Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oprah Winfrey victim of racism apparently...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Me212 wrote: »
    I always wonder if it was the other way around and the Europeans where the ones who were the slaves and the Africans the colonial powers how the world would be because that's when people will understand that the world is still racist i don't know why because its not really the African peoples fault that they where hauled miles from home to the USA and there countries taking over by European countries and now even when they have independence these countries still get involved in the running of them Nobody besides the race will ever understand being judged by their race because you cant its just the way it is.

Oprah was probably over not served for other reasons but the clerk should of not said its too expensive because why would a normal middle class person as for 35,000 dollar was she assuming and if she was assuming based on what her hair her shoes no guys lets be honest come on

This is as close to Joyce as I've read on boards.ie for yonks. Hi Me212, how about doing a 21st century Finnegan's Wake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Some on here reckon it definitely wasn't racist, some reckon it definitely was.

Those of us with a bit of common sense and intelligence pointed out that there isn't possibly any way that we can know either way given the information we have.

I have nothing more to say on the matter. We're only going around in circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Norwesterner

I'd say the shop has it's fair share of tyre-kickers...."c'mere and see this bag for 35 grand"
    Thet probably have their regular customers and assume newbies are just nosey feckers.
    I'm sure they made the same comment to others prior to thin-skinned Oprah.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I don't believe it was racist. Having said that, there does appear to be an undercurrent of schadenfreude here from the usual suspects. I guess strong black women un-nerve some people.

old hippy wrote: »
    I don't believe it was racist. Having said that, there does appear to be an undercurrent of schadenfreude here from the usual suspects. I guess strong black women un-nerve some people.

Schadenfreude? You gotta be joking old bean! Ever since this happened, I have treated ebony leviathans with great respect caution :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Aye,she's a strong looking girl alright.

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Schadenfreude? You gotta be joking old bean! Ever since this happened, I have treated ebony leviathans with great respect caution :D.

So, what are you saying? All pop stars are prone to hissy fits? All black pop stars are prone to hissy fits?

There's not one molecule of respect in your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

I'm dizzy from watching this thread go around and around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Schadenfreude ? She was slightly inconvenienced when she couldnt hold a 48k crocodile skinned bag ffs. She wasnt beaten out of the fcukin shop ! I'd say people couldnt give a shít more than they are relishing in her misfortune.

And I'd say it has more to do with the fact she's a billionaire using the worlds media as her own personal Joe Duffy show than her being a strong black woman.......

• Advertisement

So, what are you saying? All pop stars are prone to hissy fits? All black pop stars are prone to hissy fits?

There's not one molecule of respect in your posts.

Hence the cancel bar (
    ) through the offending word.
    In my book schadenfreude is a kind of malicious glee at someone else's downfall (very well fitted into one word by our economic bosses). I don't think that Miss Oprah has had a downfall over this little molecule of disrespect. Maybe her channel is experiencing one. You really need to put on the pince-nez and read the gossip/glitterati pages.

I'm bored of racism, change the effing tune. I've been in England and called been Paddy etc, and asked where my balaclava was etc. (didn't get an address of the lad when I said I could pop home for it and show him, strange?).

Yes, many of us have been there. Doesn't make it any less serious - it remains a problem that needs challenging. But the fact of the matter is, Irish people don't face the same amount of discrimination that black and or Asian people still face today.

Jacob Rees Mogg isn't attending any parties where Irish/Irish descent people are told to go back home. Far as I'm aware...

Hence the cancel bar (
    ) through the offending word.
    In my book schadenfreude is a kind of malicious glee at someone else's downfall (very well fitted into one word by our economic bosses). I don't think that Miss Oprah has had a downfall over this little molecule of disrespect. Maybe her channel is experiencing one. You really need to put on the pince-nez and read the gossip/glitterati pages.

If they're up to the standards of some AH threads, I'd rather not.

If they're up to the standards of some AH threads, I'd rather not.

I'll ponder this more deeply when I get to work. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Yes, many of us have been there. Doesn't make it any less serious - it remains a problem that needs challenging. But the fact of the matter is, Irish people don't face the same amount of discrimination that black and or Asian people still face today.

Jacob Rees Mogg isn't attending any parties where Irish/Irish descent people are told to go back home. Far as I'm aware...

Serious my eye. Oprah "interpreted" it as racist. The assistant, as reported, didn't say yo! black ghetto momma you can't touch this. It's a non story load of bollocks. She walked out of the shop and said nothing in the shop :confused: Load of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

What I don't like about Oprah is that she does the female cause no good at all. Like Liz Taylor was, she's in to fashion bullying. Parading about in clothes that most of her viewers could not dream of buying ie. keeping an invisible barrier between her and the people that keep her in her tower. She scenes all these wonderful life changing things on her shows, (Have any of you ever seen a life changing thing/event, that changed your life FOREVER. Not just for the next two days?) The amount of con artists that she gave time to (thereby legitimizing them in the goggle eyes of the audience/viewers) would fill a wing of San Quentin. Bubbly? Of course she is. Wouldn't you be if you had all these people in your palm. And making big money from it as well. Pure pipe dream stuff. Megalomaniacs are rarely nice people. And don't tell me she isn't one.
    Liz Taylor would put on a load of weight because she was stuffing her face too much. Would be seen in a hammock one day and a few months later show up looking radiant and slim. Then tell the world through her chosen media pals that she lost the weight through will power at the table. When in fact she had a cabinet full of every type of laxative going. Viewers with big weight problems who tried what Liz Taylor said publicly would lose heart. Don't tell me that this wasn't a form of bullying.

However folks, it's a free world and whatever turns you on etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

it sounds like they may have not recognised her and were profiling people;which coud mean racialy and other ways.
    what happened to oprah does happen to white people though, had gone to a shop in the trafford center years ago- they sold steiff bears mainly and had saved up a hundred pound to buy a new steiff bear.
    was pure white,ginger haired,non verbal-sister was wearing feminine but grown up looking clothes, had wanted this white label [very rare] large steiff bear and pointed at it when the lady asked which one had wanted and she said am not able to afford that,took a lot of explaining off sister about the money for her to accept am not a chavvy little sht who wants to ruin a future piece of history.

they clearly do profile in shops which deal with a lot of money,itd be wrong to ignore that.

Let's see how many of the liberal pinkos back the shop lady. A lady who would have made a huge bonus for selling just one piece. Go on, watch for yourselves

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2389798/Oprah-Winfrey-branded-liar-Swiss-sales-assistant-racist-handbag-row.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

F*ck me.
    Irrelevant, but, if Oprah went into the shop looking like this, i wouldn't have a f**king clue who she was.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/08/09/article-2387630-1B36C118000005DC-793_634x684.jpg

Fair play to the Sales assistant calling her a liar.

Straight to the point.. :D. No faffing about.
    Pity at the end she says if she say Winfrey, she'd apologise and say it was a misunderstanding.

I wouldn't be so kind.

Serious my eye. Oprah "interpreted" it as racist. The assistant, as reported, didn't say yo! black ghetto momma you can't touch this. It's a non story load of bollocks. She walked out of the shop and said nothing in the shop :confused: Load of nonsense.

Actually, I'm replying to this "I'm bored of racism, change the effing tune. I've been in England and called been Paddy etc"

Just because racism (casual, or otherwise) bores you, doesn't mean it should be dismissed. You may be quite happy with the "Paddy" name calling but not all of us are.

Some people are just more sensitive to racism than others, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've been called paddy, potato muncher etc in England.

A group of black lads outside a chip-shop in this country started shouting "small dick white boys" at a group of us one night.

None of it bothered me whatsoever. Now had we confronted those lads I've no doubt that we would have been seen as the racists.

• Advertisement

Henlars67 wrote: »
    Some people are just more sensitive to racism than others, it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I've been called paddy, potato muncher etc in England.

A group of black lads outside a chip-shop in this country started shouting "small dick white boys" at a group of us one night.

None of it bothered me whatsoever. Now had we confronted those lads I've no doubt that we would have been seen as the racists.

Depends how you confront them, isn't it? Next time you could confront them with your massive member and invite comparisons...

Actually, I'm replying to this "I'm bored of racism, change the effing tune. I've been in England and called been Paddy etc"

Just because racism (casual, or otherwise) bores you, doesn't mean it should be dismissed. You may be quite happy with the "Paddy" name calling but not all of us are.
    OK Bridget. That better or more appropriate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I remember watching Oprah and the show was about racism.
    They dressed some black guys up as white people with full make up and "white" guy clothes. They then sent them around the town to do things like buy something in a shop, going into a hotel lobby etc...

They then got the guys to go back the next day to the same places and see the difference. They were treated very differently and they discussed the racism. They were remarking how even fellow black people in the shops treated them differently.

The problem that kind of made the whole experiment point less was what they guys wore the times they went in as regular black people. One of them was now wearing a puffer jacket, sports top,a baseball cap, jeans and runners. The day before he was wearing a suit and made up as a white person. There was some talk about the clothes being appropriate to what people in the two different groups wear. It really annoyed me at the time as an example of a show being completely bias while claiming to enlighten people.

Anyway it would at least point to me where Oprah was not very looking at race in a fair and balanced way.

Another thing I always find enlightening is if you listen to people from deprived neighbourhoods in Ireland where generally the people are white complain about being ignored. They sound exactly like people from deprived neighbourhoods in the US but in the US they go on about race being the reason and here it is just because where they are from. Not saying it is true or not but it is parallel thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I remember watching Oprah and the show was about racism.
    They dressed some black guys up as white people with full make up and "white" guy clothes. They then sent them around the town to do things like buy something in a shop, going into a hotel lobby etc...

They then got the guys to go back the next day to the same places and see the difference. They were treated very differently and they discussed the racism. They were remarking how even fellow black people in the shops treated them differently.

The problem that kind of made the whole experiment point less was what they guys wore the times they went in as regular black people. One of them was now wearing a puffer jacket, sports top,a baseball cap, jeans and runners. The day before he was wearing a suit and made up as a white person. There was some talk about the clothes being appropriate to what people in the two different groups wear. It really annoyed me at the time as an example of a show being completely bias while claiming to enlighten people.

Anyway it would at least point to me where Oprah was not very looking at race in a fair and balanced way.

Another thing I always find enlightening is if you listen to people from deprived neighbourhoods in Ireland where generally the people are white complain about being ignored. They sound exactly like people from deprived neighbourhoods in the US but in the US they go on about race being the reason and here it is just because where they are from. Not saying it is true or not but it is parallel thinking

It wouldn't make a good TV show if they were treated the same. Same as this story would be a non story, had Oprah not mentioned racism.

I was replying to Oprah calling this non story a case of racism, it clearly isn't. It may be ignorant and rude, but racist, where? It's rubbish. Why go on world media about racism when she could have asked to see the manager like a reasonable person would.

Ush1 wrote: »
    It wouldn't make a good TV show if they were treated the same. Same as this story would be a non story, had Oprah not mentioned racism.
    Yes that is the point I made

But historically, people in deprived areas in Ireland don't have the same history of being oppressed in the same way?

They are discriminated against, of course. One only has to read the myriad of threads about the unemployed/"scumbags"/"scroungers"/"knackers" etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BurnsCarpenter

I was replying to Oprah calling this non story a case of racism, it clearly isn't. It may be ignorant and rude, but racist, where? It's rubbish.

Do you think this sales assistant tells every well-dressed woman who asks to see this bag that they won't be able to afford it? That would be pretty strange for a luxury store. So why was Oprah singled out?

Why are you so certain that it wasn't racism?

Do you think this sales assistant tells every well-dressed woman who asks to see this bag that they won't be able to afford it? That would be pretty strange for a luxury store. So why was Oprah singled out?

Why are you so certain that it wasn't racism?

It could have been a misunderstanding. The assistant could simply be a rude person. There's a lot of other answers rather than leaving the shop and crying racism. Looks to me this is a lot more to do with Oprah than anything that happened in that shop. Why not have the manager come to the counter and sort it out there, like a reasonable person. If it was such an upmarket place, do you not think they would wish to avoid scandal rather than court it? It does not add up.

• Advertisement

But historically, people in deprived areas in Ireland don't have the same history of being oppressed in the same way?

They are discriminated against, of course. One only has to read the myriad of threads about the unemployed/"scumbags"/"scroungers"/"knackers" etc.

Of course people get discriminated against. Why on earth not? Put the PC crap to one side and put on your thinking cap. We (humans) are a society. The advancement of society is contingent on the same humans pulling together and doing our bit. We owe it to ourselves and our descendants. If there is a health (physical or mental) issue that stops someone taking part in this scenario, we, as a body endowed with intellectual emotion, will help those people. The unemployed pass in and out of this set up as well. But the "scumbags"/"scroungers"/"knackers" etc. as you so succinctly put it, deserve the disdain of the people that pick up the slack. No? If not, please explain.

Being a scumbag is a lifestyle choice. They deserve all they get.

I know loads of people from disadvantaged areas who turned out just fine because they chose not to intimidate people going about their business, or to be a drug dealer or thief etc.

I also know a couple of people who grew up in middle class families, were given every opportunity and still turned out to be scumbags.

As I said, it's a lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

Race Hoax? Oprah 'Apologizes' After Accused Racist Calls Her a Liar

With hardly any scrutiny or skepticism, the mainstream media allowed one of the most powerful persons in the world to attack a powerless sales clerk as a racist. And now that this anonymous sales clerk has branded Oprah Winfrey a liar, the billionaire media mogul is trying to make it all go away with a non-apology apology.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/13/Race-hoax-after-accused-racist-calls-er-liar-oprah-plays-down-swiss-mess

Jumping to conclusions without facts can never be right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Depends how you confront them, isn't it? Next time you could confront them with your massive member and invite comparisons...

Dafuq kinda advice is that?? Are you a gay porn movie director or something?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

With hardly any scrutiny or skepticism, the mainstream media allowed one of the most powerful persons in the world to attack a powerless sales clerk as a racist. And now that this anonymous sales clerk has branded Oprah Winfrey a liar, the billionaire media mogul is trying to make it all go away with a non-apology apology.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2013/08/13/Race-hoax-after-accused-racist-calls-er-liar-oprah-plays-down-swiss-mess

....which is a good one, considering the site that wee rant is from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

That depends on what you mean by 'right'

Oprah built herself an Empire on her ability to pander to audiences. She knows her demographics and she plays to their desires.

She told a story that got world-wide media coverage. We're all talking about it, talking about her. Oh, and she just happens to be promoting a new film....gee, I never would have known that, if not for all this.

Her story worked 100%. It was pure gold.

The only difference is, had this been in the 80s, 90s, or even 2000s - nobody would have ever heard the clerk's response. She didn't name the store or an employee, on purpose, because she knew it was a b.s. story.

Of course, none of this matters, her target demographic would have heard the headline of the original story, used that to validate their world view and moved on. The followup / apology will get 1/10th the coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

she really is a vile disgusting pig with an ego the size of her arse, the only reason she's apologising is cause she knows the tide is turning against her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

she really is a vile disgusting pig with an ego the size of her arse, the only reason she's apologising is cause she knows the tide is turning against her

+1 on that
    Not sure who I hate more
    Oprah or that idiot kanye west
    Both of them are morans and possibly the biggest racists out there in celeb world

• Utter nonsense. The vast majority of Irish people - possibly all us - would be directed to a cheaper bag or shop if were shopping for a $38K bag. In those shops if you are unknown it's wise to assume you can't afford an accessory for 40k. Most people cant.

Ridiculous how this "white privilege" **** - an American import - has colonized the mind of Irish proles.

That shop was for the 1%. Of course you would be discriminated against if you tried shop there.

What's your point?

You're deluded if you think white privilege doesn't exist, btw. You're like my Irish mates who reckon there's no racism in Ireland. Of course there isn't, as far as they're concerned, because it's not directed at them. Why would they see it?

You're privileged as a white person in Ireland because you have NEVER had to wonder if someone was being nasty to you because of your skin colour. I experienced quite a lot of racist bullying as a young child and it's the worst feeling I've ever experienced. If someone is horrible to you because they just don't like you, or because they're a dick, fine. Grand. But having that niggling feeling that you're being followed around a shop because of your skin colour is the worst feeling ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

I had a similar experience 20 years ago in Germany, where I was buying a pair of shoes. I spoke German to the shop assistant and asked her could I try on the shoes, she gave them to me, but under her breath she said "You have to be able to afford them".
    I felt really insulted, but pretended I didn't hear, bought the shoes and left.

I am white and Irish and I reckoned it was racism straight off all those years ago, and I was wearing my Penny's gear.

What's your point?

You're deluded if you think white privilege doesn't exist, btw. You're like my Irish mates who reckon there's no racism in Ireland. Of course there isn't, as far as they're concerned, because it's not directed at them. Why would they see it?

You're privileged as a white person in Ireland because you have NEVER had to wonder if someone was being nasty to you because of your skin colour. I experienced quite a lot of racist bullying as a young child and it's the worst feeling I've ever experienced. If someone is horrible to you because they just don't like you, or because they're a dick, fine. Grand. But having that niggling feeling that you're being followed around a shop because of your skin colour is the worst feeling ever.

You have used two superlatives in the above post. Both can't be the worst!

If that is the worst feeling that you have experienced (and in your own words it was only a feeling), I suggest you go out more often and try and curtail your navel gazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

What's your point?

In Ireland they have to wonder because of their accents or their address. In fairness the classism is steep.

That doesn't also mean here isn't also racism, but its not just skin colour, its difference, British or American or other white Europeans.

I'm not Jewish and yet I still managed to get called a kike one day in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

I had a similar experience 20 years ago in Germany, where I was buying a pair of shoes. I spoke German to the shop assistant and asked her could I try on the shoes, she gave them to me, but under her breath she said "You have to be able to afford them".
    I felt really insulted, but pretended I didn't hear, bought the shoes and left.

I am white and Irish and I reckoned it was racism straight off all those years ago, and I was wearing my Penny's gear.

:confused::confused: Why did you buy them, why dident you say in your best German shove them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

What's your point?

All countries have racism to some degree at least in the west you can complain and people will listen. If you were in China or Japan no one would care. If you were a white person in Africa no one would care either.

It really depends on how you look at it. It is established fact the British tried genocide on the Irish people at points in time. They repressed the people and their language. As time moved on we gained a free state but their were still the lower classes and the uncivilised as it was seen who were further put upon. If you feel you are descendants of those people you have a longer historical record of being treated badly than Afro-Americans.

Being from a deprived area doesn't mean you are unemployed or the other names people say. People complaining about people living off the state is not the same in my eyes as claiming an area is deprived.

The feeling of being put upon or that you are being discriminated against doesn't need to be true but you can still have the chip on your shoulder.

Most people will get some form of discrimination at some point whether it is age, sex, appearance or race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It really depends on how you look at it. It is established fact the British tried genocide on the Irish people at points in time. They repressed the people and their language. As time moved on we gained a free state but their were still the lower classes and the uncivilised as it was seen who were further put upon. If you feel you are descendants of those people you have a longer historical record of being treated badly than Afro-Americans.

Being from a deprived area doesn't mean you are unemployed or the other names people say. People complaining about people living off the state is not the same in my eyes as claiming an area is deprived.

The feeling of being put upon or that you are being discriminated against doesn't need to be true but you can still have the chip on your shoulder.

Most people will get some form of discrimination at some point whether it is age, sex, appearance or race.

I think it comes from the influence of American TV and movies. They have a history of black opression but that is far less promonent over here in Europe and especially Ireland where we were the ones opressed.

Potatoeman wrote: »
    I think it comes from the influence of American TV and movies. They have a history of black opression but that is far less promonent over here in Europe and especially Ireland where we were the ones opressed.
    I really doubt it came from American TV and films. It is more likely a normal human reaction to blame others whether true or not

Strange how threads morph. This one has gone 360* from being one that portrayed a black person that said she was racially profiled to a discussion on white people assuming that they too are getting the same treatment.

Evolution is the beauty of boards.ie

No mod around to put the cuffs on this? Before it strays into intergalactic realms.

Strange how threads morph. This one has gone 360* from being one that portrayed a black person that said she was racially profiled to a discussion on white people assuming that they too are getting the same treatment.

No mod around to put the cuffs on this? Before it strays into intergalactic realms.
    It is on topic as it is about perceived discrimination

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Would be a shame to cuff it just because the message isn't one that some folks are as willing to receive.....

Just saying....

• Advertisement
Advertisement