Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 24), August 9-10, 2013

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I definitely remember 10th and 11th playing each other a few seasons ago, when did that change?

Can't keep up with the league changes in this bloody league.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I definitely remember 10th and 11th playing each other a few seasons ago, when did that change?

Not sure I remember that ever being the case. I know the first division playoffs had 2nd v 3rd with the winner playing the premier playoff team alright. That was pretty recently as well.

This weekends results were great for us. Every below us lost while we won. If we can take 3 points off Bray Friday we can be 100% sure of safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

gimmick wrote: »
    Not sure I remember that ever being the case. I know the first division playoffs had 2nd v 3rd with the winner playing the premier playoff team alright. That was pretty recently as well.

This weekends results were great for us. Every below us lost while we won. If we can take 3 points off Bray Friday we can be 100% sure of safety.

As fun as it would have been to see you lot get dragged into the relegation battle we obviously need to be more concerned about the like of Bray and Bohs so by all means please, continue with the favours.
    Thought Cork would be pushing for a European spot this year at the start of the season.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Thought Cork would be pushing for a European spot this year at the start of the season.

So did a lot of people but the fact is our squad was never any better than half decent. We are around where we should be give or take.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I knew I wasn't making it up!

In 2010, Bray played Galway in a playoff (single leg), and lost 1-0. Bray then beat Monaghan over 2 legs (via penalty shootout) to stay up.

Seems like it changed for the 2011 season.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

dfx- wrote: »
    Was he talking about his foul on...Forrester? That was a penalty..

Nope Forans. Flood got his shot away, then was pushed. Which is sort of common place as defenders do it instinctively to protect the keeper.

Not that it matters now though, same as last year, just looking forward to next season....and more importantly what happens during the offseason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I knew I wasn't making it up!

In 2010, Bray played Galway in a playoff (single leg), and lost 1-0. Bray then beat Monaghan over 2 legs (via penalty shootout) to stay up.

Seems like it changed for the 2011 season.
    Bray played Drogheda in a single game playoff the year before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I thought we could sneak a top 4. the reality is I was deluded.

Still though we should have another 6-9 points better off at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I thought we could sneak a top 4. the reality is I was deluded.

Still though we should have another 6-9 points better off at this stage.

We should definitely be better off. Negative tactics at home cost us a lot of points. Thats not even to mention the ridiculous constant changing of the defence for half the season. Of course its all ifs and buts, but we certainly should be higher if the team was handled properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sean O Connor says sorry
    “During the course of last Friday night’s match against my former club, St Patrick’s Athletic, an incident occurred that I now regret and I wish to explain.

“It was a very competitive occasion which ended with an extremely disappointing result for my club. Following the red card I received, I reacted in an inappropriate manner. The gesture, which was clearly unacceptable, followed from my own frustration at being sent off and was in response to verbal abuse I had received from St Pat’s fans throughout the game and which intensified at that moment.

“I realise, however, as a professional footballer that I must rise above that and channel my disappointment in a different manner. I apologise unreservedly to anyone who was offended by the gesture.”

-

Issued by Rovers

BRQYZoACMAAjzzU.jpg:large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

4:0 doesn't sound very competitive to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Sean O Connor says sorry

There's no way he wrote even one word of that statement. DOesn't have the brain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,579 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Wouldn't want him anywhere near any club I even slightly like.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Way too many big words in that statement for O'Connor to have written that himself.

lol just seen O Connors red again and Forans red.

Not sure what Croly and Finn were on about in saying they were harsh.

tbh we should have had another peno but thats being greedy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

2nd one was a cert for a red card

1st one IMO was harsh, but the ref would have seen the push on the back and by the letter of the law it was a red all day aswell

The 1st was never a red. Not even a foul imo.

Not sure im the only one, but definitely wouldn't say the first was even a foul, and the second im not sure about either. Looked like Forrester was going down before finn put his hand on him.

O'Connors red, which on the night I thought was a red, not even sure. Clear shoulder to shoulder, once again forrester was always going to go down rather than try take him on. I think if that was in open play it would go down as a shoulder challenge, just because where it is the red card was inevitable.

Maybe it's just green tinted glasses looking at it, but I just cant see Forans as impeding at all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

First one was not a red from the camera and the other decisions don't matter very much once down to 10 as Croly lost the plot. Pats fans beside me at the time thought it was for a pulled shirt. I don't think anyone knew..

Pity it was a decent game until then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

No debate over the first peno for me. Slight but clear push.

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:

kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
    trips or attempts to trip an opponent
    jumps at an opponent
    charges an opponent
    strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
    pushes an opponent
    tackles an opponent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just had a look there at MNS on the Rovers-Pats games.

Two definite red cards.

First one was a blatant push, second one the defender took the attacker out of it making no attempt to play the ball.

Both were goal scoring chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I can see the 'letter of the law' argument for the Derek Foran red but, if those were given all the time, LOI games would have about 4 penalties each and finish with 7-a-side. Maybe I'm biased because he's one player who's given his all this year, but I'd find that harsh in any context.

Second one was nailed on red. Unforgivably lazy, aside from being stupid. There's a really nasty, indisciplined attitude in the dressing room, and it's derailed what was turning into an unexpectedly decent season.

Forgot to ask last week, Why did Foran not start in oriel last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I'm guessing that it's just a case of McGuinness and Oman being Rovers first choice centre backs this season.

He's probably been the signing of the season, bit of a David Luiz though in the fact he's a bit of a loose cannon. Has a habit of silly free kicks, red cards etc. Croly also seems to rotate the squad every week, just incase we start to click as a team...

Looks like we'll be without our first four choice centre backs for Bohs.

Same team to face Sligo that faced Pats bar Murphy replacing injured Brush in goal and Ledwith (Our best performer) is dropped for powell

Im sure Sligo can better 4-0

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Sligo up 1 nil

Gift from powell, who is playing due to the inform Ledwith being dropped.

It seems all luck is going against Croly as every decision seems to be highlighted with a mistake.

Edit: Not a bad cross though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Interesting at the top with that score from Tallaght

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    Interesting at the top with that score from Tallaght
    League Cup game. Has no real impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,076 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Oops, forgot about that.Lost interest in that when Drogs stuffed us!

I wouldn't say it has no impact (not on the league of course) but it'll do Rovers morale the power of good for the remainder of the season run-in

Elding scored??? really?

NIMAN wrote: »
    Oops, forgot about that.Lost interest in that when Drogs stuffed us!

I wouldn't say it has no impact (not on the league of course) but it'll do Rovers morale the power of good for the remainder of the season run-in
    They don't have a realistic chance

They have no chance of finishing inside the top 4

There only hope for Europe will be winning the FAI Cup

Powel played well given the mistake and he was up against by a long way Sligo's best player in Djalili..

Ryan was very good and Robinson was decent, it's much easier to play in the middle against Ndo than Russell and Bolger though. Sligo very professional in their fouls.

• Advertisement

Powel was good, as was O'Connor despite the glory shots.

Djalili was also very good. At the start of the season I seen him vs us, pats and someone else and he was aweful. Really gained confidence though.

Sheppard was also excellent. Robinson now captain...does this mean he's first name on the teamsheet?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ebbs wrote: »
    Djalili was also very good. At the start of the season I seen him vs us, pats and someone else and he was aweful. Really gained confidence though.

He got fit and lost a bit of weight. Finally seeing the player most of us expected when he signed in March.

Advertisement