Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting room to foreign student

Options
  • 09-08-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi, didn't know where to post this so apologies if its in the wrong place.
    I have been asked to keep a Spanish student for a full school year. We had the student for a month already this summer and all went well. I am in a small town in the south, Question is what to charge ? has anyone got any experience ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Moved to Accommodation & Property as you'll get better answers there

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What type of service do you want to provide?

Room only? Room + meals? Laundry? What duties will be expected of the lodger?

Check out daft.ie to see what a room in the area will cost.

Note that you can earn up to €10,000 tax free in such a situation, but it must be declared and include all bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Duketrixie

I knew a place in South Dublin charged € 140.00 (including breakfast and dinner) per student a week in a twin bedroom with shared bathroom.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

if you ring the accommodation office in the college they will have a good idea of the rent for digs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Is the student second or third level?

As for what to charge, in a small town you can forget Dublin rates of 140pw - they can charge that because of demand being so high relative to supply.

I think you should look at your costs associated with having the student and work from there. One of my flatmates had his brother move in for a couple of months. Between extra showers, washing, cooking, dishes etc., our utilities went up by about 50pm. Presumably you won't be feeding the student absolute crap, so allow for 50 euro worth of food per week. I'd be inclined to say that your costs shouldn't go much above 60 euro per week, (in fact, I can't see how they would unless you've to do extra school runs or whatever, in which case factor in the cost of the petrol).

I reckon a fair price for full board for a secondary school student would be 100pw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement