Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

The levee has been breached. Everyone will want to get on the score sheet.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

i dont understand why hes left dembele on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

nipps wrote: »
    i dont understand why hes left dembele on

Maybe he gona rest Dembele for the hammers game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

Nice win, nothing too exciting, pitch was dire though, lucky to come away without injuries

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Super ball, Oh Defoe scores again mmm?

Do you reckon he'd score consistently in the epl? I don't, but i'm basing that on having watched the guy over the years and not so much on his recent goals in the europa/league cups

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Job done 3pts. Hopefully Kaboul is not too serious. It would have been nice to give Dembele and Walker a break before the weekend, was suprised they played the full 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nipps

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Maybe he gona rest Dembele for the hammers game?

i hope so, he's due a rest. he's played in all 12 games this season, starting in 9 of them. i hope we see a midfield of sandro, paulinho, sig, townsend and eriksen against west ham

Do you reckon he'd score consistently in the epl? I don't, but i'm basing that on having watched the guy over the years and not so much on his recent goals in the europa/league cups

Well he hasn't started a game in the premiership, so I've no idea. I do know that he's scored 7 in 7. Opposition aside if Soldado or even Ade had of done the same, folks would be raving.

I expect Soldado to have a fantastic career at Tottenham. But, he hasn't scored from open play. If you're on a streak you should start regardless.

He's the type that scores in bursts then goes cold, it'll do no harm for Soldado to start a game from the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Well there goes 90mims of my life I won't get back. That pitch was absolutely shocking. Impossible to keep the ball on the ground.

Job done though, plenty of poor performances, Lamela, Fryers, Sandro. Can't read too much in to in. Likely that AVB told them to play the game at a slow pace to avoid fatigue and injury.

We'll tear them apart at WHL, very sad time for their club. Would love something similar to happen to Chelsea:):):)

"Because of his injury in the knee it has taken time for his body to adapt to new positions on his run," Villas-Boas said.

"Because of that he's putting extra strain on his muscles and keeps getting small contractions that limit him finishing the games.

"At the moment it doesn't look very serious but it will force him to stop for a week or so."

• Advertisement

"Because of his injury in the knee it has taken time for his body to adapt to new positions on his run," Villas-Boas said.

"Because of that he's putting extra strain on his muscles and keeps getting small contractions that limit him finishing the games.

"At the moment it doesn't look very serious but it will force him to stop for a week or so."

Cant see him having big part this season. Gona have to be used sparingly. Just hope he doesn't break down completely. It is worrying, hopefully the Romanian settles in soon.

Very unfortunate about Kaboul, playing on that surface wouldn't of helped. Vlad will get mauled in a proper match with wild eyed defending like that. Lamela was abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

3pts was the important thing. That's both Europa games that have been shocking 2nd half performances but I wouldn't worry too much, the opposition has been laughable. The tournament only gets going at the last 8 stage.

Just hope Kaboul is ok and he doesn't keep picking up knock after knock. I had him in my head as JV's partner this season, hopefully the international break aids his recovery.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Very unfortunate about Kaboul, playing on that surface wouldn't of helped. Vlad will get mauled in a proper match with wild eyed defending like that. Lamela was abysmal.

As you said yourself dodgy surface, wouldn't blame Lamela too much. Has to settle in, give him time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

It will be interesting to see what team AVB will pick for the FC Sheriff game,I really don't think there is any need to risk players in this match,Friedel should start in goal and if Kaboul is fit he should start aswel with either Rose(if fit) or Fryers at LB and Naughton at RB,I presume Eriksen,Dembele,Lamela and Lennon will also start seeing as they didn't start against Villa,and who knows maybe Ade will make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

tippspur wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what team AVB will pick for the FC Sheriff game,I really don't think there is any need to risk players in this match,Friedel should start in goal and if Kaboul is fit he should start aswel with either Rose(if fit) or Fryers at LB and Naughton at RB,I presume Eriksen,Dembele,Lamela and Lennon will also start seeing as they didn't start against Villa,and who knows maybe Ade will make an appearance.

I was thinking about this, hopefully a load of the starters for the next PL game won't even travel.

There's no need for the likes of Lloris, Walker, Jan, Paulinho, Townsend and Soldado to fly.

Friedel

Naughton Chiriches Kaboul Rose

Sandro Dembele

Lamela Eriksen Lennon

Defoe

Subs

Gomes
    Fryers
    Dawson
    Holtby
    Siggy
    Chadli
    Adebayor

Moldova on a Thursday night, groan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It must be really depressing for the players who are obviously much too good for the EL to see high profile CL matches like Barca AC last night on your way to Moldova.

Three points is vital tomorrow night. Our last away match, Tromso away, is in between the matches against the two Manchester teams.

So, if we win away in Moldova we only have to secure a point at home against Sheriff in order to guarantee qualification... so that we can take our foot off the peddle for the away match in Tromso.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

ziedth wrote: »
    It must be really depressing for the players who are obviously much too good for the EL to see high profile CL matches like Barca AC last night on your way to Moldova.

It might inspire them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Three points is vital tomorrow night. Our last away match, Tromso away, is in between the matches against the two Manchester teams.

So, if we win away in Moldova we only have to secure a point at home against Sheriff in order to guarantee qualification... so that we can take our foot off the peddle for the away match in Tromso.

Fully agree, need to be in a position to literally play a 2nd string team in the game between mancs x2

GS11 wrote: »
    It might inspire them.

I agree. Players may have more incentive to stay focused or face these unwanted, low profile and high mileage games games again next year.

I also think AVB should be concentrating more on prem league and playing more fringe players in this euro thingy. There should be less first teamers travelling to these events.

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I also think AVB should be concentrating more on prem league and playing more fringe players in this euro thingy. There should be less first teamers travelling to these events.

Walker, Townsend and Paulinho being rested so plenty of rotation to happen.

Lennon will start as he needs games now. Defoe, Eriksen and Lamela should start too.

Should be a formality, should be..

Lennon will start as he needs games now. Defoe, Eriksen and Lamela should start too.

Yes AVB is rotating because the squad is bigger. I would prefer if none or very few of the starting eleven for Sunday travelled for this game. Top four should be absolute priority and little or no risk should be taking in these EL games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

I would say holtby will start and eriksen kept for sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

What time is kickoff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

What time is kickoff?

6pm our time

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Fully agree, need to be in a position to literally play a 2nd string team in the game between mancs x2

If we win tonight and the other match ends in a draw, then we will guarantee qualification tonight. :D :cool:

mickman wrote: »
    I would say holtby will start and eriksen kept for sunday.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. Holtby started v Villa, Eriksen could do with 60mins.

I reckon a front four of Chadli, Eriksen, Lennon and Defoe.

• Advertisement

Anybody remember the last time we played a Moldovan team???

Answer

FC Zimbru in 1999.

We won 3-0 at home and drew 0-0 away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZliPihipqs

Advertisement