Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If we get through we play Benfica, three days later we would play arsenal. Not much rest time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    If we get through we play Benfica, three days later we would play arsenal. Not much rest time.

If the players cant get motivated for that sort of challenge we are at nothing anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Well, I'm Spurs fan since 1981 just looking at the results after Thursday Europa League this season

played 9 won 3 drew 1 lost 5 =10 points

without thursday hangover

played 18 won 12 drew 4 lost 2 =40 points

Extrapolating and it just happens the maths lines up

One is relegation form ie 30 points after 27 games
    the other is Title challenge form ie 60 points after 27 games

Even the 3 wins after Europa League were fortunate enough
    Hull(h) Swan(h) Card(a) and the draw was Man U which is not as good a result as it may have been portrayed at the time. Also the pool(h) disaster is a Thursday hangover as well

Any season we've been in the Europa league our best form has been when the thing is on the winter break

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Defoe out injured so it seems he has played his last game for us. Will be saying goodbye on the pitch at half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Spurs -1 @ 13/8.
    Spurs -2 @ 9/2.....*NAP* ;)
    Cant see us not winning this..no excuses.
    IF we do lose.....SHERWOOD OUT ASAP..And get Mickey Laudrup in for the remainder of the season!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ingo1984

If soldado does not start this game then i will give up hope. This is the perfect game to hopefully get a goal against inferior opposition and hopefully get some confidence back as he is clearly short of it at the moment!!

• Advertisement

He just has to bag one tonight, thus remembering the feeling of scoring. It's not like the crowd have been on his back which he must appreciate. Their willing him to succeed. I firmly believe he could go on a run till the end of the season. Please don't play with inverted wingers tonight either.

oh god not inverted wingers!! playing with inverted wingers only works if you have two very good attacking full backs, so when the wingers come in field it creates alot of space for the full backs to come forward. unfortunately our full backs are not very good attacking in that they can rarely clear the first man with their crosses.

i would like to see soldado and ade up top, then a midfield four of dembele, eriksen, lennon and possibly chadli/townsend. i think eriksen has to start and am dumbfounded as to why he has been left out recently. i acknowledge that he doesnt offer much in work rate or defensively but he is our most creative midfielder going forward.

Ya, two up top. They've barely played together as is. Eriksen being left out is just plain barmy. One of the few creative players we have. About time the crowd had something to cheer about at home.

We really should be hockeying this bunch tonight, once we don't have a meltdown at the back. Vertonghen's been a moody fecker of late, lead by example instead of whinging.

I really dont understand how eriksen can be left out, most creative player and best in the squad for set pieces (corners and free kicks).

Verts is getting a bit moody but i feel it is fully justified. He's carrying dawson through most games, and also there is a lack of urgency from our midfield trio of dembele/paulinho/bentaleb to show for the ball when our centre backs are in possession which normally results in us getting caught in possession or dawson attempting a beckhamesque 50 yard cross field pass which more often than not ends up in the 10th row of the stand.

I lost count of the moonraker type balls Dawson attempted. Bentaleb should be benched for the next few games, he's been run into the ground. I'd like to see Sandro in for him tonight.

there are alot of frustating things that happen when watching spurs but i have to put dawsons inability to pass the ball further than 15 yards and his persistance to keep trying despite failing numerous times as one of the worst! it normally happens aswell within the first five minutes of games.

bentaleb needs to be dropped from the squad, he has shown he has talent but is still raw. i would have him hit the gym and try to develop physically, get a decent pre season under his belt then see how he gets on next season.

with sandro only back in full training this week i would be surprised to see him start tonight. i can see him getting a run out for 30 mins once the tie is over (fingers crossed) and then look to have him start on sunday against cardiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

After seeing our fixtures for March, I have given up hope of a top 4 finish, therefore I want us to win the Europa League, it is a trophy and at the end of the day it will be one more than Arsenal have win in the past 9 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its the old chestnut, win the Europa League or a top four finish.
    Id defo take Europa League over a top four.(Even at start of the season):P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

I tend to agree that our top 4 chances are very very slim and therefore would love us to go all out to win this cup, granted that too will be difficult with the likes of Benfica, Napoli and Juve in it aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Soldado to score two goals or more @ 7/1, you heard it here first!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Soldado to score two goals or more @ 7/1, you heard it here first!;)

I have it backed since 4pm. It's nailed on!

I'm hoping my jinx counters your jinx..... Superstitions, eh? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

I think Soldado has actually played well in the little time he has had recently. His link up play is very good. Really good first touch. He just needs to bag a few

Swansea looking comfortable in Naples.

Two up front awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

Team:

Lloris
    Naughton / Dawson / Verthonghen / Fryers
    Sandro / Dembele
    Townsend / Ade/ Eriksen
    Soldado

Bench

Friedel, Veljkovic, Bentaleb, Chadli, Lennon, Paulinho, Kane

Delighted to see Sandro, Soldado, Eriksen and Townsend start...

We will get goals with Eriksen, Ade and Soldado on the same team

Our best run early this year was with Eriksen opening the door with his touch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Attack attack attack attack COYS!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Best of luck tonight Spurs

• Advertisement

Townsend playing unselfish, refreshing to see. Eriksen to open these up.

Advertisement