Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't download opera browser when tethering waste of time and download allowance

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I tried to download the opera browser with my phone tethered to my pc.
    At the moment I am tethering my phone to my pc.
    O2 only offer a poxy 700mb for 10 euros which isn't worth a damn and if you're tethering runs out very quickly using firefox.
    I was hoping I'd be able to download opera for my pc and use the turbo mode but when I'm trying to download opera for my pc the download cuts off half way through and I'm left with a corrupt file that when you try open it comes up with a stupid non 7z archive error.
    I wasted 26mb trying to download the damn thing.
    Screw opera for wasting my time and limited download allowance.
    Screw o2 for ripping everyone off.
    Other networks offer 1gb for a tenner which is still crap but isn't as bad.
    I'm just fed up with the whole crappy experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Download it to your phone untethered, then copy by USB to the computer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Personally I've found Opera and Opera Turbo mode to be a total waste of time (OSX).

Have a look at TescoMobile offers. I have unlimited texts, unlimited calls (some restrictions like premium rate numbers excluded)127 countries at 1c / minute and 15GB monthly data allowance (tethering allowed) for €35 / month. I got the same deal for the sister, sister-in-law who think all their Christmases have come together. That specific offer may be closed but there are other similar. That one was SIM only month to month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

Opera has turned into a glorified variant of Google Chrome. You can download version 12.16 (the last true version of Opera) here, it's only 12 MB and also supports turbo mode, but don't get your hopes for bandwidth savings too high. Consider switching to a provider with better deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I use 3 mobile, buy 20 euros credit ,get free net acess .no contract, prepay.
    Make sure theres a good 3g signal for 3mobile in your area.
    my sister has 3 but theres no signal at all for net browsing where she lives.
    she uses it at work ,or elsewhere for casual phone browsing.
    Some cable tv companys offer broadband too,no phone line needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

I'm on a 1 month contract sim only plan with 3

350 flexi units = (1 flexi unit = 2 texts/1 minute/500kb data)
    Free 3 to 3 calls
    Unlimited data
    €20 per month

I teather a good bit in Dublin where I get download speeds around 300-400KB/s
    Back home the signal isn't as good but I have wifi so doesn't matter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Unfortunately I've got no 3g in my area so was tethering in 2g. I think the best thing for me to do is keep tethering to a minimum. It's only a temporary thing anyway. Hope to be back to using landline broadband soon. Thanks all.

Advertisement