Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,125 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

image-7-143693.jpg

Looks like
    Joker killed Jason Todd

But isn't that sort of ... intentional? I mean, isn't Superman portrayed as a Jesus-like/Supreme being in across multiple platforms? I mean, I can get you being annoyed if it was just for the sake of, but this seems like it has a point, with Batman showing that this isn't the case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I do like that it's an older Bruce Wayne. Like Jeremy Irons. Not too pushed about the destruction, still not keen on the aesthetic. Lots of spinning plates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

And I thought the Jesus imagery in Man of Steel lacked subtlety...

Looks like Snyder has quadrupled down on everything I hated about the first film, as expected. Even that trailer was more self-important, weightless, CG-saturated nonsense than I'm comfortable with :o Hope people enjoy the finished project and fair play to Snyder for making what seems like the ultimate realisation of his directorial style, but as meaningless as it is I am well and truly out.

See you ITT when it releases so!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

But isn't that sort of ... intentional?

Absolutely. Something can be totally intentional and still lack subtlety :)

But does that make it a bad thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

yes, when you feel like you are being bludgeoned with it, as it was in the first movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I did not like Eisenberg's portrayal of Luthor in that trailer. At all, in fact it almost made me sick. Lex Luthor is among the greatest intellects in the DC universe. He is ruthless. I know that films can add their own flair to things but honestly I thought it was a complete joke. If that was a sample of the Luthor we'll be seeing in the movie, then I think it'll be worse than Spacey's Luthor in Superman: Returns (which I absolutely loathed). But I remain hopeful.

Otherwise I was mighty impressed by the rest of the trailer. Nice teaser look of Gadot as Diana/WW. I had my concerns of Affleck playing Bruce/Batman when I first heard of it last year or so, but it certainly looks like he's giving it his all. Honestly looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Depends totally on the viewer. I feel Snyder's style is obnoxious, totally lacking in stylistic / narrative nuance and at times borderline condescending. I felt I was being bludgeoned with God-like imagery in the first one to the point of absurdity, and well fair to say that trailer has taken it further. IMO a bad thing, but I speak for myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I am much more interested in the proposed Affleck stand alone Batman movies than Batman v Superman, partly because Zack Snyder seems to be continuing his barrage of CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Still can't get my mind around Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne or Batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Speaking of a lack of subtlety, it looks like Leto's Joker is going to be full on.

Still can't get my mind around Ben Affleck as Bruce Wayne or Batman.

I wonder whether his will be better than Bale's Wayne. TBH, I didn't actually think he was that great. But regardless, I hope he doesn't do anything near as annoying as that Batman voice. When you go back and watch that trilogy, it just sounds ludicrously bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so thats the end of the first film in the trailer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

WW is supposed to be a strong Amzonian warrior, the actress they picked doesnt have the body type for it. WW needs to have muscle definition, strong toned arms and legs, not perfect hair and lipstick. The actress looks like she going to be pouting and flicking her hair throughout her part.

tumblr_nrc8fzIq3u1uv7dcuo1_540.gif

tumblr_nrc8oosiIo1qklq7jo1_500.gif

Looks grand to me.

Lex on the other hand, not a fan of his look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Speaking of a lack of subtlety, it looks like Leto's Joker is going to be full on.

Have a hear of this now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Search_Dextroy/status/619963709209886720/video/1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I wonder whether his will be better than Bale's Wayne. TBH, I didn't actually think he was that great. But regardless, I hope he doesn't do anything near as annoying as that Batman voice. When you go back and watch that trilogy, it just sounds ludicrously bad.

No, not at all. I think Bale was the best Bruce Wayne and also the best Batman.

I think Michael Keaton's Wayne comes closest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

J. Marston wrote: »

Lex on the other hand, not a fan of his look.
    Convinced there was a show of him having shaved his head - I reckon the trailer has him in a wig, or it will be shaved off during the movie.

No, not at all. I think Bale was the best Bruce Wayne and also the best Batman.

I think Michael Keaton's Wayne comes closest.

Interesting. I always felt that Keaton's was the best Wayne. With Kilmer's being the best Batman :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Can't wait for this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Synder's gone full on Synder with that trailer's imagery. Whatever restraint he showed in MoS seems to be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I'll probably still go and watch it but nothing so far has made me have any sort of high hopes for it. None of the trailers make me actually care about any of the characters in the slightest. It's just basically Snyder putting all his favourite types of explosions and destruction in a trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

J. Marston wrote: »
    [Snip WW Clip]

Looks grand to me.

Woah there, let's not sell that scene short... :)

xTwrYNj.gif

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Interesting. I always felt that Keaton's was the best Wayne. With Kilmer's being the best Batman :pac:

Is there anything to be said for Adam West's return?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Looks good to me, hopefully better than Ultron. Don't understand all the hate for Affleck, I think he'll be a superb batman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Say what you want about Snyder but his work is on another level visually to what Marvel's directors are churning out.

Here's hoping this is more Watchmen than Sucker Punch though. As patchy as that film was at times it has moments that are as powerful as the superhero genre has ever gotten.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Eisenberg's do reminds of me of Luther's hair in The Death and Return of Superman graphic novel, presume that's the look they're going for.He'll probably lose it at some stage too I'm sure, this is essentially his origin movie after all in this iteration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

no Aquaman in that trailer either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Ok, that trailer was good. I particularly enjoyed the Bruce Wayne POV of the destruction in MOS. Despite, the OTT-ness of the Superman-Zod mass destruction fight, it is a good launch pad for the sequel. Batman looks great and this genuinely has me revved up to see him take on Superman. It's clear now anyway that
    kryptonite plays a part in it

The only thing that isn't sitting right with me is WW's involvement. All the Batman vs Superman stuff looks awesome but she's out of place. She looks fairly badass but it could be a case of cramming too much into one movie.

Expectations++;

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,405 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skerries wrote: »
    no Aquaman in that trailer either

I reckon the likes of Aquaman and Flash will amount to little more than cameos or we'd have seen something of them by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

e_e wrote: »
    Say what you want about Snyder but his work is on another level visually to what Marvel's directors are churning out.

Here's hoping this is more Watchmen than Sucker Punch though. As patchy as that film was at times it has moments that are as powerful as the superhero genre has ever gotten.

Snyder problem was never Visually but the writing, hopefully whoever is writing this script has churned out something to Rival The Dark Knight (still the best Comic book film for me). He did his best with Watchmen (although one or two cases of bad casting did harm the film) but its a impossible job to put that classic into a 3 hour film. As Terry Gillam said it would have been better if it was a TV series.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Ok, that trailer was good. I particularly enjoyed the Bruce Wayne POV of the destruction in MOS. Despite, the OTT-ness of the Superman-Zod mass destruction fight, it is a good launch pad for the sequel. Batman looks great and this genuinely has me revved up to see him take on Superman. It's clear now anyway that
    kryptonite plays a part in it

The only thing that isn't sitting right with me is WW's involvement. All the Batman vs Superman stuff looks awesome but she's out of place. She looks fairly badass but it could be a case of cramming too much into one movie.

Expectations++;

I worry that DC are going down the Marvel route and are trying to fit far too much in. It was one of the biggest problems with Avengers 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Eisenberg's do reminds of me of Luther's hair in The Death and Return of Superman graphic novel, presume that's the look they're going for.He'll probably lose it at some stage too I'm sure, this is essentially his origin movie after all in this iteration.

Well I assume during this movie as he shaved his head for this film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Whoa, Snyder unleashed. I’ve no doubt Affleck’s Argo screenwriter managed make something interesting out of Goyer’s presumedly half-arsed first draft. But Snyder’s going to piss all over it with his Joel Schumacher-esque obsession with bulging muscle suits and slow motion sequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

The trailer didn't get me as hyped as the original MOS trailers but having said that, this looks pretty good and could be a much better film.

e_e wrote: »

Snyder is unquestionably an auteur in an arena dominated by visual carelessness and interchangability. His style is instantly recognisable and fiercely individual, unmistakable when seen in action.

I may find his style aggressively shallow, self-aggrandising, repetitive, distractingingly over-stylised, constantly crossing the line into absurd self parody and ultimately ill-suited to anything longer than a music video - but, credit where credit is due, there's not many Hollywood directors I could say that about.

Snyder is unquestionably an auteur in an arena dominated by visual carelessness and interchangability. His style is instantly recognisable and fiercely individual, unmistakable when seen in action.

I may find his style aggressively shallow, self-aggrandising, repetitive, distractingingly over-stylised, constantly crossing the line into absurd self parody and ultimately ill-suited to anything longer than a music video - but, credit where credit is due, there's not many Hollywood directors I could say that about.

Cheers for the review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Whoa, Snyder unleashed. I’ve no doubt Affleck’s Argo screenwriter managed make something interesting out of Goyer’s presumedly half-arsed first draft. But Snyder’s going to piss all over it with his Joel Schumacher-esque obsession with bulging muscle suits and slow motion sequences.

Ah now come on, you might not like Snyder but he's nowhere near that bad.

There's some serious hate in here for Snyder and I guess once you don't like his style it's a hard thing to get past.

Each to their own but that trailer is exactly what I wanted to see. Visually stunning and I like where the story seems to be going from what we've seen with superman being held accountable for the destruction of the city and that Bruce was there to witness it first hand which leads to his problems with superman.

Only part that still hasn't won me over is lex. I just don't see why they would go this route for the character. Feels like bad casting already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I'd say Lex is going to have a massive part in this and he will shine eventually

I like Snyder's style and enjoyed all his films before Suckerpunch, visually he's perfect for the likes of Superman, it's the awful story telling that put me off Man of Steel though, it just wasn't a good movie for me. It's possible that was more down to Goyer than Snyder though, I don't think he's a good screenwriter, maybe Terrio will be the difference this time.

I still hold out hope that this will be enjoyable though, trailer has me thinking it could go either way, didn't grab me like the MoS trailer did but that doesn't mean it will be pooh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I still think this is silly but might go see it. Any chance they might make a Supergirl v Catwomen film next :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

This trailer re-affirms what many fear. There is too much being squashed in. Not having high hopes.

There's a lot of Wayne in the trailer. Wonder if they want to appease fans who are worried about Affleck. He looked fine for the part IMO.

Either way, with the amount of slow motion Snyder uses, if the whole movie was played at normal speed it will probably be only 26 minutes long anyway.

I'm pretty sure Goyer didn't write the script, only a story outline. Terrio was brought in pretty sharpish after Affleck was announced so there should be little sign of Goyer in the finished product.

Woah woah woah woah woah woah. Let's not throw around things we'll regret in future :pac:

Nah, regardless of how much you dislike Snyder's work, the likes of Suckpunch doesn't come near the absolute lows of Schumacker's Batman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Woah woah woah woah woah woah. Let's not throw around things we'll regret in future :pac:

Nah, regardless of how much you dislike Snyder's work, the likes of Suckpunch doesn't come near the absolute lows of Schumacker's Batman.

They don't even deserve to be classed as movies..... I had nightmares over how atrocious they were.....

I still find Batman and Robin to be the more watchable of the two. There's just something so hateable about watching Tommy Lee Jones ham it up to the max. Also I find Kilmer to be arguably the worst portrayal of the character, and that's saying something when Clooney was basically being Clooney.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fair play for actually tying-in the horrible death and destruction that happened to Metropolis, and putting it at the feet of Superman; at least the script won't be ducking it and pretending everyone's now all 'hooray! Superman!'

That said, the trailer was still as pompous and achingly-worthy as I suspected it would be; I've bottomed out my expectations so I guess I can only be pleasantly surprised; in hindsight, to me Man of Steel was one of the worst Superhero films in the last decade or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I really don't know what to make of the trailer.

It doesn't look like Superman is holding back against Batman anyways, he definitely looks ready to kill him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I really don't know what to make of the trailer.

It doesn't look like Superman is holding back against Batman anyways, he definitely looks ready to kill him.

He's got a taste for it now after Zod.

• Advertisement
Advertisement