Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knocknacarra Community Centre

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭karen89

Sorry, LMAO, this is the Council we are talking about, and "Their" floor, would love to know what reaction you would get if you contacted them and asked if you could use the centre for a funeral LOL em, cant see that happening, and apart from that can you really imagine asking people to take their shoes off here, in Ireland, in Galway, to attend a funeral of a loved one lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Meetings. Funerals. Etc.

In some countries, it's considered incredibly rude to take shoes that have been dragged thru dog-sh*te etc outside, and then put them inside. Eck... germs and all.

I agree with the general idea. When feasible, and depending on circumstances, we ask people to leave their shoes in the hall when they're visiting us. Same applies when we're visiting friends in their houses.

In Islamic culture, for example, shoes are considered to be very unclean, which is why throwing a shoe at someone is considered to be a form of insult or protest.

There's enough dog-sh1te on Galway City footpaths to fully justify shoe-removal in public buildings as standard practice here, but the reality is that it is not part of our culture and is unlikely to become so in the near future. Can you see them doing it at the annual Novena? :)

Either the Dura-Sport surface can and will cope with the wearing of 'normal' shoes, as suggested earlier, or else another solution, such as a floor covering, will have to be found. Carpet might well be a simple and cost-effective method.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,463 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Looking forward to the official opening photos in the paper. Especially the obligatory one of His Lordship Padraig Conneely standing there in his bare feet and Mayoral chain pointing at the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Pointing with his big toe before putting his foot in his mouth?

BTW, good pic of PC on page 2 of City Tribune, 16th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Looking forward to the official opening photos in the paper. Especially the obligatory one of His Lordship Padraig Conneely standing there in his bare feet and Mayoral chain pointing at the floor.

is he not carried everywhere on his throne?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

karen89 wrote: »
    ... would love to know what reaction you would get if you contacted them and asked if you could use the centre for a funeral LOL em, cant see that happening, and apart from that can you really imagine asking people to take their shoes off here, in Ireland, in Galway, to attend a funeral of a loved one lol

As the number of people in Ireland with no religious affiliation grows, where exactly to you think that naming-ceremonies, funerals and the like will be held????

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

Anyone know what is going on there? Any regular classes, kids things etc? I googled it but could only find a Facebook page which seemed to be some sort of campaign group, not actually the center itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

I'm attending a lovely beginners Yoga class on a wednesday night at 8pm there. One week left of an 8 week programme and then shes starting over again I think.
    I think theres is also kids singing classes on a wednesday afternoon
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ready-Steady-Sing/405818646196609?id=405818646196609&sk=info

Advertisement