Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bush eaters in charlesland wood.

Options
  • 09-08-2013 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Myself and a neighbour live in the wood
    .over the last few months we noticed something eating the leaves of our hedges.(the same evergreen hedge is grown throughout the estate) check the edge of leaves for the tell tale semi circle cut along the edge of leaves..last night we upped our search and bingo!! We discovered the noctournal "black vine weevil" (otiorhynchus sulcatus) infesting the hedges these nasty devastating bugs destroy green leaves at night while its larve eat away at the root.they will eat almost anything including hollys .laurels rhodadendrons amd even herbaceous plants..spraying is recommended to tackle this serious pest so keep a look out fellow gardeners.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Maudi wrote: »
    Myself and a neighbour live in the wood
    .over the last few months we noticed something eating the leaves of our hedges.(the same evergreen hedge is grown throughout the estate) check the edge of leaves for the tell tale semi circle cut along the edge of leaves..last night we upped our search and bingo!! We discovered the noctournal "black vine weevil" (otiorhynchus sulcatus) infesting the hedges these nasty devastating bugs destroy green leaves at night while its larve eat away at the root.they will eat almost anything including hollys .laurels rhodadendrons amd even herbaceous plants..spraying is recommended to tackle this serious pest so keep a look out fellow gardeners.

Put yourself in the otiorhynchus sulcatus`s shoes for a minute, he`s only doing what he has to do to survive.

"Serious pest".. bit harsh on the poor lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Only noticed the other day if u park in front of superquinn the hedge is very badly attacked by something.:):):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Woofstuff wrote: »
    Put yourself in the otiorhynchus sulcatus`s shoes for a minute, he`s only doing what he has to do to survive.

"Serious pest".. bit harsh on the poor lads.

Im totally serious.you are welcome to come and look at my bush..its a serious plant pest..with winter approaching and the hedgeing eaten away its open to secondary disease.

bido wrote: »
    Only noticed the other day if u park in front of superquinn the hedge is very badly attacked by something.:):):rolleyes:

Il check it out later but sounds like the same buggers..i grow a few veg etc so wpuld be familiar woth pests but this looks like a serious threat ..ive never seen hedgeing attacked like this before

bido wrote: »

Il check it out later but sounds like the same buggers..i grow a few veg etc so wpuld be familiar woth pests but this looks like a serious threat ..ive never seen hedgeing attacked like this before

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭Woofstuff

Im totally serious.you are welcome to come and look at my bush..its a serious plant pest..with winter approaching and the hedgeing eaten away its open to secondary disease.

I was only having a laugh really :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

you are welcome to come and look at my bush

There's an offer that can't be refused! :pac:

I'm really sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes........... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

DD9090 wrote: »
    There's an offer that can't be refused! :pac:

I'm really sorry, I just can't help myself sometimes........... :o

Since when did you get a personality? :P

Sine when did you get a personality? :P

Lol..see ya next week cheeky chops

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought I'd landed in the "swingers" thread by mistake there for a moment :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Alun wrote: »
    I thought I'd landed in the "swingers" thread by mistake there for a moment :)

Don't worry, I'm just looking at Stately Homes in the area that will accept group bookings.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

I sooo got the wrong idea about this post ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

thats really interesting to hear. all the hedges in the Grove are the same between the houses, all the leaves are totally destroyed and eaten away. is there anything you can do to get rid of them?

eleMental wrote: »
    thats really interesting to hear. all the hedges in the Grove are the same between the houses, all the leaves are totally destroyed and eaten away. is there anything you can do to get rid of them?

If you go out at night with a torch you should find the little fuc...pests.handy enough.gray beetles ..8 mm long pointy at the front end..or google black weevils..not that handy to get rid of..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

The title of this thread could have made a good headline for The Sun !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Zoe zebra wrote: »
    The title of this thread could have made a good headline for The Sun !:D

This post is listed under 'Swingers in Greystones' on my nightly update - I did wonder what was going on at all - OH MY ( but I did have a peek in the thread heh heh)

Advertisement