Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 'properties' disagrees with 'WinDirSta' ?

Options
  • 08-08-2013 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭

Re my son's windows7 PC. (I'm a Mac user:D)

When he does a 'properties' on his SSD drive, it tells him it is 98% full. So he wanted to find out what files were causing this ... so I told him to download a directory analyses app called WinDirSta.

WinDirSta says this drive is only 25% full......

Anyone have any ideas on a better application to sort this ?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

You could try Spacesniffer or Treesize, although I've been using WinDirStat for years and never had any issues with it.

Are you running it as administrator? If not it won't be able to see files it can't access.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thanks maki ... it may have something to do with Windows Image Backup ? is that possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Could be. Although they should turn up if you run the scan as admin.

One thing to do is to run chkdsk /r from a command prompt. There might just be a filesystem problem that's causing the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

Thanks for that - will do.

Advertisement