Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Error '8002F281' After HDD Upgrade

Options
  • 09-08-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

My HDD upgrade was going perfectly until I tried to restore my backup to the new HDD. The restore started fine but inexplicably failed. After that the PS3 forced a 'System Software Restore' or something along those lines, which is expected after an error like that. However the restore had only finished about 30% after about 12 hours. I intended to let it run but the PS3 was accidentally turned off.

Now whenever I turn it on, no matter what HDD I have in, it asks for a system update but stalls at 99%. Even through Safe Mode.

Occasionally it doesnt even get as far as that and just gives me the '8002F281' error OR other times the system doesnt boot up AT ALL.

I have 2 HDDs available. The 640 GB I tried to upgrade to and my original 120 GB which hasnt been used since I removed it. Neither of them seem to work. I DO have a backup on a separate HDD so formatting either disc isn't a problem.

Anyone else manage to overcome this problem? I've tried several combinations of HDDs and actions but I keep hitting one of the above brick walls.

Would appreciate any help I can get here as I am all out of ideas myself.

Thanks.

Note: There MAY be a problem with the 640GB HDD as it was salvaged from a broken laptop. But it was formatted using my PC and seems to behave normally when plugged into the PC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Damien360

I cannot remember if you had to have the firmware on a USB key in the update folder. Are you attempting update from net ? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick here.

Pretty sure my disc was fat32 but the playstation does it's own thing once a new drive is installed. Might explain the ridiculous 12 hour install time. Mine was up and running after 15 mins with brand new 1 TB drive. I also assume the drive you are using has correct rpm although that would not explain older drive not working unless it was actually shagged.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Yes I'm using a USB key to update. To clarify, on start-up I dont get anywhere near the XMB, just a prompt to update the firmware by pressing START + SELECT.

Not actually sure what speed the drive is but like you said, it's probably not the problem.

After more experimentation I'm almost settled on the conclusion that it's something in the actual system that's the problem, not the HDD or the firmware.

Something is stopping the HDD from being accessed as well as the firmware update from finishing, which are the two ways in which I imagine this problem would be fixed without cracking open the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

The errors indicate a corrupted hard disc, you'd be better off trying "Restore File System" from the Safe Mode menu, and should that fail to complete, try "Rebuild Database", then try it again.

eddhorse wrote: »
    The errors indicate a corrupted hard disc, you'd be better off trying "Restore File System" from the Safe Mode menu, and should that fail to complete, try "Rebuild Database", then try it again.

Those options either kick me back to the update screen or just tell me that there is no storage available.

I've tried it with two HDDs so it seems the problem is with the system itself.

Its not looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement

eddhorse wrote: »

I've tried each HDD using both formats and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

And yeah, updating through Safe mode gives the same results.

Advertisement