Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As a Liverpool supporter I was watching for Konoplyanka as LFC might go back for him in the summer but it turned into a Spurs defence watching exercise, you have no shape or structure. Here's hoping that does not change!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

tippspur wrote: »
    could have been worse,the best team won but we're still in with a chance of progressing.

After watching that defensive display I fear for our chances for 4th and obviously in this comp if we met a real good team like Juve or Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭White Heart Loon

The English players Daws, Rose and Townsend are liabilities but the media won;t say a word against them

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

The English players Daws, Rose and Townsend are liabilities but the media won;t say a word against them

And friend from London is over and he was sayi g that spurs fans from london cant believe the hype they get. Townsend is rubbish, you can see the rest of the squad hate playing with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Looked all over the place at the back, every time they attacked, they looked like scoring. Fair play to Brad, great performance. Definite peno for me.
    Will need to play well at the lane to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Brad was our MOTM tonight for def, fair dues to him.Paulinho had a very good 2nd half.I thought Soldado done fairly well apart from the awful miss,he was putting himself about a bit and laying off a few nice balls.(some won't agree)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Brad was our MOTM tonight for def, fair dues to him.Paulinho had a very good 2nd half.I thought Soldado done fairly well apart from the awful miss,he was putting himself about a bit and laying off a few nice balls.(some won't agree)

I think Soldado did give a few nice balls including a beauty to Rose I think in the first half.... Christ but that miss was horiffic... Switched match off just after he missed, had lost all interest at that stage. 1 nil down for the home tie will be interesting but id be hopefull we can progress.

Glebee wrote: »
    I think Soldado did give a few nice balls including a beauty to Rose I think in the first half.... Christ but that miss was horiffic... Switched match off just after he missed, had lost all interest at that stage. 1 nil down for the home tie will be interesting but id be hopefull we can progress.

You switched off ? What's that all about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I too am sceptical about Townsend's progression but for a winger who likes to run with the ball that surface was a nightmare. Missing the ore direct running of Lennon.

Andros was crying into the palms of his hands when he came off so I'm guessing he's playing with an injury and he knows he has lost his chance of making the WC squad.

We should beat these lads at home, backing Soldado to score more than one, you heard it here first;)

Hatch99 wrote: »
    You switched off ? What's that all about ?
    I know, I know, kids giving me grief to watch cartoons and then the Soldado miss topped it all off.

• Advertisement

I know, I know, kids giving me grief to watch cartoons and then the Soldado miss topped it all off.

i know the feeling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

I too am sceptical about Townsend's progression but for a winger who likes to run with the ball that surface was a nightmare. Missing the ore direct running of Lennon.

Andros was crying into the palms of his hands when he came off so I'm guessing he's playing with an injury and he knows he has lost his chance of making the WC squad.

We should beat these lads at home, backing Soldado to score more than one, you heard it here first;)

I get jokes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Townsend just doesn't get it, someone should just make a mix tape of his highlights, grab popcorn and laugh. He scored one cracker for England and seems hell bent on replicating it. It's getting embarrassing at this stage?

The realization probably hit him last night, unless he forks out for a plane ticket for Brazil, then he'll be watching it at home like the rest of us. Unless an experienced coach can work with him, (Ginola talked a lot of sense a few weeks) then he'd be better off with the likes of QPR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

The problem with Townsend is he has great speed .. but he thinks he is half brazilian .. runs fast with the ball and keeps his head down and if he thinks he's near the goal will try a shot from 30 yards out that ends up about 20 feet high and the same wide.

Lennon may not always have great end product but there is a lot more to his game than just running at speed.

Brad was by far our best player yesterday and i do worry about the lack of pace in the middle of our defence when both Daws and Verts plays .. as was shown for yesterdays penalty.

Dnipro are an average side and we should have no trouble disposing of them next week ... I think Benfica will be much tougher opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Missing the ore direct running of Lennon.

Lennon has been missing all season.

I'm happy we got out of there without any injuries. As poor as we were, that match could have ended 3-3.

A terrible pitch is one of the worst levellers in football. It makes two teams of differing quality look very similar - poor.

If we take the second leg 20% more seriously, then we should win 2 or 3-0 at home next week.

Capoue distribution was shocking from centre midfield. I am comparing him to Tony Kroos, but still there was a number of times he could have gone short instead of cross field passes which he doesn't have in his locker.

As the Liverpool fan said, the defence looked shocking. But that has been the way we've looked in every match since Sherwood took over, yet we seem to be getting away with it and picking up points.

I'm happy we got out of there without any injuries. As poor as we were, that match could have ended 3-3.

A terrible pitch is one of the worst levellers in football. It makes two teams of differing quality look very similar - poor.

If we take the second leg 20% more seriously, then we should win 2 or 3-0 at home next week.

Capoue distribution was shocking from centre midfield. I am comparing him to Tony Kroos, but still there was a number of times he could have gone short instead of cross field passes which he doesn't have in his locker.

As the Liverpool fan said, the defence looked shocking. But that has been the way we've looked in every match since Sherwood took over, yet we seem to be getting away with it and picking up points.

Wha? I seem to recall it being the same under our previous manager, it was a shambles last night, but it's been like that all season.

Soldado takes to twitter to tell fans he is working hard for his form to change, to be fair he played some great passes last night but bobble or not that miss was a sitter! “Thank you very much for the encouragement sms.I am sure with my blocked time, we would have won the game.I know people expect a lot from me,and I still have not seen,work for it and get it.All the best for people Ukraine.”

As much as I really want to see Soldado do well I dont see a bobble there.
    It just not going his way at the moment. Just bad luck I guess as he done well to get into the right position for the cross. Hope his luck changes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

He made a great flick for Eriksen to run onto. Then followed it with a great run into the box and got the ball back from Eriksen and was unlucky with his shot.

I condemn him for being terrible but have to stand up to when he does come up with some brilliance and that really was brilliant. Would have deserved a goal.

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Wha? I seem to recall it being the same under our previous manager, it was a shambles last night, but it's been like that all season.

Are you serious?? Bar the Liverpool and City games, AVB's Spurs had the best defence in the league.

As a result of AVB's tactics and structure being so defensively rigid, he lost his job and we scored so few goals.

I've said it since day one under Shewrood, the gaps between the defensive lines is scary!

Are you serious?? Bar the Liverpool and City games, AVB's Spurs had the best defence in the league.

As a result of AVB's tactics and structure being so defensively rigid, he lost his job and we scored so few goals.

I've said it since day one under Shewrood, the gaps between the defensive lines is scary!

Very much so, there's been big gaping holes the size of Jordan. Down to Lloris, not the defense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

As much as I really want to see Soldado do well I dont see a bobble there.
    It just not going his way at the moment. Just bad luck I guess as he done well to get into the right position for the cross. Hope his luck changes

Im not defending the guy at all but the open goal took a huge bobble onto his shin and then onto the post and out for goal kick:( he did well to find space imo

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭tomo75

In Fairness, considering just how bad we played & the state of the pitch - I'm happy we lost just by 1 goal. I'm positive for 2 reasons: kick up the behind going into Sunday's game which is more important and it will focus the minds for next Thursday. It will be 3:0 by half time;/)

I didn't see any bobble in that video either,just a **** attempt on an open goal that came off his shin,I remember him having another chance like that at the far post in a previous game that came off his shin also.he did well apart from that miss though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

I didn't see any bobble in that video either,just a **** attempt on an open goal that came off his shin,I remember him having another chance like that at the far post in a previous game that came off his shin also.he did well apart from that miss though

I seen plenty of replays on TV and it may have been a bobble or the cross may even have taken a nick from the defender or goalie too as it went between them both..

in the last few seconds (12ish) of that clip from the 2nd camera angle, which Ive seen in higher quality, the ball clearly takes a nasty bobble or deflection onto his shin..

Such an easy chance he should have the experience to assume its going to take a bobble on such a sh1tty pitch:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeh everytime I see it I've seen a bobble from either the ground, goalkeeper or defender. It definitely changes direction from a natural bounce.

Screen+Shot+2014-02-24+at+10.19.02.png

9 of the last 10 defeats coming after the Europa League matches - is an insane stat!!

• Advertisement

I suppose we might as well give this cup a good go now seeing that 4th is as good as gone,nothing else left.

Advertisement