worth a watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

All I know is I will be up for Batman :P
    Feck Superman :pac: Bats is only a man. The underdog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

krudler wrote: »
    Batman is the only man who Superman fears, because of his intellect. If they manage to work this piece of dialogue into the movie (I bet they will since it seems so heavily influenced by The Dark Knight Returns) then fans will go nuts:

"I want you to remember, Clark in all the years to come…in your most private moments…I want you to remember…my hand at your throat. I want you to remember the one man who beat you..."

Pretty sure it will be in the movie as its the lines they used to announce they were making it in the first place

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ueP5-U5eQ

skip to 3.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I was under the apprehension that the reason they would be fighting is because Batman seen the destruction a man like Superman can cause with all the stuff in Metropolis so therefore views him as a threat to earth and wants to neutralise him, I would imagine all two billionaires Wayne and Luthor may be allies at the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

krudler wrote: »

The animated version is basically a near shot for shot remake of the comic so it's well worth a watch.

There's me watching the animated movies again this evening! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Batman is an old man and has kind of gone a bit crazy and they've known each other for a long time. The fight makes a lot of sense in that story as Batman knows all of Superman's weaknesses etc, remains to be seen how it pans out in the film.

This is exactly why I think it's a mistake for the writers to base the film story so heavily on Dark Knight Returns. That comic takes place at the end of Batman's career. Their fight carries meaning because of their shared history. But in this film it's like DC/Warners just want to 'skip to the end' and have them fight without properly establishing their relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Greyjoy wrote: »
    This is exactly why I think it's a mistake for the writers to base the film story so heavily on Dark Knight Returns. That comic takes place at the end of Batman's career. Their fight carries meaning because of their shared history. But in this film it's like DC/Warners just want to 'skip to the end' and have them fight without properly establishing their relationship.

If its to be their first confrontation, then they really should be basing it off something like the Batman/Superman Animated series cross over episodes Worlds Finest.

It was a battle of wits mainly between Batman and Superman in that if I remember correctly, it was excellent.

They are jumping into this with the possible power suit Batman vs Superman, and more than likely half of Gotham or what's left of Metropolis will be destroyed in the fight too. :pac:

Nolan's Batman films aside, its amazing how right the DC animated series and animated movies get it, and how wrong the live action films can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

New release date from 6th May 2016 to 25 March 2016 to avoid going up against Captain America 3.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-moves-to-march-2016-1201277114/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

DC blinked first after the GotG box office numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Marje wrote: »
    New release date from 6th May 2016 to 25 March 2016 to avoid going up against Captain America 3.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-moves-to-march-2016-1201277114/

This screams to the fact that DC do not have a lot of confidence in their movie...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

This screams to the fact that DC do not have a lot of confidence in their movie...

Moving it back would have suggested not having confidence, pushing it forward to a month not typically connected to box office smashes suggests the opposite really.

It was silly to go up against CA3 anyway, BvS probably would have come out on top at the BO but having both released on the same day would have hurt the maximum potential of both.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't think it suggests anything to be honest, beyond the fact that one of the two movies had to move. While I have no faith in the movie myself based on Man of Steel, I'm not going to start reading into the smallest things that may not necessarily be there.

If DC were burying this in January, then I might go 'jaysus', otherwise, the date-shift means nothing imo.

Marje wrote: »

Very surprised if they are worried about Captain America 3.

I saw 2 over the weekend, and it wasn't great. Dunno why it seems to get such high praise here.

As Soft Falling Rain said, these 2 movies in the same weekend, both would suffer financially over all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mr Freeze wrote: »

I saw 2 over the weekend, and it wasn't great. Dunno why it seems to get such high praise here.

As Soft Falling Rain said, these 2 movies in the same weekend, both would suffer financially over all.

Also watched the Winter Soldier over the weekend. Great action scenes but the story and dialog are fairly idiotic. It's really nothing special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

beside Guardians of the Galaxy, winter solider was IMO the best marvel film thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

uolNyza.png

In fairness, DC announced BvS after Marvel had already bookmarked that date for one of their films (even though it wasn't announced it'd be CA3 at the time if I remember correctly). I agree that BvS probably would have beaten CA3, even though a lot of fans of the genre probably would have tried to see both on opening weekend, but it was foolish of DC to try and bump Marvel from their spot and I'm glad Marvel didn't give in.

Very surprised if they are worried about Captain America 3. I saw 2 over the weekend, and it wasn't great.

There aren't worried about your opinion, they are worried about a proven box-office draw:

Man of Steel: $116m 1st weekend, with a 64% drop to the second.
    Winter Soldier: $95m 1st weekend, with a 56% drop.

Add in the boost the Captain may get from Avengers 2, and it's a real threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Maybe it's not the quality of Captain America they're worried about? Irrespective of how good/poor Winter Soldier was, Man of Steel itself was largely terrible. Would be better if it had no real competition on opening weekend.

There aren't worried about your opinion, they are worried about a proven box-office draw:

I know, didn't I go on to say that?

• Advertisement

I know, didn't I go on to say that?

Then by definition, they are worried about Cap 3.

Then by definition, they are worried about Cap 3.

Ok, I concede. My post was poorly phrased.

They'd be worried about any major blockbuster opening the same day as BvS impacting on overall sales, but 2 comic book movies opening the same day would really hurt each other.

I thought Man of Steel was poor, and I think the Marvel films are just as bad. I have not seen Guardians yet, i'll wait for bluray, but it does look good.

Cap 2, I was expecting a lot more from it based on the high praise it appeared to be getting here.

Ok, I concede. My post was poorly phrased.

OK. I do take your point that they aren't scared of Captain America in particular, they'd try to avoid a Spiderman or an X-Men movie too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

DC just stink of desperation of becoming obsolete. Marvel are so far ahead in that by the time the fatigue for superhero movies sets in, which is gonna happen on a larger scale soon, DC will be just starting up

Penn wrote: »

In fairness, DC announced BvS after Marvel had already bookmarked that date for one of their films (even though it wasn't announced it'd be CA3 at the time if I remember correctly). I agree that BvS probably would have beaten CA3, even though a lot of fans of the genre probably would have tried to see both on opening weekend, but it was foolish of DC to try and bump Marvel from their spot and I'm glad Marvel didn't give in.

It was Warner Brothers, not DC, who tried to strong arm Marvel Studios. Warner rightfully deserve a bit of grief for this slightly embarrassing incident but overall, it's not a big deal. Better they change it now than a couple of months before release, which would have been far more worrying.

• Advertisement

Holy Smokes Batman.

According to the article, Warner Brothers has opted to move the Man of Steel follow-up to March 25th, 2016. The shift makes sense as the Captain America sequel proved there’s blockbuster money to be made for spring released superhero films, and Warner Brothers doesn’t want to risk losing any ticket sales to Marvel while they’re trying to build a foundation for the DCCU.

But the release date insanity doesn’t stop there as the following list of untitled DC and WB films was released as well:

Untitled DC Film - 08/05/16

Untitled DC Film - 06/23/17

Untitled DC Film - 11/17/17

Untitled DC Film - 03/23/18

Untitled DC Film - 07/27/18

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/16/18

Untitled DC Film - 04/05/19

Untitled DC Film - 06/14/19

Untitled DC Film - 04/03/20

Untitled DC Film - 06/19/20

Untitled WB Event Film - 11/20/20

http://www.nerdist.com/2014/08/batman-v-superman-moving-to-march-2016-more-dc-release-dates-revealed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

There is speculation that those two Untitled WB Event Films are sequels to the Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movie from the Harry Potter universe.

The move makes perfect sense and had DC not done so then it would only have been a matter of time before Marvel moved Captain America 3. Both films appeal to the same audience so there's no point splitting your audience opening weekend, the box office of both films should be far healthier due to this move and that DC are moving it up and not back shows that they have confidence in the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A few rumours surfacing that Jena Malone has been cast as Harley Quinn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    A few rumours surfacing that Jena Malone has been cast as Harley Quinn

She has a great look for her definitely, but she's always annoyed me watching her. Can't quite put my finger on it though.

.....and then there's Sucker Punch :pac:

Sucker Punch is a weird one, intruiging characters within a farcical storyline. It just suffered from not knowing what it wanted to be. MOS, funnily enough, suffered from a similar issue. I don't think it's as much as a turkey as some have suggested, but it was definitely a case of what can happen if Snyder is left to his own devices. With Terrio rewriting the script and Affleck's presence I'm sure we'll get a more focused Snyder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sucker Punch is a weird one, intruiging characters within a farcical storyline. It just suffered from not knowing what it wanted to be. MOS, funnily enough, suffered from a similar issue. I don't think it's as much as a turkey as some have suggested, but it was definitely a case of what can happen if Snyder is left to his own devices. With Terrio rewriting the script and Affleck's presence I'm sure we'll get a more focused Snyder.

The characters weren't all that intriguing to be honest. Supposed bad-ass girls with paper thin development. It wasn't even fun to watch, that's how bad a film like that was, considering it's visuals. Focus isn't really Snyder's problem, his balancing of movies can be outrageously bad at times and his storytelling is quite bland. Affleck is the one thing I think could save the film, I'm hoping he's a big success as Batman.

Looks like the Flash may have been cast now.

http://collider.com/scoot-mcnairy-the-flash-batman-v-superman/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I don't think he's the Flash. Having CGI ankles for the Flash makes little sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A better look at the Batmobile surfaced via Zack Synder's Twitter account; I'll be honest, while it's trendy to dump on this production, I really don't like that design. Too busy, too aggressive, and guns? Surely the whole point of Batman is that he doesn't use ballistics?

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/509889431210192896

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    ASurely the whole point of Batman is that he doesn't use ballistics?

Eh, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

A better look at the Batmobile surfaced via Zack Synder's Twitter account; I'll be honest, while it's trendy to dump on this production, I really don't like that design. Too busy, too aggressive, and guns? Surely the whole point of Batman is that he doesn't use ballistics?

He used guns on the original batmobile(tumbler) to shoot down a railway track in BB, so there is uses for it I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I think it looks good - sufficiently different from the Tumbler within the Nolan universe while at the same thing looks realistic and that it could fit into the world which Man of Steel was set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I like it. Looks like the car from Arkham Knight, which has guns and missiles.

More photos here http://instagram.com/p/swGvKHviWr?utm_source=partner&utm_medium=embed&utm_campaign=photo

He used guns on the original batmobile(tumbler) to shoot down a railway track in BB, so there is uses for it I guess!

True enough, I guess culturally my baseline for Batman has always been the Warner Bros. cartoon, where he completely disdained guns of any kind (of course that was due to the broadcast format as much as any story reasoning)

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

I think it looks cool, and didn't the Burton Original Batmobile have guns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

True enough, I guess culturally my baseline for Batman has always been the Warner Bros. cartoon, where he completely disdained guns of any kind (of course that was due to the broadcast format as much as any story reasoning)

Yeah, it's more that he won' use guns to kill. Even Burton's batmobile had serious gun action going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Eh, no.

I thought Batman doesn't use guns too. Obviously during different eras of comics different writers will deviate from that, but I was always under the impression that it was generally an 'unwritten' rule. I say that having read Batman comics for longer than I care to remember.

batman-doesnt-use-guns.jpg

http://listverse.com/2011/08/22/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-batman/
    It took a little time for Bob Kane to refine the Batman character. Nowadays, Batman not only refuses to use guns, but hates them completely. This is logical, considering a gun killed his parents, and ever since he has stalwartly refused to use firearms in his crime fighting. However, in early issues Batman was something of a costumed Sherlock Homes, doing more detective work than fighting, but still carrying a six-gun at his side on his night patrols. Bob Kane soon changed this, saying that Batman wearing a gun didn’t “Feel Right”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

That looks pretty awesome to be fair. Fits perfectly in the skewed reality of the Man of Steel world. It looks like something that walks the line between real world and comic (as opposed to the Nolan series which grounded its designs in real world military roots).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

CPSW wrote: »
    I think it looks cool, and didn't the Burton Original Batmobile have guns?

And bombs, sure he blows up Axis Chemicals killing a rake of the Joker's goons. He has no problem blowing the crap out of loads of stuff in the Nolan movies either.

Advertisement