Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Tips Or Advice For Son's First Airsoft Jaunt At Fingal Airsoft's Camp Next Week?

• 09-08-2013 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

He's all kitted out - uniform, face protection, weapons, batteries, gas, BBs, enthusiasm & excitement.

Any pointers or tips? Dos/don'ts?

Thanks,

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭airsofter232

Dont be afraid to get shot. i remember my first time i was scared because i read a lot of stuff on american forums of how sore the guns were and my friend who plays over in america didn't exactly help either :)
    i had no idea that the fps was different at the time. also just have fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭sharpy2010

Good sturdy boots, plenty of water, listen to the marshals, play fair and have fun. Same as a soccer camp really ;-) except instead of shooting balls he's shooting people :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭422nd

sharpy2010 wrote: »
    ...instead of shooting balls he's shooting people :D

And don't mix those two up. ;)

Don't feel pressured into playing at other peoples pace. Take it slow and think things through is always better than rushing in blindly. And there are some lads that'll take the hump if you don't follow their lead. Not many, mind you. But you get the odd one now and then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

ya also dont worry if your getting shot alot more than the others, the more you play the better youll be, and dont be afraid to ask the more experiences players for help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Never take his mask / eye protection off.
    If he is having a problem with it tell him to put his hand up, get help from a marshall, another player or go back to the safe zone, whichever is nearer.
    Fingal is a great site, hope he has a great day out.
    If he comes out with the grin on his face that my son had when he started over four years ago, it might not be too long before you give it a go yourself :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Mark#1

I doubt he'll sleep great tonight... ;)

Boots - check. He's wearing my old Trezeta Gore-Tex hikers (I don't remember being a size 9 at age 12...)

Water - check. My 1.5l water bladder fits nicely in the pouch on the back of his combat vest.

Pain from hits - check. We've already shot each other in the back from 18-20m, to get a feel for what he should expect.

Never remove eye/face protection - check. He's seen the scene from Starship Troopers where Rico checks the other guy's malfunctioning helmet in their first live-ammo training battle - I'm confident that drove the point home... I think we have his lower face mask fitting pretty well - I imagine he'll know after an hour's playing or so if it needs more bending or padding.

Jealous of him... :-)

Thanks all,

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

So did it all pan out :)

He's having a real blast. :)

I asked him when I collected him yesterday if it was as good as he'd been expecting/hoping, and he said it was "a million times better, dad!"

He took a hit bang smack in the middle of his forehead, and laughed as he was telling me about it. He was barely able to talk with the laughing when he was telling me about a guy who he'd paired off with trying to communicate quietly about their tactics, and taking a hit to the side of his neck and freaking out. :D He's a big Jackass fan, so I think the reactions to getting hit are particularly entertaining for him.

He's loving it. Fair play to Bren and all the guys there - this is a type of playing that my generation (I'm not to old at 45 ;) ) couldn't have imagined possible.

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

Fantastic that's great to hear :)
    At 24 I'd count myself young enough in this game and 45 ain't near the oldest I know playing. You should get going at it too ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭S.E.A.L.s

YbFocus wrote: »
    45 ain't near the oldest I know playing. You should get going at it too ;)

+1 :)

• Advertisement

Oh believe me, I have my lists drawn up, and would love to get into it - I have mates who'd live to give it a go too.

ASG ProLine CZ Scorpion EVO3 A1 (even if I didn't go airsofting, I'd love one of these just to have cos they look so damn awesome :cool: ) with Eotech 552 and 3x flip-to-side magnifier, and AFG front grip, and maybe a barrel extension to make it look a bit more like a rifle than an SMG.
    WE Sig P226
    Helikon polish woodland outfit
    Condor plate carrier
    Etc, etc... :rolleyes:

I also have two daughters (I have all three kids at weekends), so to go airsofting with my son for a day or even a half day at the weekend would mean not seeing the other two for that time (which I'm not willing to do), so for now, I'm happy to drop him to games on his own, and listen to him tell me how he got on. I'm happy to plink with his G36 & P226 in the back garden for now.

Loads more laughter from him this evening about the reactions he saw some guys take when hit. :D

Something that's really impressing me about the kids on the camp is that they all seem to be generous and considerate toward each other - letting each other swap guns for some games, giving each other goes of their guns, sharing batteries if needed, more experienced players freely sharing info & tips. All very encouraging and impressive.

He had an absolute blast for the whole week, even despite some downtime yesterday afternoon.

I'm sure he'll be missing it a lot till next time, but he can clean up his gear, get it all sorted and serviced, give his uniform a much-needed wash, and settle for some target practice in the garden for a while.

Big thanks to Bren and the guys at Fingal Airsoft - I got the impression that all the kids on the camp enjoyed the week as much as my son. :-)

Mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TheHamster

you could try taking the two girls airsofting as well. You may just find they like it and you can all get stuck in.

Mammy's not too keen on the girl's having any interest in guns... I suspect that there's an element of concern for their looks - marks/scars on a boy's/man's face is grand, but not a girl's. Both girls are actually decent enough shots with both the P226 & the G36C... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

With a full face mask, they should be OK.......get Mam to go with you as a family outing and let her see what happens.

Advertisement