Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scotch grass

• 09-08-2013 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

looking for an easy way to sort out my lawn, ive loads of scotch grass in my lawn followed by buttercups and a few docking, sprayed it with mortex 50 and it killed off the buttercups but i see the scotch is growing lovely a good 2"/ 3" above everything else, so whats my options??

1. can i get a selective killer to kill scotch grass

2 or can i spray the garden with round up, this should kill everything right????
    but then CAN I JUST RESEED, or do i have to cultivate the soil and rake it all over again when everythings dead..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

bazmc35 wrote: »
    looking for an easy way to sort out my lawn, ive loads of scotch grass in my lawn followed by buttercups and a few docking, sprayed it with mortex 50 and it killed off the buttercups but i see the scotch is growing lovely a good 2"/ 3" above everything else, so whats my options??

1. can i get a selective killer to kill scotch grass

2 or can i spray the garden with round up, this should kill everything right????
    but then CAN I JUST RESEED, or do i have to cultivate the soil and rake it all over again when everythings dead..
    Just so we don't upset our Caledonian cousins, it is not scotch grass but scutch or couch grass. There are currently no selective weedkillers which will control it so in reality the only solution is glyphosate. You could try it in gel form (Roundup) on individual plants but probably the best way is to spray it all over and reseed. Forking over and raking it will probably be sufficient but give it a few weeks to make sure everything is killed off, September/October is a good time to sow a lawn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Buttercups are a sign of poor PH level - In the farming world, you'd put lime on fields with buttercups. So you could put it on your garden. A bag of granlime from a farmer's co-op costs about a tenner. You could also feed the grass on your lime with some lawn fertilizer or farmer's fertilizer - 10-10-20 would be the type you need and a 50 kg bag in about 25 euro and it will help the good grass to grow, which will in turn smother out the scutch and you will notice a mojor improvement in your lawn!!

Selective treatment for the docks will do the trick. Make up a roundup solution and just brush it onto the docks with a paint brush or a paint roller!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bazmc35

That's interesting about the ph levels... Any set time of the year for putting out lime?? Instead of 10 10 20 I put out 7 6 17s which didn't really do anything so I put out that 4in 1 evergreen fertiliser which I have 2say made it lovely and green but still you can notice d scutch grass towering above the other grass..

Advertisement