Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oprah Winfrey victim of racism apparently...

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I really doubt it came from American TV and films. It is more likely a normal human reaction to blame others whether true or not

I was refering to racial prejudice againt black people being a large cultural issue. It is for America but not here as its not a big part of our history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

In Ireland they have to wonder because of their accents or their address. In fairness the classism is steep.

That doesn't also mean here isn't also racism, but its not just skin colour, its difference, British or American or other white Europeans.

I'm not Jewish and yet I still managed to get called a kike one day in Ireland.

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Nodin wrote: »
    How?

He has a big nose?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

He has a big nose?

People are certainly that thick betimes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Potatoeman wrote: »
    All countries have racism to some degree at least in the west you can complain and people will listen. If you were in China or Japan no one would care. If you were a white person in Africa no one would care either.

I don't know about China but when I was racially abused in Japan, that did not go down well at all. If people see you being badly treated there, they will step up. In my experience, fwiw.

Also it depends what part of Africa you mean. There are many different countries and many of those countries (like Nigeria) are made up of many nations and tribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

You can't blame Potatoeman for being wrong. He's just spouting "white rights" talking points.

• WilyCoyote wrote: »
    You have used two superlatives in the above post. Both can't be the worst!

If that is the worst feeling that you have experienced (and in your own words it was only a feeling), I suggest you go out more often and try and curtail your navel gazing.

Thanks for telling me how I should feel. You're making my point perfectly, really.

"You said being or feeling discriminated against because of your skin colour was the worst thing ever, but you're wrong, because Isay so. It can't possibly be true. You obviously need to get out more if that's the worst thing you've ever experienced. I've decided that despite not having a clue about your life or what you've been through. I'm somehow qualified to decide how people should feel and tell them they're being ridiculous when they share how it feels to be on the receiving end of racism."

WilyCoyote

Do you not get how truly obnoxious, rude and dismissive that is? Exactly the same attitude as those people I was originally complaining about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Oakboy

Candie wrote: »
    She says she was dressed in Donna Karan. I'm no expert, but if a middle aged white woman dressed in expensive designer clothes asked to see the handbag, I'm guessing she wouldn't have been told it was too expensive for her.
    It's seems pretty obvious that the shop assistant saw a black woman and immediately stereotyped her as being too poor to buy an item.

In what alternate reality is that not racism?

Yep, let's just presume racism based on pretty whimsical evidence. Like the same way you presume guilt instead of innocence. It's a pretty big thing to just accuse someone of racism, when the reason behind this could be any multitude of things.

It's funny, the people crying racism here based on the gospel according to oprah, would be the very first to jump down others throats for making presumptions without knowing the full facts, but alas that is when it suits their own way of thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Omackeral wrote: »
    My main issue is why the f*ck is ANY handbag costing 40K?!?!

Mad price, I bet youd pick that up for 20K in the sales.

• Advertisement

You can't blame Potatoeman for being wrong. He's just spouting "white rights" talking points.

My point was that racism is everywhere, its just less socially acceptable in the west. You seem to be trying to label me, which is usually the tactic of those trying to limit discussion on a topic they are opinionated on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Oprah has changed her story some many times on this that her credibility in this story is almost laughable.

Even in her original statement she put the fact that she wasn't recognized and that her show isn't shown in Switzerland before the "racism" claims.

Then she says I was in my Donna Karen etc

Then she says she wasn't wearing/showing anything that would allow someone to assume she was able to afford the bag.

Whether the shop assistant refused to show her the bag or there was a misunderstanding is almost irrelevant. But the fact Oprah is black had nothing to do with anything that happened. I just think she was stereotyped.

If walk across the street into the Lamborghini dealership across from my office and ask can I take their Aventador for a test drive I will be refused immediately. It's not because I am black/white/green/yellow it is because the the owner/salesman will decide in his mind that I can't afford it based on how I look not the colour of my skin.

Oprah was probably stereotyped by the shop assistant. She couldn't afford the bag because of what she looked like, not because she is black. That is not racism. Her race did not come into it.

If it was a white Swiss person in the same clothes as Oprah do you think they would be allowed see the bag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭tritium

Thanks for your sterling contribution to the discussion. I'm sure you have extensive experience of how only certain groups can suffer discrimination. You probably have a PhD thesis on how the pain of certain groups is less in the face of discrimination because they don't have the ancestor effect to magnify the suffering

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭photofinish

In 1998, when an Amarillo, Texas, jury ruled that Winfrey did not have to pay $11 million to a group of Lone Star State cattle ranchers who alleged that her show on Mad Cow Disease needlessly demeaned them and their industry, Winfrey claimed to be a victim of racial discrimination.

In 2005, Oprah Winfrey accused luxury store Hermes in Paris of turning her away when she stopped in to purchase an expensive watch for singer Tina Turner. A spokesperson for the TV personality later referred to the incident as her “crash moment.”
    “Crash” was a 2004 film that centered around the damaging effects of racism. The phrase “crash moment” refers to “situations where a party feels discriminated against on the basis of skin color,” CNN reported in 2005.

As it turned out, Oprah and her team arrived at Hermes at around 6:45 p.m. on June 14, 2005, which was about 15 minutes after the store had closed and was setting up a private PR event. A store spokesperson said a security guard informed the star that the store was closed. Oprah was given a card and told to come back the next day.
    Surveillance footage of the exchange backed up the store’s account. Oprah apparently wanted the store to allow her to make a quick purchase, but was denied.

If I had a store I would not let her attention seeking mug within a mile of it.
    Anybody who sides with this odious woman who is a proven lair with a track record must have a race baiting agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Candie wrote: »
    Ms Winfrey, whom I find personally irritating, commands my huge respect for coming from a desperately impoverished and difficult background and overcoming huge personal challenges to become a self made billionaire, on the back of nothing but her own hard work and eye for opportunity.

In a world where the Paris Hiltons and Kardashians gets more recognition and approval, despite having no appreciable talent or apparent work ethic, Ms Winfrey is to be congratulated and admired, not because she is black, not because I'm a fan, but because she is a great success story.

She's no dope, and she's no 'victim'.

would agree with this completely.

However, I did used to really really love her show but over the last few years I found it to be a bit "smug" and patronizing.

She is a huge figure in America, everybody listens to her and for that reason it would be great if she could educate America more on what goes on in the outside world, and not just pat the egos of the likes of tom cruise and the the "star" of the month. She could do so much with her shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Rocket19 wrote: »
    I've gone to the same ski resort every year since I was a kid. It's in the French alps, but closest city is Geneva.

Anyone who has any experience of these Swiss resorts will know that some of the shop assistants in the nearby shops/stores can be extremely snobby!!
    I've noticed it a few times; I'd go into a perfume/clothes store to buy something, and be greeted with an unmistakably snotty attitude.
    Im a white girl, but I thought it was because I was young, or wearing casual ski clothes, etc. I have heard from many people that they have encountered this rudeness in the up-market stores, but I just put in down to their general manner. Once you start to spend money, they are all over you.

Not saying that Oprah couldn't have experienced racism, bit if the Swiss shop assistant didn't recognise her (and how dare she not), it wouldn't surprise me if she was just a victim of general snootiness.

it would be very interesting to find out if this incident had happened in this particular shop before the oprah incident and if so, did the shop, and the country go out of their way to apologize to said person.

Or is the "money" factor the significant reason why oprah winfrey got an apology, and NOT because the wrong thing was done.

Thanks for telling me how I should feel. You're making my point perfectly, really.

"You said being or feeling discriminated against because of your skin colour was the worst thing ever, but you're wrong, because Isay so. It can't possibly be true. You obviously need to get out more if that's the worst thing you've ever experienced. I've decided that despite not having a clue about your life or what you've been through. I'm somehow qualified to decide how people should feel and tell them they're being ridiculous when they share how it feels to be on the receiving end of racism."

WilyCoyote

Do you not get how truly obnoxious, rude and dismissive that is? Exactly the same attitude as those people I was originally complaining about it.

Well said. Unfortunately some people refuse to entertain the notion that racism, casual or otherwise actually hurts. Try and point this out and you've " a chip on your shoulder/you should get out more" etc.

old hippy wrote: »
    Well said. Unfortunately some people refuse to entertain the notion that racism, casual or otherwise actually hurts. Try and point this out and you've " a chip on your shoulder/you should get out more" etc.

It's a serious accusation though andthrowing it around undermines it. Perceived racism is not the same assomeone being clearly racist and it's a pretty crappy thing to accusesomeone of if you are not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

What's your point?

You're deluded if you think white privilege doesn't exist, btw. You're like my Irish mates who reckon there's no racism in Ireland. Of course there isn't, as far as they're concerned, because it's not directed at them. Why would they see it?

You're privileged as a white person in Ireland because you have NEVER had to wonder if someone was being nasty to you because of your skin colour. I experienced quite a lot of racist bullying as a young child and it's the worst feeling I've ever experienced. If someone is horrible to you because they just don't like you, or because they're a dick, fine. Grand. But having thatniggling feeling that you're being followed around a shop because of your skin colour is the worst feeling ever.

You seem a bit confused as to which is the worst feeling. Even without not mentioning feeling sorry for yourself?

WilyCoyote

Just as you can make an assumption about how others feel, I can make an assumption about you. By joining the victims club, you make it harder for yourself to straighten out your thinking. If I was in your shoes, I'd get off my butt, get on with my life and not analyse the actions of others. Wallowing in self pity is very negative.
    old hippy wrote: »

Everyone knows that racism exists. People take stick for various reasons: speaking broken English, wearing middle eastern face/head gear, having a lot of metal piercings, different hairstyle, colour of your skin, clothes you wear, the religion that you practice etc. So what. Get on with life and don't be a moaning Minnie.
    At the moment the colour of your skin is the flavor of the month by the irritating PC brigade. Their lofty rhetoric and patronizing one-upmanship would be more appropriate in a Savoy opera. AFAIK, you live in London. You've only got to look at the looney policies that some of the left wing councils have adopted in the name of positive discrimination. Brent and Lambeth being just two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭skyfall2012

realies wrote: »
    :confused::confused: Why did you buy them, why dident you say in your best German shove them.

Because I wanted the shoes more than I wanted to make her hurt. I still think about those shoes they were lovely.

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    Everyone knows that racism exists. People take stick for various reasons: speaking broken English, wearing middle eastern face/head gear, having a lot of metal piercings, different hairstyle, colour of your skin, clothes you wear, the religion that you practice etc. So what. Get on with life and don't be a moaning Minnie.
    At the moment the colour of your skin is the flavor of the month by the irritating PC brigade. Their lofty rhetoric and patronizing one-upmanship would be more appropriate in a Savoy opera. AFAIK, you live in London. You've only got to look at the looney policies that some of the left wing councils have adopted in the name of positive discrimination. Brent and Lambeth being just two.

It's all very well calling people moaning minnies and banging on about looney politics but when you or your family/friends experience racism, come back to me on that.

Frankly, you've got form here for dismissing racism and those who are affected by it, so I take your "advice" with a large dollop of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Was she dressed middle class? Usually those snooty shops are snooty unless your dressed in Hermes.

Advertisement