Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Yeah, after the release of that toy image, it does look like Bruce Wayne is having some sort of nightmare/vision of the world with this demi-god ruling over it. Total cop out IMO, all that imagery of Batman fighting in a desert and Superman with an army of followers (and the subsequent theorizing by fans) reduced to a dream sequence. Maybe it works well in the movie, but it seems lame to me. Maybe Batman is on a dreamquest or something, looking inward to find a way to defeat Superman?

Or maybe this is an Inception crossover and Batman is incepting Superman. Those army guys are just Superman's subconscious defense mechanisms trying to purge Batman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If they change it they change it though, they had superman kill in MoS so anything is possible

Christopher Reeve dealt with Zod in a better way: he tricked him, robbed him of his powers, and then when he was no threat, crushed his hand for fun and then killed him, smiling throughout.

Those were the days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Christopher Reeve dealt with Zod in a better way: he tricked him, robbed him of his powers, and then when he was no threat, crushed his hand for fun and then killed him, smiling throughout.

Those were the days!

So true.

Using killing Zod as a stick to beat MOS with makes no sense. If you didn't like the movie, that's fine, but the revisionism shown by some is quite amusing.

Perhaps Cavill should have smiled whilst snapping Zods neck and the music could have been and up tempo, high spirits march....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Bacchus wrote: »
    Yeah, after the release of that toy image, it does look like Bruce Wayne is having some sort of nightmare/vision of the world with this demi-god ruling over it. Total cop out IMO, all that imagery of Batman fighting in a desert and Superman with an army of followers (and the subsequent theorizing by fans) reduced to a dream sequence. Maybe it works well in the movie, but it seems lame to me. Maybe Batman is on a dreamquest or something, looking inward to find a way to defeat Superman?

Or maybe this is an Inception crossover and Batman is incepting Superman. Those army guys are just Superman's subconscious defense mechanisms trying to purge Batman.

or maybe it actually happens, supes ends up having to kill bats but in doing so comes to accept what a nightmare world a politically active superman makes- and he flies around the world very VERY fast ala the first donner film , and convinces his younger self to not go that down path before being erased back to the future style....

...at this stage lads anythings possible.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Those were the days!

Actually, there's a deleted scene in Superman 2 where the artic police arrive afterwards and take away lex Luthor, Zod and his two mates away in handcuffs.

• Advertisement

Wedwood wrote: »
    Actually, there's a deleted scene in Superman 2 where the artic police arrive afterwards and take away lex Luthor, Zod and his two mates away in handcuffs.

Yes, but that was only used in a very limited tv showings in the US. In the theatrical cut and the Donner cut, Superman dispatches with Zod in the same way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Anticipation has been dragged down a few levels

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Be warned there are some major spoilers in that trailer. In fact I'd go as far as to say it basically reveals the entire plot of the movie.

Well that was weird, reminded me of one of those Comic-Con trailers were they just throw together scraps of the movie. It's actually put me off it a bit, the last 2 trailers were great and kept spoilers to a minimum, surprised they made such a balls out of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

That trailer really does not look good to me. Lex in particular seems awful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Lights On

Switched off the trailer before it finished, pretty much spoils the whole movie! Do people really need to be drip fed the entire plot before they see it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I actually enjoyed that. Cavill seems much better in those clips, and him and Affleck seem to have a good thing going on.

Lex is campy but not to a level to put me off. As for the big reveal,
    if that's Doomsday, not exactly an inspiring design. Not scary at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Agree with those have said there's far too many spoilers in that trailer.

Gave away too many big reveals.

Luther makes my skin crawl, which is probably the intention, but I don't like the portrayal.

Really on the fence about this. Might be terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That new trailer, just watched it on my FB feed, gives the whole film away, its like a summary of the film. Also this film went from looking OK to looking kinda bad.....

I think the Clark v Bruce, Superman v Batman stuff looks OK, but it looks like the film is gonna crumble in the 3rd act into generic superhero city destruction seen it 100 times before type stuff.
    Don't think I can spoiler on the phone, so won't say the characters name, but nice to see The Abomination from Hulk making an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

McDermotX wrote: »
    Anticipation has been dragged down a few levels

Oh God. They just took a giant steaming turd on the film.
    The whole Frankenstein/The Mountain revival thing looks ridiculous.

Watch this trailer at your peril. At least now I'll have zero expectations going into this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"This film will address the huge destruction of the city in MoS"
    "Batman will be angry at Superman for the destruction of the city in MoS"
    New trailer shows more huge destruction of the city

I hope this film ends with Superman looking at the destruction of the city after fighting Doomsday, he looks at Batman, and Batman pulls an awkward face while the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays

As others have said, that trailer is big on spoilers. It's basically a plot synopsis. The most damning thing about it is that I don't really care that it's been spoiled. It doesn't look like there's much depth to this movie at all for there to be anything worthwhile spoiling. It really just looks like a paint by numbers Batman vs Superman movie for the first 2 acts (albeit, the "Knightmare" stuff could take it in an interesting direction... depending how it's actually handled). The final act with
    WW joining the 'team' to fight Doomsday
    feels like a really tacked on plot device to "get the band together". Also, I reckon it will just be another rehash of
    the final fight with Superman and Zod - heavy on destruction but lacking any weight or drama

I'll still go see this though, it's Superman vs Batman afterall and I'm sure there will be plenty of spectacle to enjoy on the big screen.

Penn wrote: »
    "This film will address the huge destruction of the city in MoS"
    "Batman will be angry at Superman for the destruction of the city in MoS"
    New trailer shows more huge destruction of the city

I hope this film ends with Superman looking at the destruction of the city after fighting Doomsday, he looks at Batman, and Batman pulls an awkward face while the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme plays

I think I read somewhere that the battle takes place in either a derelict zone of Gotham or Metropolis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I'm so annoyed at myself for watching that trailer. It basically shows you a condensed version of the whole ****ing film :mad:

Bacchus wrote: »
    As others have said, that trailer is big on spoilers. It's basically a plot synopsis. The most damning thing about it is that I don't really care that it's been spoiled. It doesn't look like there's much depth to this movie at all for there to be anything worthwhile spoiling. It really just looks like a paint by numbers Batman vs Superman movie for the first 2 acts (albeit, the "Knightmare" stuff could take it in an interesting direction... depending how it's actually handled). The final act with
    WW joining the 'team' to fight Doomsday
    feels like a really tacked on plot device to "get the band together". Also, I reckon it will just be another rehash of
    the final fight with Superman and Zod - heavy on destruction but lacking any weight or drama

I'll still go see this though, it's Superman vs Batman afterall and I'm sure there will be plenty of spectacle to enjoy on the big screen.

You have to look at it this way; why wouldn't she assist them? We know she's present, so why wouldn't she join a fight against a monster capable of serious atrocities?

I just don't think it's a fair criticism, given people are always quick to point out why the Avengers don't band together to fight a global threat in their standalone films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

A 3 minute trailer and people think they know the whole bloody script for the movie. Gimme a break.

As for the trailer itself, I thought it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I thought that last scene with them posing was really corny looking.

I'm surprised they blew their load by
    showing Doomsday who reminded me a lot of Abomination

J. Marston wrote: »
    A 3 minute trailer and people think they know the whole bloody script for the movie. Gimme a break.

+1

Also, people are already complaining about "destruction". Maybe some people misunderstood the premise of Batman v Superman and were expecting a court room drama with no action. They also think a maniac killer/monster will care about where a fight happens and worry about property damage and lives lost.

It's the same complaint about MOS, where people blame Superman for the destruction, despite the fact that 90% of the destruction was done when Superman wasn't even in the city. Zod then attacks him and he is supposed to just say "Stop it now! Mister bad guy who wants to destroy humanity, would you mind terribly following me out to a more secluded area of this planet to conclude our fight. That way no one else will get hurt.... wait, what??"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

You'd want to be fair stupid to think that
    Doomsday
    wasn't going to be in it, you knew that from the first trailer.

Dont like the look of him at the moment
    but I guarantee he'll evolve some more and grow the spikes
    . That last scene in the trailer wont be the final fight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Compare trailers for this with those for Star Wars, Episode 7 - a film that's actually around the corner. Now, if you took both sets of trailers and made an educated stab at the general plot and what is going on, which film would you think you'd be more successful with? Yet has Star Wars suffered in keeping its cards close to its chest?

This trailer, while clearly not in a position to hit every point of a 2 hour film, made pains to thread a distinct setup-escalation-climax line via what appear to be pretty major scenes in the final film. I didn't realise
    Zod
    was in this, nor had any clue what finale was going to involve. Now I do, and that sucks a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

It looks like every major story beat is there. I can't imagine there's anything of substance left out. The whole thing is just so generic. Two characters who overcome their initial hostility to overcome a common foe. Dull.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Compare trailers for this with those for Star Wars, Episode 7 - a film that's actually around the corner. Now, if you took both sets of trailers and made an educated stab at the general plot and what is going on, which film would you think you'd be more successful with? Yet has Star Wars suffered in keeping its cards close to its chest?

This trailer, while clearly not in a position to hit every point of a 2 hour film, made pains to thread a distinct setup-escalation-climax line via what appear to be pretty major scenes in the final film. I didn't realise
    Zod
    was in this, nor had any clue what finale was going to involve. Now I do, and that sucks a little.

Zod was shown in a previous trailer.

It looks like every major story beat is there. I can't imagine there's anything of substance left out. The whole thing is just so generic. Two characters who overcome their initial hostility to overcome a common foe. Dull.

What else were you expecting? Superman to break Bat's neck and say "fcuk ya you lowly mortal" and the film ends?

This was always how the film was going to play out so I'm not sure that it's stick that can be used to beat it with. If the execution is good enough that's all that matters.

The trailer strikes me as not much care had gone into it, and is purely a "money" trailer to get the GA in the door. Whoever worked on the previous trailer didn't work on this one.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    [...] was shown in a previous trailer.

Clearly not as blatantly as this one and that doesn’t change the fact that Pixelburp, like myself, wasn't aware of that character being present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

What else were you expecting? Superman to break Bat's neck and say "fcuk ya you lowly mortal" and the film ends?

Doesn't take much imagination to come up with something different for the overall arc. This is just the safest laziest way they could go. I'm not a fan of Miller, but at least his work avoids this level of banality. The most interesting thing looks like a dream sequence FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Can't believe you all missed the Paradaemons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Well.. That trailer saves me a tenner.

You have to look at it this way; why wouldn't she assist them? We know she's present, so why wouldn't she join a fight against a monster capable of serious atrocities?

I just don't think it's a fair criticism, given people are always quick to point out why the Avengers don't band together to fight a global threat in their standalone films.

Where was she so in MoS while Zod and Superman were taking chunks out of Metropolis while the terraforming machine was wrecking another part of the world. It could easily be explained though that the events of MoS brought her out into the world.

BTW, I've no problem with her joining to help but it really feels (from the trailer) that... most of the movie will be the two of them facing off (which is the interesting bit) and then
    oh here's Doomsday for the last 20 minutes
    that will make all the conflict of the preceding 2 hours redundant. That WW joins the fight is not a problem for me, I'm just concerned at how tacked on it feels.

This is only a trailer though so it could play out well but I only have the trailer to comment on.

What's so crazy about that? Pretty much every plot beat is mapped out in that single trailer. Granted, none of it is rocket science but it is now very clear that Batman and Superman resolve their differences because
    a bigger threat (Doomsday) arrives
    and we now know that
    WW's first appearance on screen is when she stops Doomsday from killing Batman
    . Those are two fairly significant plot points completely spoiled by the trailer.

I'm still hoping they have kept a few tricks up their sleeves but this reminds me of Terminator Genisys where the movie was laid out in the trailer and the movie basically turned out to be a beat for beat extension of the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

While the trailer is spoilerific to the general public ( that was my first thought watching it) I thought it looked good/fun.

Anyone who read the synopsis would have known that a "Big Bad" would appear in the final third of the film.
    Zod
    was shown in the previous trailer.
    Id say Doomsday will evolve and looks to have boney protrusions in the trailer

I think people are just going to moan about this film either way. People who moaned about the tone MOS will probabley turn around and moan about the "1 liners" in this film

Not sure how I feel about Lex

Zod
    was shown in the previous trailer.

Just on that, because a few have brought it up already. I thought that the shot of
    Zod
    meant we might be getting a setup for
    Doomsday
    in a Justice League movie... not in this movie. While the spoiler is a bit disappointing, what's more disappointing is that it looks like we're getting a tacked on, lazy ending to resolve the conflict between Batman and Superman that will be the core theme of the movie.

Can't believe you all missed the Paradaemons.

No, someone mentioned them a few posts after the trailer. But thats in the Knightmare bit so that might only be a dream or flash forward type thing.

• Advertisement

Tact on would be the 3 of them coming out of it unscathed like the big hitters usually do in a film of this ilk.

However, as I'm sure you're familiar with what happens in the comics, this probably won't be your typical the good guys all prevail ending.

Boo Radley wrote: »
    Clearly not as blatantly as this one and that doesn’t change the fact that Pixelburp, like myself, wasn't aware of that character being present.

It's the same shot as seen in the previous trailer i.e. a quick shot of him in a body bag. If anyone first time around missed it then that's their thing. Moaning about it in this trailer is just silly tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

have to say, I really liked the banter at the party between Bruce and Clark, and Jessie Eisenberg might actually not be terrible as Lex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's the same shot as seen in the previous trailer i.e. a quick shot of him in a body bag. If anyone first time around missed it then that's their thing. Moaning about it in this trailer is just silly tbh.

That wasn't really the main point of my 'moan' tbh, the presence or otherwise in a previous trailer doesn't invalidate what I was trying to say. The trailer's unambiguous and makes no attempt to tease or keep its broad plot & secrets hidden - again, unlike Star Wars which, to be frank, has done a masterful job of keeping the plot & story completely unknown to its audience. It's approx. 3 weeks away and we still know nothing. Batman v Superman on the other hand, we can already make a fairly rudimentary guess at what's happening here. It's hardly a once-off that trailer start trying to give potted summaries of films.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Tact on would be the 3 of them coming out of it unscathed like the big hitters usually do in a film of this ilk.

However, as I'm sure you're familiar with what happens in the comics, this probably won't be your typical the good guys all prevail ending.

I'm not familiar with the comics of which you speak but given that there's a Justice League film on the way as well as solo films for all three so I fully expect them to come out unscathed if a little tired.

Was this trailer always scheduled to come out at this time or was it purely shoved out there to counter the Civil War trailer last week?

• Advertisement

It's one thing showing
    Zod in a body bag and another to follow that up with Frankenstein-esque electrocution and the obvious link to the big bad monster.
    But if you think we're being silly so be it.

pixelburp wrote: »
    That wasn't really the main point of my 'moan' tbh, the presence or otherwise in a previous trailer doesn't invalidate what I was trying to say. The trailer's unambiguous and makes no attempt to tease or keep its broad plot & secrets hidden - again, unlike Star Wars which, to be frank, has done a masterful job of keeping the plot & story completely unknown to its audience. It's approx. 3 weeks away and we still know nothing. Batman v Superman on the other hand, we can already make a fairly rudimentary guess at what's happening here. It's hardly a once-off that trailer start trying to give potted summaries of films.

Fair play to JJ, he knows how to do a good trailer. I like the mystery too but to be frank, Stars Wars can afford the less is more strategy. It's probably coasting to being the highest grossing film of all time based on good will and it being what, a sequel 30 years in the pipeline. It is, quite simply, a marketing dream.

So should BVS, but it's not, given the lukewarm reception to MOS and how much they have invested in the future of DC properties. Thus, the release of this gun ho trailer. Which may be crude and spoilerific to many, but if it grabs the masses' attention then job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If the plot synopsis that was leaked a few months back is true (and it seems to have been on point judging by this trailer's release) then they really did seem to show the film in chronological order.

Compared to the other trailers and general marketing for the film this trailer just seemed like it was hastily slapped together and breaks the tone they were going for, probably because of the Civil War trailer?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is this a Ninja Turtles crossover as well?

Marvel Trailers seems to make most people happy, even I think the trailer for Civil War looks good and I don't even like the Marvel films.

The DC trailers seem to get the opposite reaction even among DC fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Agreed. this film, since the first drips of information to the original teaser and the trailers since have me absolutely sweating to see it.

I've absolutely no hype or "omagad" for Star Wars this month, where as I simply cannot wait for this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

While I agree that the trailer gave away too much, I liked more of it than I disliked.
    The interaction between Clark and Bruce at the party
    the glimpses of the fight screens
    and
    Bruce and Alfred arguing
    were all good IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I though the Big Bad looked quite like the Bolg character in The Hobbit movies, and looked extremely CG (which I know he has to be) but from that trailer he doesn't really seem to fit/have weight in the environment.

Agree with the general concensus, I was really thinking, this might actually be OK after the earlier teasers/trailers, but that new one has significantly lowered by expectations.

After Terminator Salvation (good trailers) and Dredd (awful trailers) I've learned not to put too much stock in trailers.

There are negatives but also positives, but a lot of people seem to be ignoring the latter in a dash to exclaim "I was right!! It's going to be ****e lolz!"

The best strategy is just to wait and see everything in context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looks awful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement