Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I agree with all the posters who believe Lamella should be giving time to settle in. The fact we paid big money is not his fault. If we want to whinge about that then it should be the scout, chairman and the manager who gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,741 ✭✭✭abff

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I agree with all the posters who believe Lamella should be giving time to settle in. The fact we paid big money is not his fault. If we want to whinge about that then it should be the scout, chairman and the manager who gets it.

Why are some people so quick to write him off? Maybe it's a sign of how much our expectations have risen, but we seriously need to back off and give him time to settle in.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

fcuk me, the overraction to Lamella is really embarrassing, kinda held spurs fans in a higher regard than that but I guess every other club have such vocally embarrassing fans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

People are right in saying that he shouldn't be starting, and they're more than entitled to ask if we paid over the odds for him, but those people need to remember he's 21. He may not be a starter for us at all this season. That shouldn't matter though, he may well go on to be better than Bale, and from reports I'm reading he has the potential to do so, but it's unlikely we'll see that potential being filled for a few years at least. Giving him time isn't even up for debate as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

My comment wasn't targeted at you Hatch. Some people were saying "send him out on loan" or "he wouldn't cut it in the Championship". Mental stuff.

Everdead makes a great point about Sandro. We all love him now.

Trust me, Lamela has had Totti, Baldini and all of Argentina raging about him (considering the ave Messi too) - he's earned a little bit of time to settle.

I know mate, all I'm saying is I'm disappointed in what he has showed against poor opposition in the EL, would be different if he was playing week in week out in the PL. I'm sure he has talent, like you say, he wouldn't be where he is if he was crap, just expected a little more. I have said countless times, he deserves time to settle, but no harm in showing a bit more life in his performances.

• Advertisement

fcuk me, the overraction to Lamella is really embarrassing, kinda held spurs fans in a higher regard than that but I guess every other club have such vocally embarrassing fans too.

:confused: fans not allowed voice an opinion ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Hatch99 wrote: »
    :confused: fans not allowed voice an opinion ?

As much as I'm not allowed to voice an opinion on those fans I guess. :confused:

As much as I'm not allowed to voice an opinion on those fans I guess. :confused:

of course you are, and I wouldn't even dream of saying that's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Ah I don't think it's an over-reaction. He hasn't produced, except in very rare moments and unfortunately, with the price that was paid (the highest ever for a Spurs player) we are all hoping he'd burn things up.

The problem is he hasn't, and at the moment most of us are looking at his performances and seeing not much effort, pace, determination, guile, strength, anything that would indicate a nearly £30m player is on the pitch. Remember, this is the same money Chelsea paid for our primary target Willian, who has produced significantly more than Lamela in what limited game time he's had.

I have no doubt that Lamela will be an excellent player for us, it's just not going to happen this season. Unfortunately after losing Bale we so much want it to happen this season so we can get back into the CL - we so much want our team to produce goals and to be a real threat at the top of the league, and if Lamela and the others were at the top of their game that could well happen.

The bottom line is that the £30m spent on Lamela, despite us all wanting him on board and being really excited about him coming, doesn't guarantee a top player. Not just yet anyway. Obviously he has the skills and ability, I just don't feel we'll see the best of him until next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Players like Sandro,Sigurdsson and Holtby took ages to settle into life at Tottenham and are now reaping the rewards of the managers (and fans) patience with them.
    Yes Lamela is struggling,looks lost,off the pace etc but at least we are doing well with the great form of Townsend and the suprising Sigurdsson so we at least have the luxury of giving him time to settle.I have no doubt he will come good for us,You don't turn into a bad player just because you change clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Players like Sandro,Sigurdsson and Holtby took ages to settle into life at Tottenham and are now reaping the rewards of the managers (and fans) patience with them.
    Yes Lamela is struggling,looks lost,off the pace etc but at least we are doing well with the great form of Townsend and the suprising Sigurdsson so we at least have the luxury of giving him time to settle.I have no doubt he will come good for us,You don't turn into a bad player just because you change clubs.

Siggy has gone totally off the boil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Thank fcuk Lennon is back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I had another look at one of Lamela's youtube videos,no doubt but he's a brilliant player.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 TOMJONESsings

jobeenfitz wrote: »

Fully agree with this. Lamella come highly recommended by Ossie and we should have faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

All he needs is game time,Preferably against english opposition.AVB just doesn't trust him enough to start him in the prem just yet.
    He won't start tomorrow but fully expect him to be in the 11 v hull in the midweek game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Should be a good game on Thursday. Looking forward to Lamela putting in another good shift. Would like to see either Ade or Kane get a run out too.

I'll be backing us with a -2 handicap:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lamela needs to start getting regular playing time, could do no worse than giving Kane a run out. Ade's latest comments were a wee bit melodramatic, still I'd play him regardless, after all he's on a focking fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Hope Erickson puts in a good display. Really want to see him back in the firsy XI, granted Holtby did deserve a spot in the team but I think we only saw a fraction of what Erickson was capable of in those few games he played and a spell in the team would do him the world of good

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Agreed on Lamela and Eriksen. Time for them to put their hand up and really demand inclusion in the PL team - good performances in this game will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Team I would like to see Thursday night assuming we use our usual system.

Hugo
    Walker----Kaboul---Vlad----Vert
    Dembele---Holtby
    Lennon
    Eriksen
    Lamela
    Kane

I believe there is injury doubts over Naughton and Chadli so limits our options for rotation. Does anyone know if Capoue and Rose are anywhere near back?

• Advertisement

KingdomYid wrote: »

Hugo
    Dembele---Holtby
    Lennon
    Eriksen
    Lamela
    Kane

I believe there is injury doubts over Naughton and Chadli so limits our options for rotation. Does anyone know if Capoue and Rose are anywhere near back?

Badly need rose back, capoue was on the bench last week wasn't he ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭bishopmuzorewa

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Badly need rose back, capoue was on the bench last week wasn't he ?

Capoue was on the bench v hull league cup but wasn't in the squad for Everton game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Hugo
    Dembele---Holtby
    Lennon
    Eriksen
    Lamela
    Kane

Lamela will be on the right and coming inside to link up with Eriksen.

I can see Capoue starting in centre midfield, it's a handy enough game for him to get back to fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Hugo
    Dembele---Holtby
    Lennon
    Eriksen
    Lamela
    Kane

I'd give Vertonghen and Walker the night off if at all possible. Is Fryers back from his injury? Maybe put Capoue at CB and Kaboul or Chiriches at RB.

I do like the idea of giving Holtby a run in a deeper role.

Probably Siggy on the left and Lamela on the right

I'd let Paulinho watch it from his couch, I don't support the whole tiredness thing as you know, but he looks shattered the last couple of games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hugo
    Dembele---Holtby
    Lennon
    Eriksen
    Lamela
    Kane

I doubt very much that we will see Hugo in goal for this game after what happened to him Sunday,Paulinho and Verts should be rested I think,Capoue and Kane starting hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

tippspur wrote: »
    I doubt very much that we will see Hugo in goal for this game after what happened to him Sunday,Paulinho and Verts should be rested I think,Capoue and Kane starting hopefully.

You are probably right about Hugo actually and yes Paulinho should be rested. If Naughton plays one of Walker and Verts will be rested and both could do with a night off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

If possible, I'd rest walker, Paulinho and Verts minimum. Hard to believe their aren't youth team right/left backs capable of filling in for a game like this. I too would like to see Holtby deeper, Eriksen, lamella and Kane get a go. Vital we play Lamela.

Advertisement