Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

*sigh* Depression city. Once again its a EL thread. Last Feb/March/April I would have put my house on a CL draw thread not this auld sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Not many quality teams in that draw, on paper Tottenham are the best by a mile.

What are people's opinions on the EL these days? A competition for the youths or something we should take seriously? Undecided myself tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

**** the EL :D Seriously, how many extra time games does it take to knock the stuffing out of a team for the weekend? How many poor performances did we put in after playing 120 minutes the previous Thursday? Fulham at home anyone? Focus on the league and the domestic cups and play the young lads for the EL.

European glory is all well and good but ultimately I feel it had a huge bearing on who finished in 4th last season.

^^^ totally agree. As a competition I do have time for it and I would love to win it but there is no doubt in my mind that it cost us big time last year.
    We got our arses handed to us in Milan (even though we squeezed through) and that was the start of our bad patch which ultimately cost us 4th place last year.

It should be used for squad players and to bring on young talent. Players like Defoe, Carroll, Hudd, Holtby, Naughton, Gomes, could all get decent game time to keep them fit and sharp without risking the first XI

i think we are in with a decent shout of 3rd this year, if we start mucking about with the EL at the business end of the season than it will be 5th or 6th again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Spurs v Dinamo Tbilisi, away trip to Georgia anyone?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Spurs v Dinamo Tbilisi, away trip to Georgia anyone?:rolleyes:

Away leg first yeah?

You'll have to get the midnight train (to Georgia)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Georgia on my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Away leg first yeah?

Yeah August 22nd then 29th. Has the feel of a classic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Home leg on the Thursday and then the Gooners that Sunday...
    At least we'll still be in London and no poxy travelling across Europe on Thursday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

hopefully avb has learnt his lesson after last season and wont put out our first team for this competition.

as been said already, it should be used to give the squad players game time to keep them fresh and it would be a good test for the younger players coming through. i'd like to see the likes of carroll, rose and townsend playing nearly all of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Play Bale in the first game, get him cup-tied

Cianan2 wrote: »
    Play Bale in the first game, get him cup-tied

Cup tied only applies to the competition you play in, he would be free to play CL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Are we on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

i think not its swansea on itv4 afik.... will need to find a stream id say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

ITV have announced that the game will now be shown on ITV4 5pm Kick Off ..so good news

Robxxx7 wrote: »
    ITV have announced that the game will now be shown on ITV4 5pm Kick Off ..so good news

super

Any word on a team?

As it's early in the season i would like to see a mixture of the new guys, lads who need match practice and some squad players.

Freidel
    Naughton-Dawson-Kaboul-BAE/Rose
    Paulinho-Carroll
    ---Townsend --Siggy----chandli
    Soldado/Defoe

"Which competition will AVB prioritise: the Premier League or Europa League?

"Last season I think we prioritised both competitions in the end. Same objective this season. We approach this season the same.

"We often played the same team Thursday to Sunday last season and had good success on Sundays. This playoff is very important to us."

I cant believe AVB thinks we had sucess on sundays last season we were muck after midweek EL games ffs

• Advertisement

Just about to post the same set of quotes.

No surprise really, he really likes the EL does our AVB. I'd prefered if he said he would take it seriously, try to win it but rotate a bit more.

well i suppose we will know tomorrow when we see the offical teamsheet.

at least we more strength in depth & a fitter, tougher ,high quality squad (hopefully mentally too-we still have to loose our bottlers tag when in the driving seat imo)

Verts and Lennon didn't travel. At least he's thinking of the weekend.

Tottenham Hotspur @SpursOfficial 2m
    Andre: "We decided to leave Jan out to have a full recovery on his ankle, it would be difficult to play Thursday and Sunday." #THFC

Andre: "Aaron has a pain in his foot. Rest is vital for the recovery. He was okay for Palace and will be okay for Swansea." #THFC

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Is there a Champions League spot going for the winners of the EL this season or is it not in till next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

tippspur wrote: »
    Is there a Champions League spot going for the winners of the EL this season or is it not in till next season?
    Not until 2015-2016 afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Game isn't on the ITV4 listings.

It's deffo on ITV4, it's on the homepage http://www.itv.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

It's deffo on ITV4, it's on the homepage http://www.itv.com/

I see it now, wasn't on a few sites like the Guardian.

Saw something on Facebook that its only on ITV4 in the UK and they will be showing a film instead in ROI. I don't have access to ITV4 so I didnt read too much into it, I might have picked it up wrong.

• Advertisement

Saw something on Facebook that its only on ITV4 in the UK and they will be showing a film instead in ROI. I don't have access to ITV4 so I didnt read too much into it, I might have picked it up wrong.

Yeah, they do that sometimes, just as well I have UK ITV4 :D

Advertisement