Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revenue Online System

Options
  • 09-08-2013 10:47am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭

Is it just me or have other people have problems with ROS? It seems so cumbersome and bureaucratic. I have so many pieces of mail from the Revenue with RAN numbers, passwords etc that I don't know whether I am coming or going! I find the phone service pathetic so I am going to go into Cathedral Street today and try sort things out. Anybody else with similar problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

It's possibly the worst system ever invented.

I get my accountant to file everything for me as I simply gave up trying.

The Certificate doesn't load in all browsers, the language used is aimed at the professionals - definitely not easy for a newly formed Ltd company to pick up and use.

Having worked in the UK for a number of years things were ALOT easier to navigate, thus making it far easier to pay the revenue on time plus once a payment was made you felt comfortable that you were in the clear.
    Using the ROS system here you just never know if you have completed the correct form or submitted the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Eh it works fine, any problems usually exist between keyboard and chair. The support is also fine when I need it, I just email them.

Using the certificates is REALLY not difficult if you have some basic computer knowledge. Works in (chrome + firefox + IE) for me. Even works under windows and linux, what platform does it not work on? Compare this to ****ty online banking systems that only work in IE on windows!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 69 ✭✭herthabsc

I can only go on my experience re online banking systems and have never had a problem with BoI. It is as easy peasy to use. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Just wish Revenue would be the same. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

No. There are laws in place governing official online transactions - you must use a certificate to digitally sign stuff. The ROS site merely conforms to regulations. Certificates are not difficult to use, and provides better security. Banks lose billions to hacking every year, mainly because users are clueless. Forcing them to use proper security inevitably results in whining however.

If you say BoI systems are fine you must be talking about the personal one, the business one is much much worse than anything anyone has ever experienced ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The revenue ROS system is quite easy to use once you get used to it - it is also considered to be one of the best in the world and miles ahead of HMRC in the UK!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

sandin wrote: »
    The revenue ROS system is quite easy to use once you get used to it - it is also considered to be one of the best in the world and miles ahead of HMRC in the UK!

Is that based on any relevant source or just your own opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

ROS is a pretty good system once you get it setup, has saved me a fortune on accounts/book keeper fees, however with changes in Java it now no longer runs on Chrome for Macs

Who ever designed BOI's business on line system should be shot with a ball of their own sh1t...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

Nuttzz wrote: »
    Who ever designed BOI's business on line system should be shot with a ball of their own sh1t...

:D Classic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

I need to return my tax for a rented accomadation, last year I was charged close to €500, is it handy enough to do myself online? its a very straight forward return and I could save myself the money, what do people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I need to return my tax for a rented accomadation, last year I was charged close to €500, is it handy enough to do myself online? its a very straight forward return and I could save myself the money, what do people think?

If you have all the figures you gave your accountant last year then you can go online to ROS and all the same figures should be there. Just substitute this year's figures and let the system work out what you need to pay. Should take you about 20 minutes. :)

If you still don't feel confident, there are accountants out there that will do end of year accounts for less than €150. Still very good money for 20 minutes work!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement