Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband options with no landline

• 09-08-2013 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I recently moved to Celbridge and am trying to figure out what broadband to get. I wanted to transfer my upc from my old house in dublin but it seems that although they do cover my estate they do not cover my particular road in the estate! :mad:
    As I have no experience of broadband outside of upc I just wanted to work out what were my best options?
    Rang sky who said that it seemed my landline was inactive. I then rang eircom who confirmed that there is no landline in my house and that they will charge me 250 euro to connect it unless I sign up with them to a 12 mth contract and then the connection fee will be waived.
    The eircom guy told me I will get 15mgb broadband speed going on a house three doors down for me.
    Is there anyway around this rather large connection fee do people know?
    I know I can avoid it by signing up but I don't want to sign up to eircom and then realise that my speeds are a tiny fraction of the 15 mg he promised.
    I'm used to 30 mg in my old house which generally runs at 20/21 mg in reality.
    I realise there might be old threads on this type of thing but I know these things change pretty fast and I don't want to sign up to eircom for 12 months only to find out that there are much better options coming down the road in a month or two that others had known about all along.
    In short, all help in pointing out my various options much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

VDSL is due in Celbridge by year end according to the Eircom website. That offers a max of 70Mbps down, depending on how close to the street cabinet you are. You'll still need a landline connected though. You'll probably have to pay Eirom's prices for the year to avoid the connection fee, but then you could ditch them and switch to a reseller of the same VDSL (UTV are advertising €25 pm for BB only including line rental, you could then get your telephony from a VoIP supplier like Blueface).

Advertisement