Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

irishmover wrote: »
    Or Eriksen not on the left or right at all. He's for me supposed to be the VDV replacement.

I agree, Eriksen off Adebayor just like VDV played off Crouch. WE should play with two out and out wingers, although we are short in those positions. I would love if we signed the Dnipro number 10 in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

KingdomYid wrote: »
    I agree, Eriksen off Adebayor just like VDV played off Crouch. WE should play with two out and out wingers, although we are short in those positions. I would love if we signed the Dnipro number 10 in the summer.

I think that's where Lamela was supposed to come in. Either on the left or the right..

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭oppiuy

We can't play Eriksen on the left and Townsend on the right in future, it narrows the pitch and nobody gets to the byline.

Either it's Eriksen on the right and Townsend on the left or Eriksen on the left and Lennon on the right.

I wouldnt play Townsend at all. He really bad and selfisg to boot. How he is in the england squad ahead of Lennon baffles me. I think for the rest of the season it has to be 2 up top and we really have to go for it. Id much rather some excitement and miss out that plod ourway to 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

oppiuy wrote: »
    I wouldnt play Townsend at all. He really bad and selfisg to boot. How he is in the england squad ahead of Lennon baffles me. I think for the rest of the season it has to be 2 up top and we really have to go for it. Id much rather some excitement and miss out that plod ourway to 5th

Now your talking!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fully agree, not mad on the 2 up top all the time, you need to be flexible, I'd certainly go 2 up top at home. 2 wingers, eriksen in behind one of the strikers like when we played swansea away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭slegs

oppiuy wrote: »

Neither Lennon nor Townsend deserve to be in the England squad. At least Townsend is still inexperienced at this level and may still develop. Lennon while still young at nearly 27 is around for an age and hasn't really developed on his weaknesses in crossing and passing. I don't see him improving at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

slegs wrote: »
    Neither Lennon nor Townsend deserve to be in the England squad. At least Townsend is still inexperienced at this level and may still develop. Lennon while still young at nearly 27 is around for an age and hasn't really developed on his weaknesses in crossing and passing. I don't see him improving at this stage.

I think his crossing has improved an awful lot since his early days. He doesn't whip in delicious balls and never will, but I can't remember the last time I saw him balloon one either, and he usually clears the first man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

OK so next up in the Europa League is Benfica. Should be an interesting challenge. I see there miles ahead in the Portugese League but Im sure that sa in the Premiership its 4-5 teams have a chance each year. What are our chances; Will Tims chat to the press after the Chelsea match spur the players on???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Glebee wrote: »
    OK so next up in the Europa League is Benfica. Should be an interesting challenge. I see there miles ahead in the Portugese League but Im sure that sa in the Premiership its 4-5 teams have a chance each year. What are our chances; Will Tims chat to the press after the Chelsea match spur the players on???

Tough couple of games, get through this and you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Tough couple of games, get through this and you never know.

Lets get revenge for the wy they robbed us of our one shot at winning the big jug back in the day.

• Advertisement

For the really optimistic ones out there, here is the link for the ticket lottery for Europa League final.

http://https://ticketing.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/default.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Tottenham will be without captain Michael Dawson for Thursday's last-16 Europa League clash with Benfica at White Hart Lane.

Defender Dawson suffered a hamstring injury in Sunday's 4-0 defeat at Chelsea and will definitely miss the first leg of the Europa League tie, as well as this weekend's north London derby against Arsenal.

Christian Eriksen (back) and Danny Rose (knee) could return while Mousa Dembele is in contention having been ruled out of the Chelsea game. Etienne Capoue (ankle), Erik Lamela and Vlad Chiriches (both back) all remain sidelined.

Provisional squad: Lloris, Friedel, Naughton, Walker, Kaboul, Vertonghen, Rose, Fryers, Sandro, Dembele, Bentaleb, Lennon, Eriksen, Chadli, Townsend, Sigurdsson, Paulinho, Adebayor, Soldado, Kane.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Lloris
    Walker
    Kaboul
    Vertongen
    Rose
    Lennon
    Paulinho
    Sandro
    Eriksen
    Adebayor
    Soldado

• Registered Users Posts: 9,713 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

That line-up would make too much sense, so expect TS to do something bizarre like player Fryers at CB or dembele on the left wing :(

Do we feel now that we cant afford to "rest " players for sundays games???
    Only a couple of weeks ago we were all picking teams with sunday in mind...
    personally i think we should go for it.

Hugo

Walker - Kabs - Jan - Rose.

Sandro

Lennon ---- Eriksen ---- Dembele

Ade
    Soldado.

Got to field the strongest squad available, need to win tonights game to stand any chance in the 2nd leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

need to win this by 2-0

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ill be very disappointed if he does not play his best team tonight. No fluting about and go for it. Tonight we will see what these players are made of. Benfica at home under lights. Men or mice.... I think mice:( Hope to fcuk im wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Glebee wrote: »
    Ill be very disappointed if he does not play his best team tonight. No fluting about and go for it. Tonight we will see what these players are made of. Benfica at home under lights. Men or mice.... I think mice:( Hope to fcuk im wrong.

I Think we will beat them and also beat arsenal on sunday

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »

I am in a positive mood today, come on you Lillywhites. A big European night under the lights at the Lane followed by the big one (which I am attending) on Sunday, this is why we support Spurs for games like these.

Off Harry Hotspur - Some info on Benfica...

The Portuguese currently top the Primeira League, with a 7 point advantage. They are in flying form domestically, unbeaten in their last 5 games; they have only conceded 13 goals (the lowest in the Primeira) and have a goal difference of +27 (the highest in the Primeira).

We face them this evening because they dropped out of the Champions League. But don’t let that phrase allow you to mistake them for “drop outs”, they collected 10 points in their group. Only losing out to Olympiacos FC (the mob that mauled Man Utd recently) on second place in that group, by way of goal difference.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Go for it 100% as far as i'm concerned now. We won't get 4th, so it would be pretty sweet to get to the final in Turin. Still some pretty big names in it though, so it'll be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

It's on UTV and 3E tonight.

From next year, the winners of the Europa League will go into The Champions League automatically.

A 1-0 win will do me tonight.

We’ve got to do well in this Cup; otherwise our season could be over.

Can’t see us crashing the top 4, unless one of them implodes.

COYS

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Soldado has to start tonight and Sunday....
    His overall play has been decent and he scored in his last game at home, big togetherness celebration too...
    Im going for Spurs to win 3-2.:eek:

Elsewhere,

Basel win 5/2
    Lyon Draw 12/5
    Porto Draw 23/10
    Ludogorets win 5/2.

Also, out of the 8 games tonight i reckon Both teams to score in them all.;)
    Choo Choooooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

mickman wrote: »

I'd love if you were right but I think it's either or.

Prove me wrong boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

After tims outburst Saturday.i expect to see a line up of who he feels are his characters.will be gutted if he doesn't start Sandro and dembele together.time for the lads to show some backbone and desire.we will either roll these over or by 2 or 3 or we will be beaten.Heres hoping for the former.COYS!!

Team: Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vert, Naughton, Lennon, Sandro, Paulinho, Eriksen, Ade & Kane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Team: Lloris, Walker, Kaboul, Vert, Naughton, Lennon, Sandro, Paulinho, Eriksen, Ade & Kane.

Good selection except Kane before soldado, wtf ,that's the end of soldado at spurs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

hugo29 wrote: »
    Good selection except Kane before soldado, wtf ,that's the end of soldado at spurs

Agree completely, can't see the logic in that. Also is Walker injured? Naughton is so limited even at RB

Advertisement