Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

soldado made a run last night with townsend on the ball,little slide rule ball and soldado was in for a shot or cross.townsend just cut in and ran into a wall of players.i could sense soldados frustration/hatred through the tv screen. id say he hates playing with him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Townsend did well last night for a period, then he got greedy and wouldn't pass it. That's the coaches job surely to have a word? I still think he's a great asset, he crossed the ball several times into the box but there was no one there.

Great to see Rose back, and Fredricks was good. More of a winger than a defender though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

LMAO @ Townsends shots stat. Would be funny if it wasn't so f**king depressing. Just goes to show how the english press can build up a player. Townsend is our Danny Welback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    That'll do, about time we stuffed someone. Finally a break from playing Sundays. Soldado will be raring to go.

Unfortunately we play Sunday next week again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Unfortunately we play Sunday next week again :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTFjrg83nsKuZgekEf1PiX3PxFQCwDLCmbGc_YSz3zc6ZQ-Tvzt5Q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

LMAO @ Townsends shots stat. Would be funny if it wasn't so f**king depressing. Just goes to show how the english press can build up a player. Townsend is our Danny Welback.

Yeah surely after taking the first 50 shots and not scoring once, you'd probably think it's not working and change your strategy.

At least Siggy has three from 34.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I do think Townsend is over rated I prefer Lennon over Townsend as well at least Lennon is a really hard worker defensively as well as offensively.

Also this Lamela disappoints for a 30m purchase yet the Gaurdian were valuing Townsend at 22m this week saying Moyes should go for him.

I think Lamela will be a much better player over the coming months especially given that he works hard defensively. Only issue is I suppose that he doesn't "light up" every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk (UKR) v Tottenham Hotspur

Great:rolleyes:

We got Dnipro of Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Fantastic - miles away. At least we're away first.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Fantastic - miles away. At least we're away first.

Current manager? One Juande Ramos:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Current manager? One Juande Ramos:D:D

Haha brilliant!

A nice stat to lift the mood.

"when AVB has been sacked, that season the club has gone on to win a European Competition 100% of the time" :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Will Sherdinand take this as seriously as AVB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Will Sherdinand take this as seriously as AVB?

I hope so may as well try and win the thing.

I think youth might get a lot more game time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

in the last 32 now, no game until Feb, great chance to go all the way, but some will say it's a joke cup and we should just work on the league, beggars can't be choosers for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Hatch99 wrote: »
    in the last 32 now, no game until Feb, great chance to go all the way, but some will say it's a joke cup and we should just work on the league, beggars can't be choosers for me...

Ask Chelsea fans if it's a joke cup. The celebrations from them when they won it were as if they had won the CL.

It's a trophy and should want to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I am one of those who couldn't give two fcuks about this comp. I don't totally discount it, it has its use, blooding young players and giving squad players playing time. Tim Sherwood has shown he is not afraid to play young players so I am assuming we will see more of them play than was the case. If this is the case then I see this being a positive in the new year. If we were out of the running for top 4 or had it secured then take this serious and give it a go.

• Advertisement

When does the new rule that allows the eventually EL winners to get a CL spot the following season come into effect?

When does the new rule that allows the eventually EL winners to get a CL spot the following season come into effect?

EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE RULE CHANGE
    Q: What are the Champions League rule changes?
    A: From 2015/16, the Europa League winners and the Champions League winners will both qualify for the following season's Champions League.
    Q: Will the maximum number of clubs from the top nations such as England in the Champions League remain at four clubs?
    A: No, there will be a maximum of five clubs but only under special circumstances.
    Q: When can a country have five clubs in the Champions League?
    A: Only when a club wins the Champions League or Europa League but finishes outside the top four in the domestic league. That happened last season when Chelsea finished sixth in the Premier League but took the Champions League spot from Tottenham who finished fourth, because they were European champions.
    Q: Will a country be able to have six clubs if both Champions League and Europa League winners come from the same nation and both finish outside of the top four?
    A: No - five is the maximum. In that unlikely scenario, the European trophy winners would qualify plus the top three.
    Q: If the Champions League or Europa League winners finish inside the top four of their domestic league, will that allow the runners-up to qualify?
    A: No, only the winners.
    Q: Will the Europa League winners go straight into the group phase of the Champions League?
    A: That has still to be confirmed but it appears that will usually be the case.
    Q: If the Champions League or Europa League winners also qualify via their domestic league, will that allow the fifth-placed club in the league to take the 'spare' qualification place?
    A: No, in that scenario there would still only be four clubs qualifying.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2329601/Europa-League-winners-given-Champions-League-place-UEFA.html#ixzz2pGN7spe6
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE RULE CHANGE
    Q: What are the Champions League rule changes?
    A: From 2015/16, the Europa League winners and the Champions League winners will both qualify for the following season's Champions League.

All I needed was the first one, but cheers anyway!

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnation.com/2014/2/4/5378282/tottenham-hotspur-uefa-europa-league-squad?
    The Europa League squad changes were announced on Tuesday, and they were mildly confusing. We decided to spell things out real quick. Milos Veljkovic is in, but Nabil Bentaleb is not. Don't worry, it makes sense.

Bentaleb, 20, was signed by Tottenham Hotspur in January of 2012. The Europa League rules state that a player who is under 21 and has been with his club for at least two years does not have to be registered on the 25-man 'A' list. They're part of a 'B' list and can be named in the squad at any time. Bentaleb is now part of that 'B' list.

Bentaleb was not registered for the Europa League at the start of the competition, meaning he was not eligible to play in the group stage. That's why the likes of Kenny McEvoy, Shaq Coulthirst and Laste Dombaxe made appearances in the squad during the group stage, but not Bentaleb.

Veljkovic was the one announced addition to Spurs' Europa League squad on Tuesday, with Simon Dawkins (and Lewis Hotlby) being unregistered. Dawkins counted as a locally trained player for Spurs, one of eight that they need to register. Bentaleb, though he has been at the club long enough to qualify as an under-21 player, has not been in England long enough to qualify as a locally trained player.

It's a bit tricky if you don't know the rules exactly, but there's nothing to be concerned about. Bentaleb is eligible to play in the Europa League, along with all of the registered players. You can find a full (now slightly outdated) list here.

Here's the squad.... decent Europa info sheet too.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2014/clubs/club=1652/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Now that we are into the knockout stages and the potential of Benfica up next, I am looking forward to this. Hoping we can take a lead going into home leg. Have to love European nights at the lane. COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

We should try and win it, but if we don't get 4th, everyone will say it's because of the Europa League games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

It really only gets the slightest bit interesting when you hit the knockouts. I'd Love to make a decent crack at it. I reckon most people would be happy with 5th and a trophy.

ziedth wrote: »
    It really only gets the slightest bit interesting when you hit the knockouts. I'd Love to make a decent crack at it. I reckon most people would be happy with 5th and a trophy.

We could have a good crack at it, still not win it and maybe finish outside the top four by a point or two because of it.

Keeping top players and getting other top players is partially dependent on getting into Champions League.

• Advertisement

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    We could have a good crack at it, still not win it and maybe finish outside the top four by a point or two because of it.

Keeping top players and getting other top players is partially dependent on getting into Champions League.

We surely have enough depth to challenge for both? Play the youth and reserve players to keep them happy and to try and perform to get in the first team. Fellas like naughton, siggy, Chadli, kane and soldado should be chomping at the bit to perform and get in the first team

Advertisement