Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread 2014/2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Sandro ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Why didn't we show some fight at The Lane? Could of beaten these and progressed.

Robbed of a penno for def.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Jason 5pu45

We were so lacklustre for 70 mins.the last 20 mins was the best we've played since I dunno when

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Fair play, just goes to show we are not complete sh1te.

• Advertisement

Chadli a player I detested is growing on me, deserves a starting place come Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

It's been said a million times but what is the point of Bentaleb. He must have blackmail material on TS! He was at fault for the penalty, gave the ball away and did so all game. I just don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Comical

awkwardboy wrote: »
    It's been said a million times but what is the point of Bentaleb. He must have blackmail material on TS! He was at fault for the penalty, gave the ball away and did so all game. I just don't get it.
    I'd have to agree with you there,he's been praised for his performance tonight on other Spurs forums but I just didn't see it in the game,gave loads of ball away I thought.

Totally disagree regarding Bentaleb, thought he had a good game. Not saying he should start every game, but for a 19 year old he ain't bad. It's his first season, and he's only played a handful of games.

What did Lennon, Townsend or Sigurdsson do? What do they ever contribute? Paulinho & Dembele don't exactly control games for senior pro's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭awkwardboy

I agree, for a 19 year old he has done very well but he really should be developing as a good player while out on loan at a smaller Premiership team, in my view. The likes of Paulinho, who while they haven't exactly been setting the world on fire, do have proven ability on the international stage and I think they should be in ahead of him, especially in big cup ties like tonight. That said, hopefully the Europa experience this year will have been of some benefit to the younger players such as Fryers. I'm clutching at straws here I think but maybe that will benefit us next season. Something positive has to come out this season, anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

What did I miss?

irishmover wrote: »
    What did I miss?

Ah so you did miss it? Game came alive when we scored, should of went on to win. Four losses on the bounce would have been terrible for morale. Sherwood sat up in the stands, best place for him.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Ah so you did miss it? Game came alive when we scored, should of went on to win. Four losses on the bounce would have been terrible for morale. Sherwood sat up in the stands, best place for him.

Yeh I woke up when first goal went in. App buzzed me. Laughed a little and turned phone on silent and went back asleep. Then woke up 6am after it was over to see Chadli scored two in two minutes.

So with the ****e we had on the pitch they should have went through? Guess I did miss a lot then. Thought after the first goal by Benfica it was gonna be like everyone said.

Who was ****e and who wasn't?

Yeh I woke up when first goal went in. App buzzed me. Laughed a little and turned phone on silent and went back asleep. Then woke up 6am after it was over to see Chadli scored two in two minutes.

So with the ****e we had on the pitch they should have went through? Guess I did miss a lot then. Thought after the first goal by Benfica it was gonna be like everyone said.

We had a clear cut penalty to make it 3-1, wasn't given. Benfica were awarded a penalty soon after. They were rattled, it was a spirited performance.

I'd rather not say who was good/bad. Chadli is improving, if we were stuck you could play him as a striker. He want's to play in the middle as does Eriksen, neither are wingers.

It's not all doom and gloom just yet.

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    We had a clear cut penalty to make it 3-1, wasn't given. Benfica were awarded a penalty soon after. They were rattled, it was a spirited performance.

I'd rather not say who was good/bad. Chadli is improving, if we were stuck you could play him as a striker. He want's to play in the middle as does Eriksen, neither are wingers.

It's not all doom and gloom just yet.

Soldado got a start, did he play well? Might aswell play him every game until end of season. Atleast that way we can fully say if he's worth another season or not.

Must try and find some sort of highlights online. Why was Sherwood in the stands? That whole Jorge Jesus thing is a load of ****e. Did they even know each other before the first leg?

How did Sandro and Fryers do at CB?

Soldado got a start, did he play well? Might aswell play him every game until end of season. Atleast that way we can fully say if he's worth another season or not.

Must try and find some sort of highlights online. Why was Sherwood in the stands? That whole Jorge Jesus thing is a load of ****e. Did they even know each other before the first leg?

How did Sandro and Fryers do at CB?

Eh Soldado didn't really get any service, Lennon & Townsend may as well of stayed at home.

I presume Sherwood was in the stands because of this reason. The players were probably more relaxed, he's a hot head. No, don't think either manager knew each other.

Sandro and Fyrers did okay, Benfica were constantly playing long balls over the top. I really don't remember Friedel (43 in May) being called into action too much?

Cheers mate. Forgot how old Friedel is.

Little bit of luck and good officiating would have went through... Shame.

Cheers mate. Forgot how old Friedel is.

Little bit of luck and good officiating would have went through... Shame.

No worries, should be able to source highlights.

We should have won it 2-1! We conceded the penalty when we were throwing caution to the wind looking for that magical third. I mention this because if you had taken advantage of the very tasty odds given by the bookies for us to win you'd be absolutely gutted to lose it with the last kick of the game. Sigh. :(

My Tottenham always seem to end up hurting me....it's an abusive relationship. Why do I keep going back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The match was played like a friendly. Benfica weren't too bothered and rested a load of players too. There isn't much to be learned from it at all.

Fryers and Sandro didn't have too much to do because Benfica played with just Cordozo up front and he can't really move any more. Rodrigo and Lima are their threats and they were both on the bench.

One step to the season being over.

One step to a new manager and a new season and the return of hope in to my life!

COYS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

Some positives to take from it. Chadli is looking like being a very decent option. Eriksen played well when he came on and needs to play centrally every game from now on. Fryers did OK, will be a good reserve with a few more games under his belt. Bentaleb did well but needs to go on loan for a season, he'll be a better player for it.

The negatives. We need to cash in on Siggy, Lennon and Townsend in the summer, were very poor and have done nothing all season. We have no wingers who can break the line and get a ball in. I'd play Lamela (when fit) as often as we can from now on. I'd even try Soldado on the wing before them, he's not scoring goals but his workrate is high

The match was a comedy show

We started to play for 15 mins before the end when benefica thought they were home and dry - benefica had plenty of gears left in them if they needed them.

Soldado was rubbish - got a few chances and fluffed his lines completely every time. Kane did more in 5 mins that soldado did in 70

Sherwood then heads for the dressing room before the final whistle went, the whole thing was a joke

And i wouldnt call our penalty clear cut - he might have been fouled but kane threw himself to the floor and made it look like a dive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭golfball37

Two unforced errors were crucial when we had them seriously rattled.

Naughton turning back on his right foot when he was in the box at 2-1 and Danny Rose's inability to control a ball with nobody around him and when he was in acres.

We would have won through had it gone to ET as another goal would have meant them needed two.

Good effort at the end but we are still are none the wiser.

I don't get the Bentalab hate tbh, some of the passes he played were of the highest quality, the through ball to Lennon who squared it without looking was Luka-esque.

Bentaleb did ok last night, one of the half decent performances

Its a comedy lads, we got to Portugal chasing the game and our most attacking player (eriksen) is left on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I always like this site's marks out of ten. Not always accurate but good for the sake of discussion:

http://tottenhamlive.com/review/1162-benfica-2-2-tottenham-player-ratings.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Ormus wrote: »
    I always like this site's marks out of ten. Not always accurate but good for the sake of discussion:

http://tottenhamlive.com/review/1162-benfica-2-2-tottenham-player-ratings.html

That's pretty good. At least they're seeing what we're seeing.
    Aaron Lennon – 4 – Same story week in, week out. Never an influence on the game going forward; only had 29 touches (less than Friedel) and only had 1 successful dribble. Poor!

Andros Townsend – 5 – Similar to Lennon; doesn’t influence the game as much as he is required to going forward. 1 successful dribble all game and rarely a threat to our opposition backline.

Yeh I have them liked on Facebook. Normally get a quick read of it when I get up the next day after a game. Normally some good discussions but don't really interact on that site.

• Advertisement

That's farily accurate, but Sigurdsson a seven? He was awful, and deserves a four.

Advertisement