Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teeth grinding and filling pushed against nerve

• 09-08-2013 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have had a mad headache around the temples mainly but also sore ears,tension in the shoulders neck that is rock hard and no appetite for 10 days. The dentist says I've been grinding my teeth (I have and got a mold taken for a nightguard while I was there) and the grinding has pushed my composite filling against the nerve and that I should get it out and come back once the irrataion has gone, she'll put in a new filling. She then went onto say that if I didn't get it done soon the nerve could die, tooth turn black and I'd loose it.

Now, it's one of 2 composite fillings and money is tight so I'd have to replace it with an amalgam filling and I'd prefer to not do that. So I said I'd see how the pain progressed because at the time the pain had gone. She then said that could be a sign that the nerve's dying already. I think I've had this pain before though and no black teeth yet.

Today the pain came back. Yay! I don't know if the nerve is causing this. My GP thinks it's sinusitis but didn't do a proper exam and it doesn't feel like sinus pain (I get sinusitis a lot). How can I get this diagnosed?!?! Paracetamol and ibuprofen do nothing and tramadol is starting to be less effective and really isn't a daytime painkiller as I get spaced out.

So, should I
    a) Follow dentist's advice?
    b) TAke antibiotics
    c) Wait to see if the nightguard works
    d) Is there an OTC guard I could use in the mean time?
    e) Anyother ideas?

Thnak you for any advice.

Advertisement