Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording Security Lights

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking of installing a security light with built in recording camera to a house I have which is vacant for long periods.

I was looking at one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESP-GuardCam-Security-Camera-System/dp/B002YWZXX6

I don't like the fact that it states on the front it is a camera and nor do I like that the storage device is located within the body - so it can be nicked too - if noticed.

However, the more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if it would be better to add some internal cameras with sound recording and use them too.

I don't really know how I would set this up. Can they record to a cloud or must it be a physical storage device located in the property?

One thing that I have noticed is that from some of the devices I have seen the quality of output is very poor. I really don't see the point in these as it is totally useless if there definition is not clear. I've not heard any of the audio so I can't comment on the quality of that.

My suggested setup is external security light with built in camera (recording being captured where???). 1/2 internal cameras with built in microphones (recording being captured???).

I notice that some of the systems using SD cards such as the above link can require the card being reflashed. Knowing luck, the card will fail the night I need it so I'm not really sure I want to rely on them.

I don't have an alarm on the property at the minute, but I was wondering if there was some way I could like them in together? Question: Would criminals cut power to the property to deactivate the alarm - this would also knock out any security cameras and lights too...?

Do I need an alarm - I've read and heard from various people that they are not really a deterent.

What are my best options here?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Hi,

I was thinking of installing a security light with built in recording camera to a house I have which is vacant for long periods.

I was looking at one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ESP-GuardCam-Security-Camera-System/dp/B002YWZXX6

I don't like the fact that it states on the front it is a camera and nor do I like that the storage device is located within the body - so it can be nicked too - if noticed.

However, the more I've thought about it, the more I wonder if it would be better to add some internal cameras with sound recording and use them too.

I don't really know how I would set this up. Can they record to a cloud or must it be a physical storage device located in the property?

One thing that I have noticed is that from some of the devices I have seen the quality of output is very poor. I really don't see the point in these as it is totally useless if there definition is not clear. I've not heard any of the audio so I can't comment on the quality of that.

My suggested setup is external security light with built in camera (recording being captured where???). 1/2 internal cameras with built in microphones (recording being captured???).

I notice that some of the systems using SD cards such as the above link can require the card being reflashed. Knowing luck, the card will fail the night I need it so I'm not really sure I want to rely on them.

I don't have an alarm on the property at the minute, but I was wondering if there was some way I could like them in together? Question: Would criminals cut power to the property to deactivate the alarm - this would also knock out any security cameras and lights too...?

Do I need an alarm - I've read and heard from various people that they are not really a deterent.

What are my best options here?

Thanks.

Get gaurdcam put black electric tape over red light on side of unit so it's not obvious ... Don't put it too high ... As you will have poor quality vids ...
    Alarns are a deterrent. That's it.

Bottom line ... They wanna break in they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Start with an intruder alarm, then see how you feel about the necessity for lights and CCTV.

Alarms have back up batteries and are specifically designed (if specified and installed correctly) to detect and activate should an intruder enter your house.Regardless of whether the electricity is on or off.

With cameras all the guy has to do is put his hoody up and his head down.
    I would have to say out of the 3 you mentioned, the lights are probably the least detterent.

kub wrote: »
    Start with an intruder alarm, then see how you feel about the necessity for lights and CCTV.

Alarms have back up batteries and are specifically designed (if specified and installed correctly) to detect and activate should an intruder enter your house.Regardless of whether the electricity is on or off.

With cameras all the guy has to do is put his hoody up and his head down.
    I would have to say out of the 3 you mentioned, the lights are probably the least detterent.

Agree here except for light. It's a great deterrent ... If the area around the property is well lit up ... Doesn't suit burglar ... Check crime prevention advice in any cops website ... Alarm are blocked more often now with gsm blockers ... Be aware of that ! Tear your bell box off wall into bucket of water ! End of that ! Spend your money wisely !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Alarm are blocked more often now with gsm blockers ...

Just to clarify here, it is not the alarm that is blocked but rather the ability to dial the call centre or send the txt to a specified number that gets blocked.

Provided it is a wired alarm of course.

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    Just to clarify here, it is not the alarm that is blocked but rather the ability to dial the call centre or send the txt to a specified number that gets blocked.

Provided it is a wired alarm of course.

Correct and indeed will block any other mobile in the area !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Correct and indeed will block any other mobile in the area !

Most GSM blockers have a fairly small blocking radius.

Most GSM blockers have a fairly small blocking radius.

Sufficient to knock out mobiles within a visible distance .... Get a radio back up to monitoring station - alternative ....
    Expensive tho

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

They'd have to know you are using a gsm unit for them to block it .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,660 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have that actual GuardCam in the OP, and will hopefully be getting it installed in the next couple of weeks.

Will report back after. Appreciate that if someone wants to break in then they will, and this ain't going to stop them.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have that actual GuardCam in the OP, and will hopefully be getting it installed in the next couple of weeks.

Will report back after. Appreciate that if someone wants to break in then they will, and this ain't going to stop them.

Take time with height play around till its out way of hands but good enough to see pic ... Again a whack of a shovel same as a Sabb will end its usefulness !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Back again. Okay, we are going to install a security alarm - preferably one which is monitored.

Are there any recommended ones and can this be tied in with recording security cameras - both internal and external.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Look at the Siemens SPC4300 range. These let you connect some IP cameras. These can be recorded standalone and be viewed via the same app as the alarm..

KoolKid wrote: »
    Look at the Siemens SPC4300 range. These let you connect some IP cameras. These can be recorded standalone and be viewed via the same app as the alarm..

Are they expensive? I'm looking for an alarm system with a single exterior recording security light, single/dual interior discreet camera with call centre monitoring.

How much do they cost to service and are they user friendly - for a elderly peron who has been burgled.

Are these susceptable to the GSM blockers described above?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A lot to look into there.
    Your best bet would be to get out a few companies to do up a proper spec on what you need/want.
    There are numerous options available re cameras etc.
    The alarm is only susceptable to GSM jammers if you use a GSM dialler.
    There are other options available like Radio, PSTN ,Duel Com & IP.

How does the recording facility work on the cameras? I assume it only records if motion is detected whilst the alarm has been set.

Where does it record to? I'm trying to understand this response from you:
    These can be recorded standalone and be viewed via the same app as the alarm..

Is the sound recording any good with these devices?

So I don't get fleeced what are typical prices for a straighforward install for a system similar to what I am looking for? My understanding is that you can pay between £300 - £600* for a system fitted. £50 - £100 for servicing per annum and monitoring is between £60 and £190pa. Police response is £300+ pa.

* I am in Northern Ireland - hence GBP.

Would you recommend linkage to a Monitoring Centre or an automated dialler to a series of phone numbers?

The relative has been burgled twice and I want to do my best to ensure they feel as safe as I can make them. Hence, all help is appreciated.

Thanks for all replies so far.

I've spoken to my elderly relative again and it is obvious to me that she wants the security of an alarm system.

On all occassions access was achieved by the same location - which is shielded from view of nieghbours and from the road. My thinking (which may be incorrect or unfeasible) is the following:
    1. Exterior light with discrete recording camera - will not trigger alarm due to false detections. However, will record on a cyclic buffer upon detection of motion.
    2. PIR motion sensors in all rooms.
    3. Discrete camera with sound recording in the room where access will lead into.
    4. When alarm is activated, cameras will start streaming to a remote storage system - either a cloud via internet or similar. Reason being that alarm will only go off when they are in house so only option is to try an obtain clear images of the culprits.
    5. 2 zone alarm system - so that at night alarm can be activated and yet path to bathroom is free from triggering the system.
    6. Simple control panel for elderly person to operate.
    7. Either monitoring system or list of numbers to dial automatically when alarm is activated.
    8. Albility to access the cameras via remote computer/smartphone to determine if reason for alarm can be determined - i.e false alarm or need to contact police.
    9. Possibility of integrating fire/smoke alarm into system.

I appreciate that this is a big list. However, I've not had much use of alarms before - either usage, abilities or design and I would appreciate any feedback and if possible an indication of the feasibility and cost of the outlined system above.

Many thanks,

Hi, back again. i contacted a few security firms but none of them seem to want to deal with initial queries as none of them have replied.

Therfore, I'm back looking for some help. Ignoring my last reply, she wants go get an alarm system installed in the house. We have done all we can do to make the point of entry more secure so this really is the next logical step.

What type of setup would be possible and the norm for a bungalow where she wants a two zone system so that house can be alarmed at night and her bedroom and path to bathroom unaffected?

Any advice appreciated. Its coming into the dark nights now and I would like to get something put in place.

Thanks.

Any system would suit the full and part setting you require.
    Your best bet is to get a few companies out to take a look around and see what suits . If its a bungalow a wired system may be easy enough to install,or you may prefer the tidiness of wireless. Its also possible to have a combination of both using a hybrid system.

Thanks - do most people just opt for sensors or is recording features still an abnormal bolt-on? Secondly would most peoples systems just sound an alarm or dial out to a list of phone numbers?

My recommendation for an alarm is sensors and contacts on all ground floor and accessible points of entry. And then one or 2 PiR sensors internally.
    You can then set these on or off for your part sets.
    For monitoring you can have text or voice alerts for self monitoring or pay annually for Central Station monitoring with keyholder and Garda response where required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement