Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Eircom botch this installation?

• 09-08-2013 10:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

My new landline is giving me problems....the new filter that goes on the front that has RJ45/11 wont work for some reason. Eircom tried two different filters and both were duff....wouldnt allow sync.

So how the smeg am i gonna be able to get fibre that needs the new faceplate :(

IMG_20130806_094855.jpg

IMG_20130806_094914.jpg

IMG_20130806_111010.jpg

IMG_20130806_111053.jpg

IMG_20130806_114451.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Does it sync without a filter? (the filter is to remove the high frequencies from your telephone, not the other way around). If it doesn't sync without a filter then there's something wrong with the line somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

murphaph wrote: »
    Does it sync without a filter? (the filter is to remove the high frequencies from your telephone, not the other way around). If it doesn't sync without a filter then there's something wrong with the line somewhere.

It syncs without the filter fine.....when you put the filter on it wont sync:

Upstream Downstream
    CurrRate(kbps) 1020 12287
    MaxRate(kbps) 1140 17260
    NoiseMargin(dB) 9.8 9.3
    Attenuation(dB) 29.0 11.6
    Power(dBm) 12.8 0.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭allen175

When your phones are connected do they cause interference? maybe the socket is designated only for broadband, do phones work on the socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Does it need the filter? I got VF eFibre installed with new faceplate and the tech told that no filter is needed, because they are now inbuilt, and there is one socket for phone and one for broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

finnteme wrote: »
    Does it need the filter? I got VF eFibre installed with new faceplate and the tech told that no filter is needed, because they are now inbuilt, and there is one socket for phone and one for broadband.

Is the faceplate is the connection inside the door?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭finnteme

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Is the faceplate is the connection inside the door?

Yes, i had normal broadband earlier, and i needed to use the filter, and after they installed new faceplate, i dont need to use filter anymore.

Not sure if this is the same situation though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Not sure if this is the same situation though

Thanks, I've eFibre coming soon, but no mention of the new faceplate.

Mine is buried inside a new door that was installed. :(

allen175 wrote: »
    When your phones are connected do they cause interference? maybe the socket is designated only for broadband, do phones work on the socket?

No interference and the phone works fine connected to the modem or phone socket.

You misunderstand....see the pics, the filter *is* the new faceplate they put on...it has Ethernet and phone connectors on the front.

Its the new faceplate itself that is causing the issue. http://postimg.org/image/q9pztk269/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its less likely for a tech install to fail than a regular cheapo splitter, but its not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You misunderstand....see the pics, the filter *is* the new faceplate they put on...it has Ethernet and phone connectors on the front.

Its the new faceplate itself that is causing the issue. http://postimg.org/image/q9pztk269/
    I think you have your answer then. Better get on to Eircom and have them install it properly. I'm totally unfamiliar with these Eircom sockets but I presume the bit sitting on top of the wall mounted socket is the faceplate (reverse shown with "plug" on top left) and it effectively sits into the RJ45 connector that the cable is currently plugged into? If so, that seems like a flaky design to me. I would have expected the faceplate to be hard wired to the incoming line with screw connectors, not rely on a plug/socket connection like that.

murphaph wrote: »
    I think you have your answer then. Better get on to Eircom and have them install it properly. I'm totally unfamiliar with these Eircom sockets but I presume the bit sitting on top of the wall mounted socket is the faceplate (reverse shown with "plug" on top left) and it effectively sits into the RJ45 connector that the cable is currently plugged into? If so, that seems like a flaky design to me. I would have expected the faceplate to be hard wired to the incoming line with screw connectors, not rely on a plug/socket connection like that.

+1 i would have expected the new faceplate to be hardwired direct, as it stands it just connects into the RJ11 connector....as seen on the left had side of pic.

Eircom ended up installing the old faceplate with just an RJ11 and no filter, it works....but hardly ideal when fibre comes here, you'll need the feckin new faceplate as RJ45 is how you connect the modem.

They tried 2 different faceplates and both wouldnt allow sync...unless they have a bad batch or the entire socket it fecked.

Advertisement