Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre Season Meander

• 09-08-2013 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭

So with the new season just around the corner, lets get your opinions on how you think the new season will go. There has been a major reshuffle since the end of last season, with the likes of Sir Alex calling it a day. It's very hard predict how the new season will go, with there being four or five genuine contenders. Here's my thoughts on how the new season will go for each team:

Arsenal: It's been a frustrating window for Wenger and Co. Links to Rooney, Higuain, Suarez etc all seem to have dried up for now. Still no players of the required quality added to the squad. One would imagine this will be addressed before the window closes. A player of Suarez's quality could transform Arsenal from a top 4 team to genuine title contenders. As per every year, everyone doubts whether Wenger can guide them back to the top 4, but with his record of qualifying every year for the last fifteen, I would not bet against him.
    Predicition: Top 4

Aston Villa: Holding onto Benteke will be key for Villa. Lambert has added a few players that would not be well known to the PL. I would expect Villa to be more consistent than last season now that Lambert has imposed his mark on the team. The team could still do with one or two more additions. Villa also have quite a tough start to the season, facing Arseanal, Chelsea and Liverpool in the first three games. I would imagine they will be stuttering in a basement position after those three games.
    Prediction: Bottom 10 finish

Cardiff City: It will be a big ask for Malkey Mackay to keep Cardiff up. He has spent a considerable amount of money on Caulker and Cornelius. It's very hard to know if these additions will be enough to save them from the drop.
    Prediction: Relegation

Chelsea: With the return of the Special One, or as he is now called the Happy One, ignore Chelsea at your peril. With what was already a massively talented squad, he has added Shurrle and Van Ginkel. Lukaku has also returned which could be vital as this was a team that was crying out for a top centre forward. Mourinho is also chasing Rooney, but one would wonder if he would add a whole lot to already star studded squad. Perhaps the Special One is just trying turn up the heat on new boy Moyes?!
    Prediction: Title winners

Crystal Palace: Most will be delighted to see Holloway back in the PL. I always liked to see do well. Some may not be aware, but Holloway has three deaf children. This cannot be easy, and I have great admiration of his enthusiasm for the game considering he had quite a bit to deal with. On paper, Crystal Palace are definitely contenders for the drop. But, it's hard to know what to expect from Holloway's team. He almost survived the drop with Blackpool a few seasons ago and a similar effort is possible with Palace. Zaha will be a massive loss though and the fee received from the transfer has not been reinvested yet.

Everton: Like alot of other teams, Everton have a new manager. Roberto Martinez, the man who guided Wigan to the FA Cup last season. Martinez will no doubt want instill his own style on the team and could opt for his favourite 3-4-3 formation. For this reason, I think it will be hard to replicate last season's sixth place finish. It will take time for the team to adapt to the new system and philosophy.
    Prediction: Top 10

Fulham: Really struggled towards the end of last season and ultimately were fortunate to survive the drop. Jol acted on this quickly and sent for reinforcements early in the window. However, he hasn't really added any players that can take them to the next level. Taraabt could be a good addition but he's hot and cold and not the kind of player you want to be relying on if your knocking about at the bottom of the table. Stekelenburg is a good addition.
    Prediction: Bottom 10

Hull City: Personally, I wouldn't have any great faith in Bruce to keep this team up. He lacks a bit of imagination, and this is apparent in the signings he made. It would be nice to see their Irish contingent have a good year in the PL.

Liverpool: A busy summer for Liverpool so far with four early additions but transfer activity has been frustrating so far. The whole Suarez saga hasn't helped but it now appears that John Henry will not be selling him. The signings so far look like good additions and I expect Aspas to hit the ground running with four goals already in preseason. Ultimately, the squad is probably two or three first team players short of a top four finish. It is hard to see all these gaps being filled before the season starts. I think the club as a whole is heading in the right direction, but will fall short of a top four finish once again.
    Prediction: Top 6

Man City: A new manager and four new quality players. I think City will put in more of a challenge but not sure if they will have enough to catch Jose's Chelsea.
    Prediction: 2nd

Man Utd.: I think this will be a very interesting season for Man Utd. I find it very hard to predict how they will do. I don't think United will win the title, and I think City may finish ahead of them. But I'm not sure how far they will fall beyond that. Is it beyond the realms of possibility that Spurs or Arsenal could overtake them?! The lacks of transfer activity will be disappointing so far and there isn't much indication that any major signings are on the way. It's a big season for Moyes and it will be most interesting to see how well he follow in Fergie's footsteps.
    Prediction: Top 4

Newcastle Utd.: Well after a few years of seemingly running the club quite well, Mike Ashley seems to have gone AWOL once again and appointed the one and only Joe Kinnear. The lack of signings is also a concern. It's hard to know how this will end up, it could all go horribly wrong and the wheels could fall off the cart again. A mid table finish would be a happy ending for Newcastle fans IMO.

Norwich: Chris Hughton has added some players to his squad which one wouldn't normally expect Norwich to be able to sign (VanWolfswinkel, Fer, Hooper). I think most are expecting Norwich to make a big move up the table after these additions but I'm not sure this will be the case. Good players doesn't always result in better results. Norwich played a very direct style last season and the new players like Van Wolfswinkely must be able to adopt to this.

Southampton: Southampton seem to have money to spend and with the additions of Lovrens and Wanyama, they now have a nice little team coming together. There was already a good group of players there who seem to buying into the new manager's philosophy and the new players should compliment the system well.

Stoke: It's an end of an era at Stoke with the departure of Tony Pulis and the introduction of Mark Hughes. It remains to be seen what kind of a 'philosophy' Hughes will adapt. Will he stick with the rugby model that has been so kind to Stoke or will he attempt to play football. I think Hughes is a decent manager when he isn't given money to spend and this seems to be the case at Stoke. He's simply a disaster with money as his spells with City and QPR demonstrate. However, he did reasonable jobs at Blackburn and Fulham where he was more stringent budgets. He should do okay at Stoke without setting the world alight.

Sunderland: I think Di Canio was the ideal candidate to get Sunderland out of the bit of bother last season but I'm not sure he's the kind of man you want in the long term. It's just so hard to know what he's going to do next. I would be surprised if he's still with the club this time next year. His signings this summer have been okay but hardly inspiring.

Swansea: An excellent season for Swansea last season with them winning the League Cup. The addition of Bony could be a major coup, it remains to be seen whether he can replicate his goalscoring record from Holland in the PL. Others have ruled the Eredivisie before and flopped upon arriving in England e.g. Kezman, Afonso Alves.

Tottenham Hotspurs: This is the season that Spurs have to make the break through and keeping Bale will be paramount to this. £100m is alot of money, but it's of alot more use if the team is in the CL. £100m is of little use right now, the candidate of players to take them to the next level are not readily available. If they keep Bale, and qualify for the CL, they are set up for years to come. AVB has already added quality to the squad with Soldado and Paulinho. The rumours also suggest that Capoue could be the next player in the door. Spurs are now within touching distance of their top 4 rivals.
    Prediction: Bale stays, top 4. Bale leaves, 5th.

West Brom: The loss of Lukaku will be a big blow to Steve Clarke's side and I'm not sure that Anelka will be good enough to fill that void. I don't expect West Brom to deviate too much from last season's performance.

West Ham: I think West Ham will be the surprise package this season and won't be far off making the Europa League places. Carroll, if fit, will be a massive player for them and his partnership with Nolan will cause problems for any defence. Big Sam has a template, which although it's not pretty on the eye, is most effective.
    Prediction: Top 8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Did you write this yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Did you write this yourself?

Yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I think we'll win the league at a canter and that's what the vast majority of us Liverpool fans think.

You just know some spack will reference this post somehow in a serious manner, whether it will be here in this place or elsewhere. Tis a given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I think we'll win the league at a canter and that's what the vast majority of us Liverpool fans think.

You just know some spack will reference this post somehow in a serious manner, whether it will be here in this place or elsewhere. Tis a given.

Great call Ade :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Wish I had seen this at the time as I would have contributed, though a lot of my predictions would have made me look like an idiot at this stage :pac:. Nice write-up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Never saw this either. Fair play on the write up, djPSB

Advertisement