Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Stationary Supplies In The City Centre

Options
  • 09-08-2013 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Looking for somewhere that I could get cheap stationary (like a discount store, Mr. Price etc) in the city centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

There is plenty of 2 Euro stores in the City, they should have plenty of stationary stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Tiger on Nassau Street is brilliant, cheap but not cheap looking stationary

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

+1 Tiger is a brilliant store.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Cheers guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

I never noticed it before on Nassau Street. Is the shop new?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Reads on Nassau Street have some good deals on stationery downstairs. Look at their bargains section, lots of discounted items available.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

I never noticed it before on Nassau Street. Is the shop new?

Yes the shop only opened in May. Great store - a mini mini Ikea! Everything is reasonably priced. It's the kind of shop that you'd want to buy everything in it! It's in the old Oasis store - only a few doors up from Subway.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

d1234 wrote: »
    Yes the shop only opened in May. Great store - a mini mini Ikea! Everything is reasonably priced. It's the kind of shop that you'd want to buy everything in it! It's in the old Oasis store - only a few doors up from Subway.

Ah great, thanks. I must head in there some day, it sounds like a great little spot. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Ah great, thanks. I must head in there some day, it sounds like a great little spot. :pac:

It is. Its only a small one the ones in the UK are a lot bigger they are all over the place there. So far the franchise has only been sold for Dublin I would imagine it will get sold all over the country when people have discovered it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

jimmii wrote: »
    It is. Its only a small one the ones in the UK are a lot bigger they are all over the place there. So far the franchise has only been sold for Dublin I would imagine it will get sold all over the country when people have discovered it!!

I got a look at their online store - talk about fuelling the stationary fetish! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Is it not the old Kennedy mcsharry store?

Scortho wrote: »
    Is it not the old Kennedy mcsharry store?

My apologies! Thought it was Oasis that was beside the House of Ireland store. Thanks for that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,737 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Being pedantic here, but it's actually "Stationery"!

Stationary means stopped!!

Reads is quite competitively priced for stationery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I'm pretty reads was brought by easons a couple of years ago and that why it's no longer cheap( most stuff is the same price as easons)

But you can find some bargains in tesco at the moment on pens etc due to back to school specials

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

My apologies! Thought it was Oasis that was beside the House of Ireland store. Thanks for that!!

Ah don't worry about it. It was me being pedantic

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Homestore and More are doing 4 for e5 on all stationery or e1.89 each

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

LIDL & ALDI will probably have back to school stuff at some point in the near future

There is a party shop on Middle Abbey St that also sell stationery - printer paper is €4.99 so pretty reasonably priced.

K&M Evans on Mary's Abbey St is good for arts and crafts supplies if that's what you're after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭druidstone

Is the stationery shop you mentioned (Reads) Irish-owned? I will only support Irish business even if its not the cheapest. Our hard-earned money stays in the country that way and the economy is better off. (I have only been living in Ireland 6 months but I love it here, just want to "do my bit" to help) A lot of my friends live by the 100km rule, only use businesses within 100km of where you live, support local business and the local business will stay alive. If we don't, they won't survive in today's internet world. You can't always stick by the that rule, but if you do it as much as you can, it all helps the local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

druidstone wrote: »
    support local business and the local business will stay alive
    I don't understand that mentality. It may sound good but doesn't really make sense as it the same money being spent in different places.

For example, many of the 600 employees in my job travel considerable distance to work and many utilise a shop/filling station near work for fuel, newspapers, drinks, cigarettes etc. Now, if those employees were to 'shop local' they'd be spending their money nearer to where they live (in several counties) and not in the shop near work. The shop near work would be lose lots of custom. How is that beneficial. It makes no sense. It's a myth, it's the same money going around.

• Advertisement

The theory behind it is this ... the places you choose to shop, if they are owned by a company (or their parent company) which is based outside of Ireland then ultimately all their profits (whats left after wages and expenses) end up outside the country. So by shopping at Irish-owned company, the profit stays in the country. Simple, and it does work. I am not talking about the wages the shops are paying to their staff, but the profits they are taking out of the country, out of the Irish economy and you are just helping the other country's economy at the expense of our own. The profit going out of the country is a whole lot more money than the wages. You are correct in saying that its the same money that goes around, but what you are talking about is just the wages, not the actual profit. Thats what I am talking about, the profit.

Of course common sense must prevail, you can't always shop with an Irish company, its not always possible if you need certain things that aren't made in this country.

But if you keep it in mind every time you shop, and buy Irish as much as you can, it all helps our economy, and keeps local business going, simple.

Take the example of the recent closure of Cork City's iconic music shop, Crowley's Music. The declining turnover blamed on internet sales eg. ebay. Now some people of Cork are saying they are so sorry they bought online instead of buying local. But it's too late for sorry now, the shop is gone.

The theory behind it is this ... the places you choose to shop, if they are owned by a company (or their parent company) which is based outside of Ireland then ultimately all their profits (whats left after wages and expenses) end up outside the country. So by shopping at Irish-owned company, the profit stays in the country
    I fully understand that and it makes sense but I talking about those who say that you should buy your paper and pint of milk in your nearest shop instead of the shop in the next town. It doesn't seem to occur to them that your local shop is also depending on income from other areas.

Further to my post, common sense also prevails, shop local applies to instances where you have a choice. You can't always choose, eg. if you are travelling away from home and have to refuel the car, you just might not have enough fuel to make it home or the fuel station nearer to home might not be open by the time you get home. That's taking it a bit literally.

For the support local business example, I used to live on a farm, and my closest shop was a 5 minute drive. It was the main fuel station on the highway, which sold the usual newspapers etc. but also sold fresh fruit and veg, and groceries, stock feeds etc to the local farms and passers by who commuted home to further away towns after working by day in the big city. Although the big shopping centre was a 15 minute drive and I could buy a lot cheaper there, I always bought my fresh veges and chicken feed at the fuel stop, to help keep them in business. They were a family business and if everyone decided to buy at the bigger shops, the smaller shops would have to close, just like Crowley's. There was already enough people buying at the bigger shops anyway. You have to use common sense, and where you have a choice, choosing to support local business really does work in many ways no matter what size the business is. I wouldn't buy at the bigger supermarkets like Coles or Woolworths either because they were american-owned. I boycotted them completely. What horrified me about the bigger supermarkets also is that they were constantly deleting their product lines and replacing them with their own brands which were made in China. Again putting local business out of work and people out of jobs. Even their fruit and veges would often come from China. Tasteless due to months of cold-storage. If I did find myself in the city and needing to buy food there because i was driving home late at night, I would always buy at a particular supermarket because they were owned by the managers who ran them and franchised, and therefore they were local business. (it was Supa-Valu in Australia) The Supa-Valu supermarkets also had a policy of buying their fruit and veg from local growers. Tasted great too. So you just think about it and use common sense. Every bit helps.

Anyway, back to topic, I hope there is a good stationery shop in Dublin city which is Irish-owned.

Every bit helps.
    Sounds very like Tesco's slogan! :eek:

Woops, had no idea. I have recently emigrated here
    (don't have time to watch TV or listen to radio - too busy working!)

If Tesco is Irish owned, I would buy my stationery there for sure!

i mean too busy working and doing other stuff, going out visiting friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Woops, had no idea. I have recently emigrated here
    (don't have time to watch TV or listen to radio - too busy working!)

If Tesco is Irish owned, I would buy my stationery there for sure!

Tesco is definitely not Irish owned.

Reads of Nassau Street is owned by Easons, and is Irish.

Excellent, thanks for the tip!

• Advertisement

The last time I went to Reads they wouldn't accept my Easons loyalty card. Was disappointed with that!

Advertisement