Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

THE CHIP UNDER A CASE TO STUDY.

• 09-08-2013 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Is it not” THE” solution to our moderns’ lives surrounded by gadgets of all kinds and managed increasingly by electronic?

We have to think seriously because in addition to solve the problems of forgotten passwords of our cards credit or access to our computers or our accounts on various internet networks it would help us to have our medical records and other personal information within easy reach.

I personally lost a mass of personal documents on a site online storage of data by forgetting the password.
    Last month, the FDA approved an implantable, rice-grain-sized microchip for use in humans. The tiny subcutaneous RFID chip, made by a company calledVeriChip, is being marketed as a lifesaving device. If you're brought to an emergency room unconscious, a scanner in the hospital doorway will read your chip's unique ID. That will unlock your medical records from a database, allowing doctors to learn about your penicillin allergy or your pacemaker.

Nothing makes privacy lovers andconspiracy theorists blanch like people rolling up their sleeves to get injected with tiny electronic devices. But fears of an Enemy of the State-like government tracking system overlook the fact that RFID chips can only be read at very short range. Will the chips let the FBI and National Security Agency watch implantees on some super-secret radar screen? Not likely. Could some stalker hobbyist hide a dozen RFID scanners around your neighborhood and track you from his garage? Possibly.

VeriChip's biggest human-chip market is Mexico. Eighteen members of the attorney general's staff were implanted with a chip in order to control access to a new government facility. * Building security isn't the biggest part of VeriChip's south-of-the-border sales pitch, though. Mexico's kidnapping wave—the country's 3,000 abductions a year are second only to Colombia worldwide—has led VeriChip to partner with the National Foundation for the Investigation of Lost and Kidnapped Children. So far, 1,000 Mexican citizens have voluntarily had RFID chips implanted.

The idea of using RFID gear to thwart kidnappers betrays a fundamental misunderstanding—or a deliberate misrepresentation—of how the technology works. An RFID implant is useful for tracking within a controlled area like a warehouse—"Where's widget No. 4,343?"—but not so useful for the kind Tommy Lee Jones does in The Fugitive. The RFID readers now on the market have a maximum range of about 30 feet. To monitor kidnappings in progress, Mexico would need to install RFID readers in every building, office, store, and street corner.
    Silverman concedes that the company's Mexican distributor may not have tried very hard to dispel the notion that VeriChips have GPS capabilities, which would be required for real remote tracking. VeriChip's parent company says a subdermal GPS device is now in development. But until a GPS implant becomes reality, implanted RFID chips will come in handy mostly in identifying dead bodies—that is, assuming kidnappers have the decency not to dig the chips out of their victims' arms.

There are implementation problems with that fantasy RFID medical scheme, too. Once you've been chipped, you'll have to wait for VeriChip to connect its database—containing your medical records—with each hospital's individual system. By the time we get a national medical database, you'll probably have died of natural causes.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/brave_new_world/2004/11/a_chip_in_your_shoulder.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anahita

I thought this was one of those Chinese spam sites that sells illegal prescription drugs where they scramble random English words to make content (text).

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Erinfan

Anahita wrote: »
    I thought this was one of those Chinese spam sites that sells illegal prescription drugs where they scramble random English words to make content (text).

What?

I presume the subject of the thread is too intellectual for simple minds please do not derail the discussion.

The Slate is a US based site like huffington post.

Erinfan wrote: »
    I presume the subject of the thread is too intellectual for simple minds please do not derail the discussion.

Just read the first line. Isn't there a more techie forum this could be posted on where people might understand it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

You mean the mark of the beast ?

Ye can fcuk off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Curry chips are nice as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Just read the first line. Isn't there a more techie forum this could be posted on where people might understand it?
    What was difficult about it?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

that link is from an article from November 2004

endacl wrote: »
    What was difficult about it?!?

The title for one doesn't make sense. The first line doesn't make sense but now I realise the OP might not be a native English speaker. I didn't read past the first line, as I said in a previous post.

"Is it not” THE” solution to our moderns’ lives surrounded by gadgets of all kinds and managed increasingly by electronic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

It's id chips under the skin,what's complicated?

The title for one doesn't make sense. The first line doesn't make sense but now I realise the OP might not be a native English speaker. I didn't read past the first line, as I said in a previous post.

"Is it not” THE” solution to our moderns’ lives surrounded by gadgets of all kinds and managed increasingly by electronic?

Is that clear enough? Ok, ok, I'm an idiot who only understands English when the words (in the title and the first sentence only) are in the correct order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Actually all of the content by the OP appears to come from Google translate. The errors are too cryptic to be a non-english speaker getting muddle up.

Good point, seamus. I can feel my conspiracy theory senses tingling!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

I presume the subject of the thread is too intellectual for simple minds

No need for that now.

Did you realize this news is nearly a decade old when you started the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

so..... what's going on here then?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

This is such a great idea. It can be used as a sort of a population control thing too. Once we get rid of paper money, which is on the agenda, then all of our money is controlled through the rfid device. If you piss off the government they can cut you from the system. They can also GPS track us in case we ever decide to go off grid.

Anyone who hates the idea of these subdermal devices needs a few years in a re-education camp. It's for our own good, people.

I suggested to a few people that we start slowly, by introducing it to members of the population nobody likes, like criminals, immigrants and drug addicts. Then, create a few media panics that will slowly ease the population into accepting them into everyone.

I wonder what private corporation will get the contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

This isn't news.

I hate this idea. We're not cattle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

roast wrote: »
    This isn't news.

I hate this idea. We're not cattle.

Cattle have them hung around their necks.Wouldn't have an issue with it if it made things more convenient.

Isn't this on the same continuum as iris scans etc? Just more advanced technology?

I do see the medical applications being beneficial as there isn't a national database of patients (strange considering this is a relatively small country) who have serious allergies/illnesses etc...

Anyway, what's the deal with the google translate though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Daddy or chips?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Tattoo a number on the old arm there... much better system. Simpler too... less invasive.

What? What's wrong with what I said?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

kneemos wrote: »
    Cattle have them hung around their necks.Wouldn't have an issue with it if it made things more convenient.

1960: "I have a great idea! lets have every person in the country carry a radio tracking beacon!" "That'll never fly!" 2012: "I can has TWO iphones??"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

gctest50 wrote: »
    1960: "I have a great idea! lets have every person in the country carry a radio tracking beacon!" "That'll never fly!" 2012: "I can has TWO iphones??"

Would you not want to variate and have an iphone, android and a windows phone just to be with the cool kids?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭calanus

Huh?
    The Slate is a US Slate.... Full of this crap all the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

gctest50 wrote: »
    Exactly.

Many people might dislike the idea of a getting their hand microchipped.

Refashion the idea in a fancy shell, create a load of 'can't live without it' goodies and it'll barely leave their hand.

Advertisement