Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brodband issue before line install

Options
  • 09-08-2013 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hi,

I ordered a landline for our new house to be installed on the 31st July mainly for broadband use but went with a package as it was cheaper.
    The technician was out yesterday (8th) to install the line to the house and we had a problem linking the line(not his fault).
    However that is not my main issue. My issue is that he says I will be lucky to get 1MB speed through the line as I'm very far from the local town, 8KM approx.
    At home we are on the 3MB bundle and getting a solid 2.65MB all the time. I intend to use the broadband for online gaming and at that speed I know I'm only going to be left frustrated.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed or is it a case of been too far from the town and old copper cable carrying the line?

Regards

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi,

I ordered a landline for our new house to be installed on the 31st July mainly for broadband use but went with a package as it was cheaper.
    The technician was out yesterday (8th) to install the line to the house and we had a problem linking the line(not his fault).
    However that is not my main issue. My issue is that he says I will be lucky to get 1MB speed through the line as I'm very far from the local town, 8KM approx.
    At home we are on the 3MB bundle and getting a solid 2.65MB all the time. I intend to use the broadband for online gaming and at that speed I know I'm only going to be left frustrated.

Is there anything that can be done to improve the speed or is it a case of been too far from the town and old copper cable carrying the line?

Regards
    Hi BobLeeSwagger

If you would like to PM me your new line number or account number I'll look into this for you?

Thanks

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

That's if the line is suitable for broadband. Until the line is installed then it will take 2-4 days before it can be determined if the line is suitable for broadband although talk to the guy installing the line he can check this while he goes to the exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭BobLeeSwagger

The technician had checked from where he was going to take the line at the pole
    He knew it was the brodband I was after more so than the phone. He said I would be lucky to get 1MB download. I'm to far away from the nearest town and every KM matters in term of speed.

The technician was correct. 0.8 download and 0.1 upload and that is using the cable. Wireless is worse again. Ping is around 97. 

Two weeks since you said you'd look into this Alan. Any progress on it or is it just a case of cancelling the package?

The technician was correct. 0.8 download and 0.1 upload and that is using the cable. Wireless is worse again. Ping is around 97. 

Two weeks since you said you'd look into this Alan. Any progress on it or is it just a case of cancelling the package?
    Hi BobLeeSwagger

Apologies for the delay,

I looked into this and I can see that you are subscribed to a up to 1mb speed and this is as previously advised is due to the distance of your line to the exchange.

Operations have informed me that there is nothing that can be done to improve your download speeds unless the whole telephone exchange was moved closer to your line and this cannot be done.

I contacted technical support about the 0.8 download speeds and they have advised me that the 1mb service is provided on the terms of 'up to' 1mb and 0.8 is quite normal for the 'up to' 1mb service.

Thanks

Al

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply!
    I've just been ringing and not getting through to anyone at customer service and then been cut off??

I understand all of the speed are 'up to' and in this case it is only a 1MB service but can it not be upgraded to a 3MB service or 5MB service??

I might not gain much speed but limiting the bundle to 1MB surly wont help.

Thank you for your reply!
    I've just been ringing and not getting through to anyone at customer service and then been cut off??

I understand all of the speed are 'up to' and in this case it is only a 1MB service but can it not be upgraded to a 3MB service or 5MB service??

I might not gain much speed but limiting the bundle to 1MB surly wont help.

Hi BobLeeSwagger

The max the line can hold is up to 1mb and this is deffinately not possible to upgrade to 3mb. An upgrade to 3mb is not physically available. Even if it was possible to upgrade your speed doing this would result in complete loss of service as there would be too much demand on the line. 

Al

Ok so basically it's 0.8 download or nothing at all? Why can the line hold so little?

Thanks for the quick reply BTW!

Ok so basically it's 0.8 download or nothing at all? Why can the line hold so little?

Thanks for the quick reply BTW!
    Hi BobLeeSwagger

This is due to the distance of the line to the exchange. There is nothing that can be done to help this.

Thanks

Al

Ok. Thanks for your replies Alan!

Regards

• Advertisement

Ok. Thanks for your replies Alan!

Regards
    You are welcome BobLeeSwagger

I'm sorry there is nothing more I could do for you

Al