Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italia 90 or 2009 Grand Slam

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

keith16 wrote: »
    I wouldn't even say they are in the top 5. Top 2 in Munster certainly, but not Ireland.

But it need not be the case. AIL and Provincial set-up could be mutually beneficial to one-another but the powers that be won't make it happen.

Not so sure about that,especially with the acadamies,it's always been a case of people fighting over territory in the IRFU, believe me,a lot of politics being played behind the scenes.

The bigger AIL clubs will survive,but the smaller ones really feel the pinch.You wouldn't believe the amount of players that drop out due to a stupid system,whereby bigger clubs can bring in a player from a junior club,bind him with the club,even if he doesn't play with the first team(or seconds) he can't play with his old club.And the whole thing about being seen as a failure plays on these lads mind and end up quitting the game.

ps, I hate soccer now,but Stuttgart 88,ftw:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

matthew8 wrote: »
    Apart from Indonesia, Japan, China and Madagascar.

What sports are more dominant there? Japan has a massive baseball following but it co exists with large soccer interest. Their national team is one of the best in Asia. The Chinese league and national team are ****e but watching international tournaments and the premiership are hugely popular there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

I played senior rugby but 1990 was a defining moment for Irish sport. We deserved the grand slam mainly due to our world class outside centre but 1990 was our first world cup and we were only beaten by the hosts in quarter finals. Magic weeks. Magic memories.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

The country came to a standstill for the Ireland games during Italia 90' something that would and never will happen for Rugby games of any sort. It is a simple fact which might be a bitter truth pill for the D4 set to swallow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

What sports are more dominant there? Japan has a massive baseball following but it co exists with large soccer interest. Their national team is one of the best in Asia. The Chinese league and national team are ****e but watching international tournaments and the premiership are hugely popular there.

That's hardly dominating for decades like you said. In truth I have no idea what sports are most popular in these countries, and it's probably a mix, but if China and Indonesia were into football so much you would expect them to have a halfway decent national team, being absolutely massive countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Dostoevsky

PTH2009 wrote: »
    which was better ??

Neither. In football by a long, long shot the four Meath-Dublin games (3 replays) in the 1991 Leinster Championship. Extraordinary games. The pity was that one side had to lose. All heroes. The only thing for me which has come close to that in sport was hurling in the late 90s, especially the rise of Clare. Brilliant, brilliant memories.

Now, the new underdogs, the new Clare, are the Dublin hurlers. Roll on September and the double for the Dubs! (first double since Teddy McCarthy captained both Cork teams to All-Ireland titles in 1990?)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

matthew8 wrote: »
    That's hardly dominating for decades like you said. In truth I have no idea what sports are most popular in these countries, and it's probably a mix, but if China and Indonesia were into football so much you would expect them to have a halfway decent national team, being absolutely massive countries.

For whatever reason some countries just produce rubbish footballers! Considering the Chinese governments obsession with sporting greatness, where kids are sent away to Olympic training camps for most of their childhoods, I would reckon there must be some sort of intensive soccer programme there, yet they simply cannot produce the goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Weevil

For whatever reason some countries just produce rubbish footballers! Considering the Chinese governments obsession with sporting greatness, where kids are sent away to Olympic training camps for most of their childhoods, I would reckon there must be some sort of intensive soccer programme there, yet they simply cannot produce the goods.

I've heard a story of a devoted Chinese football fan be-moaning the state of the national team - "If only we had one decent player for every 100 million people".

Advertisement