Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you change your birth cert to be re-issued as an irish birth cert?

• 09-08-2013 2:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21

Basically during another recession here my parents went to germany to work during the boom over there and I ended up being born there.
    In germany if you have no german relatives you have no right to anything german, grants, payments or even a passport. Both my parents are irish , so I have a irish passport.
    Problem is anytime I have to get anything official I have to bring my birth cert, the german cert doesn't look very real or official, and then I have to go through tons of crap to prove its authentic.
    can you get a birth cert re-issued as an irish one, even with birth place as germany, has anyone had any experience or any knowledge on this, much appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

No, the GRO will only issue an Irish* birth cert to someone who was actually born in the Republic of Ireland, I'm afraid.

*: By "Irish", I mean the Repbulic of Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Go to your local Irish Embassy and arrange for your birth to be entered on the foreign births register. See dfa.ie for further details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Marcusm wrote: »
    Go to your local Irish Embassy and arrange for your birth to be entered on the foreign births register. See dfa.ie for further details.

The Foreign Births Register only applies where:

1. a person is born outside of the island of Ireland, neither of the parents of the person in question were born on the island of island, but a grandparent of the person in question was born on the island of Ireland

OR

2. a person is born outside of the island of Ireland, and at least one of their parents had acquired Irish citizenship other than by birth in Ireland (e.g. via Naturalisation, post-nuptial citizenship, FBR, adoption, etc).

In this case, the OP was born outside of the island of Ireland to Irish-born parents, so FBR is not applicable. He/She is considered an Irish citizen on the basis of having been born abroad to an Irish-born parent.

Looking at the Civil Registration Act 2004, Section 26 would apply where the OP's parent(s) was/were domicilled in Ireland at the time of their birth, and no system of registration of births was in place in the place of the OP's birth (clearly not the case, as the OP's birth has been registered by the German state), or it is not possible to obtain copies or extracts of the civil records (again not the case, as the OP appears to have a certificate issued by the German State).

Section 27 also applies where certain conditions are met - such as the birth having taken place on a foreign or Irish registered ship travelling to or from a port, etc, or where one of the parent(s) was a member of the Defence Forces or Gardaí posted abroad at the time of the OP's birth.

So unless one of your parents was in the Gardaí/Defence Forces posted abroad at the time of your birth, it looks like it's not possible, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,492 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

The Foreign Births Register only applies where:

1. a person is born outside of the island of Ireland, neither of the parents of the person in question were born on the island of island, but a grandparent of the person in question was born on the island of Ireland

OR

2. a person is born outside of the island of Ireland, and at least one of their parents had acquired Irish citizenship other than by birth in Ireland (e.g. via Naturalisation, post-nuptial citizenship, FBR, adoption, etc).

In this case, the OP was born outside of the island of Ireland to Irish-born parents, so FBR is not applicable. He/She is considered an Irish citizen on the basis of having been born abroad to an Irish-born parent.

Looking at the Civil Registration Act 2004, Section 26 would apply where the OP's parent(s) was/were domicilled in Ireland at the time of their birth, and no system of registration of births was in place in the place of the OP's birth (clearly not the case, as the OP's birth has been registered by the German state), or it is not possible to obtain copies or extracts of the civil records (again not the case, as the OP appears to have a certificate issued by the German State).

Section 27 also applies where certain conditions are met - such as the birth having taken place on a foreign or Irish registered ship travelling to or from a port, etc, or where one of the parent(s) was a member of the Defence Forces or Gardaí posted abroad at the time of the OP's birth.

So unless one of your parents was in the Gardaí/Defence Forces posted abroad at the time of your birth, it looks like it's not possible, OP.

Didn't intend to mislead; each foreign born generation of my family has had to be included on the FBR to preserve the entitlement down the line. Perhaps it wasn't strictly necessary (?or correct) for the first generation overseas (to Irish born parents) but it was required by the consulate in New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21 Ikuto

Marcusm wrote: »

Im slightly confused, what exactly will this help with if I cant get a birth cert, sound for the help, appreciate it.

Advertisement