Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Batman v Superman *spoilers from post 2434*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,543 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

IFCO have rated the Ultimate Edition as 15. BBFC have it as 12 in the UK.

http://www.ifco.ie/website/IFCO/ifcoweb.nsf/SearchViewVideo/B418C9AB36175B7C80257FC100735D21?OpenDocument&OpenUp=True

Extra Content (presented in 2D only): Amounts to 2 hours in total (Taken from HMV UK)

Uniting The World's Finest-Glimpse the future of DC’s bold new cinematic superheroes
    Gods and Men: A Meeting of Giants - Become a witness to history as you discover how everything in Batman and Superman’s pasts have been leading up to this ultimate, epic showdown
    The Warrior, The Myth, The Wonder - Explore the origin, evolution and powerful impact on popular culture by the legendary Amazonian Wonder Woman
    Accelerating Design: The New Batmobile - Batman’s newest ride is sleek, tough, loud, and fast as hell. Host Sal Masekela goes under the hood of the celebrated vehicle, then puts rubber to the road
    Superman: Complexity & Truth - Experience the transformation as Henry Cavill goes from earnest journalist in glasses and tweeds to a powerful godlike being in a streamlined caped costume
    Batman: Austerity & Rage - From cape to cowl and from rugged body armor to carefully-tailored suits, Batman’s outer gear perfectly camouflages and expresses the fury that simmers within
    Wonder Woman: Grace & Power - From her gladiator-influenced costume to her shield and sword, she is the mortal incarnation of a warrior goddess
    Batcave: Legacy of The Lair - Nature and technology exist side by side in Batman’s breath-taking and modernistic subterranean digs
    The Might and The Power of A Punch - A dynamic and illustrative look at the power, physics and fascinating details that make the battle between Batman and Superman so formidable
    The Empire of Luthor - Dive deeper into the inception of an entirely new interpretation of Lex Luthor, including an examination of his storied history in the comics
    Save the Bats - Learn how the cast and crew gave back to the environment and brought awareness to a very real ecological problem

http://store.hmv.com/film-tv/blu-ray/batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-(hmv-exclusive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmm, looking at the two:
    BvS (12A):
    http://www.ifco.ie/website/IFCO/ifcoweb.nsf/SearchViewFilm/618081E1C55BFE8380257F5E0053F308?OpenDocument&OpenUp=True
    and
    BvS UE (15):
    http://www.ifco.ie/website/IFCO/ifcoweb.nsf/SearchViewVideo/B418C9AB36175B7C80257FC100735D21?OpenDocument&OpenUp=True

I'm going to guess, the additional violence is Batman related and that we'll just see bad words where they had been censored for release.

Regardless, I think what I really want is the extra minutes to make the film just not be so rushed.

Some updates for you regarding the film.

This appears to be a new advert for the Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray release with an interview excerpt featuring Henry Cavill.

https://amp.twimg.com/v/5bb8ebd7-8d36-4b9d-bd3e-8e14e6ac7efa

A new photograph came up online with Henry Cavill, Jesse Eissenberg & Zack Snyder while doing scenes for BvS.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ClFda-eWEAEqlHO.jpg:orig

Also this is a bit of a mad story to read today.

A woman in the U.S. is facing charges from police after drop kicking a BvS birthday cake which was meant to be eaten for her 7 year old sons birthday party. The incident happened in a bakery at a Kroger store at Bloomfield Township in Michigan.

http://comicbook.com/2016/06/17/woman-faces-charges-for-drop-kicking-batman-v-superman-cake-at-k/

There is a video report into the story at the link below.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/oakland-county/woman-drop-kicks-boys-birthday-cake-at-bloomfield-township-kroger

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

image.jpg

Looks like people who prefer DC movies are going to get labelled as misogynistic.

image.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

No, he doesn't say all DC fans are angry misogynist men, he said angry misogynist men tend to favour DC. Very different statements.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »
    No, he doesn't say all DC fans are angry misogynist men, he said angry misogynist men tend to favour DC. Very different statements.

Both statements are daft.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Are we supposed to be taking single, isolated tweets as social trend indicators now or something?

I remember when my half baked, badly thought out theories stayed between my ears. Suddenly people tweet the bloody things for the world to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DC comic fans are all Trump supporters, Marvel comic fans are all Brexiters, Dark Horse comic fans are all misogynists and Image comic fans are all filthy social justice warriors.

Am I doing this right?

Seriously, though: minor pop culture writer tweets stupid comment, people get unnecessarily outraged based on a fallacious interpretation of stupid tweet. The world, however, spins madly on.

I agree with both of the statements being completely daft.

How does this relate to BVS though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I agree with both of the statements being completely daft.

How does this relate to BVS though?

Doesn't really have anything to do with it, but fallacious outrage over random tweets knows no bounds!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Faraci has been engaged in a long running pitched battle with film and comic book nerds of all affiliations. He likes winding them up and watching them go. He's been doing it for well over a decade now and has gotten very good at it.

Thanks for the update guys.

A new trailer has popped up for the Digital HD Release of the UE. Includes some behind the scenes footage of the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

DC comic fans are all Trump supporters, Marvel comic fans are all Brexiters, Dark Horse comic fans are all misogynists and Image comic fans are all filthy social justice warriors.

Am I doing this right?

Seriously, though: minor pop culture writer tweets stupid comment, people get unnecessarily outraged based on a fallacious interpretation of stupid tweet. The world, however, spins madly on.

What if you liked 2000AD?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I watched the extended version today. Its still a terrible movie I will never watch again.

I watched the extended version today. Its still a terrible movie I will never watch again.

Urgh... :(

I'd been thinking about watching it but feeling like it'd be a chore and now moreso

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

Well then you definitely watched it in horrendous quality, maybe you could have held off for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭LightsStillOn

I'm the opposite! Hated it in the cinema but quite enjoyed the ultimate cut. Definitely fleshed everything out a lot more I thought, it's still very far from being perfect, but it's not a bad movie at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

I'm thinking i'll like the extended cut. from reading screenrant etc a lot of places are saying the extended does solve a lot of story problems - although if you hated it in the cinema chances are you'll still hate it.

I liked it so I'm hoping it improves it ala the Kingdom of heaven directors cut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭techdiver

Just watched the Ultimate Edition. I was one who liked the original cut but was not completely blinkered to dismiss the obvious shortfalls.

I really enjoyed the Ultimate Cut. It is a far superior film and addresses many of the pacing and story issues of the original cut. I'm left thinking why did Warner force the shorter cut when they knew it was inferior?? I know there are commercial considerations regarding multiple showings per day in the cinema, but i'm convinced they would have done better by releasing this version in the first place.

Many of the plot holes sorted and motivations were expanded upon. I'm not going to go into details at this time as many others won't want it spoiled, but the movie just flowed better and didn't feel as long as it was.

Whilst watching the original in the cinema, whilst I enjoyed a lot of it, I found it very badly put together and it jumped from scene to scene too quickly without any development. In my opinion, most of this has been resolved in the Ultimate Cut. The worry of some people was that the Ultimate Cut would just be extended action sequences etc, but most of the time is used for story development.

For me the original cut was 6-7/10 and this is 8-9/10. There are still some issues, but it is just a vastly superior film. I actually think Snyder should be cut some slack here as much of the issues with the original cut was down to executive level at Warner Brothers I imagine. If he had been permitted to release this version in the first place, I'm convinced it wouldn't have received the critical panning it got. I'm not saying it would be acclaimed or anything, but I think it would have done better across the board.

Edit: Here is a review from collider - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSI2w1Q_PXk

Schnepp in particular has been won over by this version having pretty much hated the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Just finished watching this and I completely agree with techdiver here. Blame should be placed at the foot of whoever cut the cinematic version and WB for making the decision to cut the film down. Cinematic BvS is an OK film, Ultimate Cut BvS is the best comic book film of the year for me at least anyway.

There is some scenes cut that that I was like "why cut that", 10-20 second bits and some entire sections that just help the film flow and answer questions.

Some quick things off the top of my head:

>The reason people thought superman killed the people near the start of the film.

>All of Clark Kent's stuff is completely gone, him investigating "The Batman". In the old version when batman comes around that corner in the batmobile and superman is suddenly standing there and now dislikes batman well that now makes total sense. Because you've seen why Clark thinks batman is wrong.

>The reason why the people in jail get killed when branded.

>Superman helping people after the bomb went off at the hearing.

>All the lead up to when Clark goes to the top of the mountain. His doubt. Really the character Clark Kent got the roughest deal from the cinematic cut.

>A lot of you seeing lex pulling the strings behind the scenes, you see that he plays Bruce and Clark off against each other for most of the film. (I'm still not a fan of the way Jesse plays him though)

>A complete sub story of the girl who gives an eye witness account of Superman in the events in the desert.

>The R rating thing- I can only say the cut off point to get an R rating must be very low.

I'm 100% sure this version of the film would have made way more money despite its runtime. WB hurt this film more than anyone else.

I'll be very interested to see will some critics change much of their opinion after seeing this cut. This is the version everyone should see.

F**K YES!

F**KING!

YES!

Just watched the Ultimate Edition. Whoever butchered the cinema version NEEDS to be fired!
    • The story is way better laid out.
    • Things actually make sense.
    • There's literally plot.. like necessary plot.. that was cut!
    • The pacing is just fine, not half as rushed
    • The space scene doesn't look like they ran outta time/budget for the superman effects

Baddie scenes and baddie plot.
    Family scenes and family plot.
    BATMAN VS SUPERMAN PLOT!!!
    Alfred stuff!

Actually you know who's jumped to higher ranks for me... Martha Kent. Just something felt different.

I'll be there was a bunch more hidden bits too! Just one that I noticed was in very dark.. there was graffitied onto a wall: quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quis_custodiet_ipsos_custodes?
    "Who will guard the guards themselves?"
    or
    "Who watches the watchmen"

Seriously though wtf with Batman and the cards? and Arkham and having friends there. I got this eerie feel like he's been turned by the Joker but was like nah no way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Slydice wrote: »
    I'll be there was a bunch more hidden bits too! Just one that I noticed was in very dark.. there was graffitied onto a wall: quis custodiet ipsos custodes
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quis_custodiet_ipsos_custodes?
    "Who will guard the guards themselves?"
    or
    "Who watches the watchmen"

There's also a riddler question mark on one of the pillars.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Just finished the extended cut. Look, this film has its problems, not least that we're all beginning to fatigue with superhero films & their inevitable city (or parts of) destroying battles.

However, the pacing was a lot better in this. There was no constant feel of rushing to cover as much ground as possible. The extra context presented in this cut also provided much need motivation & explanation, plugging some holes along the way. The biggest sins of omission in the theatrical release (why everyone thought Superman was a killer, & what Luthor was babbling about at the end IIRC) were cleared up nicely. Clark's character got a bit more screen time too which didn't hurt.

Anyway, not a masterpiece but actually found myself entertained by this cut instead of being annoyed/bored like I was in the cinema. Apart from concerns with the bloated running time, I find myself wondering why the studio would rather take the risk with a sh!te cut than a long one. Bad reviews must have hurt this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Same from me. I watched it again last night (don't start this movie late, it's loooong). It turned a movie that I considered pretty bad into a movie that is just above average. That's just for me though, other opinions will differ.

I think about 70% of the major issues I had with the movie were resolved. There's still some glaring issues. As a non comic book reader the desert scene, dream within a dream with the Flash and Wonder Woman watching AVIs of the other meta humans could all have been lost with no loss to the movie and there's a new addition right at the end that non comic book readers will not see the point of. I only know what it was about as I've been reading forums.

Lex, Batman & Clarke were all given a bit more screen time to clear up some issues for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have the ultimate edition pre-ordered for the first of August, is it already out in other coutries/outlets?

I have the ultimate edition pre-ordered for the first of August, is it already out in other coutries/outlets?

Digital release in some territories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Australia is out 2 weeks earlier mid July if you want to get it early order it from Australia at the same price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah was just wondering what the hell, my pre-order with Amazon says August.

And people wonder why I pirate : /

Will still get the blu-ray mind you, actually came out of the cinema really liking it, so assuming ultimate edition only better.

I think it's a really bad move sales wise to release this in the US digitally weeks before the Blu ray.

Most sales would have been made off the back of positive reviews for this version of the film but by the time it's available the excitement will have died down and and the people who really wanted to see it will have got their hands on it, will they then go and buy a physical copy a month later?

I'd have 100% bought the Blu ray if that was out this week instead of having to find other means. Another bad decision on WB's part, it's like they are afraid of money or something.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah was just wondering what the hell, my pre-order with Amazon says August.

And people wonder why I pirate : /

Will still get the blu-ray mind you, actually came out of the cinema really liking it, so assuming ultimate edition only better.

The ultimate edition has actually made me dislike the cinematic version. There's just so much needlessly changed and once you see it its hard to go back. I gave the cinematic version a 7 when it came out and all the parts that I liked are still there but now wrapped up in a far better story for me.

I'd drop that first cut to a 5 now and give this ultimate cut an 8. If I ever watch this again it will be ultimate cut from here on that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I would give the cinematic release of this film a minus six. I don't really like the idea of these ultimate editions etc because I really feel like a director should be able to make a good, coherent film straight out, within the limitations set for them (which is to say, there's no way Snyder didn't know he couldn't do a 3 hour movie to be released in cinemas and should have been able to make the film suit a more realistic run time). That said, my interest is slightly piqued by the very positive reviews of this new cut. I may acquire this and give it a watch after all.

Had a search for any cinemas that might be showing the Ultimate Edition here.

Alas .. no luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ultimate edition was an entertaining mess so the theatrical cut must have been even messier.

I was in hysterics when Aquaman was introduced and when Superman walked into the hearing.

6/10.

• Advertisement

I would give the cinematic release of this film a minus six. I don't really like the idea of these ultimate editions etc because I really feel like a director should be able to make a good, coherent film straight out, within the limitations set for them (which is to say, there's no way Snyder didn't know he couldn't do a 3 hour movie to be released in cinemas and should have been able to make the film suit a more realistic run time). That said, my interest is slightly piqued by the very positive reviews of this new cut. I may acquire this and give it a watch after all.

Honesty at - 6 you can only have pure hatred for this film. At that level of disdain I doubt your mind can be changed

Honesty at - 6 you can only have pure hatred for this film. At that level of disdain I doubt your mind can be changed

I agree. It was a terrible film in every way but some great acting from a couple of cast members.

I agree. It was a terrible film in every way but some great acting from a couple of cast members.

Well I'd tell you to go in with low expectations but I don't think they can be any lower :pac:

Hopefully you at least enjoy it a bit more this time. Might get that score upto a 2 or 3 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Question here..so Superman dies, and as indicated in the closing second he is going to come back in future DCU..what does that mean for Clark Kent? He had a funeral too, so him just showing up some day is gonna look at bit weird.

The only valid conclusion i can see is that he Clark character wont show up again, but surely that can't happen can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭SteM

Question here..so Superman dies, and as indicated in the closing second he is going to come back in future DCU..what does that mean for Clark Kent? He had a funeral too, so him just showing up some day is gonna look at bit weird.

The only valid conclusion i can see is that he Clark character wont show up again, but surely that can't happen can it?

My feeling is you've given it more thought than snyder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

SteM wrote: »

hahaaha :pac:

SteM wrote: »

Exactly as SteM says.

I had this same question leaving the cinema. Could they just move forward without Clark as a character? It's possible I guess but it'd definitely be an awful awful decision that would completely miss the point of the character. Which makes it even more likely for Snyder. Thankfully, Geoff Johns, much as I'm not so big a fan of his writing, will not let that happen.

Well I'd tell you to go in with low expectations but I don't think they can be any lower :pac:

Hopefully you at least enjoy it a bit more this time. Might get that score upto a 2 or 3 :D

Fingers crossed! I was heartbroken leaving the cinema after this.

I keep reading how the R rated cut is so much better than the PG13 rated cut, makes you wonder why they didn't just release that version in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

ps3lover wrote: »
    I keep reading how the R rated cut is so much better than the PG13 rated cut, makes you wonder why they didn't just release that version in the first place.

A superman film you couldn't bring your kids to would be an odd decision, imo.

But if it had gotten better reviews and WOM, maybe it wouldn't have dropped like a rock everywhere it was released and made more money.

They still could have released most of the extended version in a pg rating. There are only a handful of scenes that tip it over the R rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I really think they should have just broken this into a two-parter with 2 x 2hr films. Have the Bats v Supes storyline and the discovery of other meta-humans in the first movie and have the two of them team up with WW to take on Lex and Doomsday in the second part and give the death of Superman storyline more room to breathe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I guess it will be Clark was missing during Doomsday attack and presumed dead and he is later found in a hospital somewhere alive

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

McLoughlin wrote: »
    I guess it will be Clark was missing during Doomsday attack and presumed dead and he is later found in a hospital somewhere alive

But they buried his body.

• Advertisement
Advertisement