Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insane mistake by bank advice needed

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

So... your mother has No credit card of her own... but paid a credit card bill for 5 years?

Household bills that could be run up: heating, esb, phone, tv, internet, bins, credit card, loan, mortgage/rent.... I'm struggling to see how you could have more than those, and that amount of direct debits is perfectly easy to keep on top of.

"there was some link thing that banks used between banks and wrong bank details were used" - what does this even mean?

+1. Cannot believe such a situation would go unnoticed by two people for FIVE YEARS. One party doesn't even have a credit card, yet never queried debits from her account. :confused:..while the other never notices that the bill is not being paid from her account...!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭keysersoze0330

Insane mistake by bank!! Surely this has to be a wind up. How does someone with no credit card pay a credit card bill monthly. And how does someone with a credit card not pay a bill and not wonder why he never gets one. The 'so many direct debits' line doesn't wash. I scan my bank accounts to make sure the c***s don't get a cent they're not entitled to. Come on OP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

I must be drunk, because I could swear this thread is about a person saying she had a CC for 5 years and never paid a bill, and her Mam had no CC for 5 years and paid a bill every month. Must have been drinking some crazy **** tonight.

How exactly did you think the card was being paid off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

One of the most bizarre threads I've read on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Some of this is plausible. I can believe the mother didn't notice it - some people simply do not check their accounts as long as they have enough money in the account. However, I'm less inclined to believe the OP was blissfully unaware.

I also agree that the bank is unlikely to have set this up without a mistake from the OP.

I could see how the OP gave their mother's bank details and the bank didn't pick up on the incompatible signature. Either way the OP owes the money, but curiously doesn't allude to this point in her post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

This has to be a wind up, it's just too damn crazy to believe that it could actually happen:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

I'd imagine how it happened was when the OP was getting her their, I'm assuming they signed up for it in a branch, the teller looked up her name found her mums account first and then entered that number into the application form. Not realising there were two people of the same name at the same address. I know when I signed up for my CC that's the way it happened

The OP then signed the form without checking that the account number was hers, however by signing the form the OP confirms all details are fine.

Then when the OP rang to enquire, they probably still didn't mention that there were two people at the same address with the same name, bank teller looked up details and said yeah everything is good on that account/standing order.

It's just a guess but it seems like it's the only logical way this could happen. Nor would it remove the burden from the OP to pay the bill.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

If the bank were to reenburse the mother- doubt there will be any major interest rate given to her on her refund- maybe a deposit rate of percent or whatever.

But then when they look for payment from daughter would there be some huge credit card interest rate nearing 20% per year to be paid also...?

Bank could be quids in on this one...?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Double interest? Interest would have been already paid by the mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

All the comments advising to take personal responsibility surprise me.
    I'm surprised you're surprised. It is the logical conclusion.

The OP would certainly have noticed money going out of her account - not noticing money effectively going into your account is wishful thinking. And must have, within five years, realised money wasn't paying her credit card.
    And then asking where does she stand? She obviously has to pay it back!

There's this notion that if a company makes a mistake (and I'd be skeptical here) and doesn't charge someone, they somehow don't owe the money... because the company made the mistake. But actually no... they still owe the money. They deserve to be able to pay it back at their own convenience (within reason - there's an onus on them to spot an error too; that's what statements are for) but they certainly shouldn't have any of the money written off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Could the OP clarify the approximate amount involved here and the frequency of transactions. If cc was actively used itis hard to understand how both parties missed it, but If on the other hand it was only used occasionally then it would be easier to understand the error.

OP - four years ago you said you had 7k of credit card debt.

I don't believe you and neither will the bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

OP - four years ago you said you had 7k of credit card debt.

I don't believe you and neither will the bank.

Wow the Bank won't believe you?
    H'mmm let me think, would any sane/person trust/believe the banks?..NO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Banking & Insurance & Pensions forum

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I'm amused by the thread title that the bank has made an insane mistake when clearly the op hasn't noticed her payments being mysteriously on her behalf. Surely that is the insane part...
    The OP knew damn well there was a problem and probably even suspected some other sucker was paying her bill, just not her own mother ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Does anyone else think it would be insane for the bank to issue a mortgage to either party in this instance? regardless of income they are clearly careless of their finances.

Some of the threads on here blow my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭SK76

pjmn wrote: »
    Could the OP clarify the approximate amount involved here and the frequency of transactions. If cc was actively used itis hard to understand how both parties missed it, but If on the other hand it was only used occasionally then it would be easier to understand the error.

+1 some excuse if one or two small transactions a year. Best guess is that OP knew that she was getting away with something and has only got caught now after the mortgage application

• Registered Users Posts: 28 musing

all sorted with term loan thanks for all your advise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

musing wrote: »
    all sorted with term loan thanks for all your advise

And one happy (and more worldly wise) mum. :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Term loan eh? Ouch. Next time you see someone else paying your credit card you'll be quick to tell the bank. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Well done for sorting everthing out including checking 5 years transactions,between 7 on a Friday evening and 10 on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

This was all sorted with the bank on a Friday evening/Saturday morning? Forgive me for being skeptical about that. Not much of this thread adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 musing

its been in progress a few days so phone banking and panic works and **** off all you trolls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭ILikeFriday

I'm surprised you're surprised. It is the logical conclusion.

The OP would certainly have noticed money going out of her account - not noticing money effectively going into your account is wishful thinking. And must have, within five years, realised money wasn't paying her credit card.
    And then asking where does she stand? She obviously has to pay it back!

There's this notion that if a company makes a mistake (and I'd be skeptical here) and doesn't charge someone, they somehow don't owe the money... because the company made the mistake. But actually no... they still owe the money. They deserve to be able to pay it back at their own convenience (within reason - there's an onus on them to spot an error too; that's what statements are for) but they certainly shouldn't have any of the money written off.

I never suggested for a minute that the OP doesn't owe the money, of course they do. But the idea that the OP and their mother should sort it out between themselves and regard it as an embarassing mistake, when it was the banks mistake in the first instance does surprise me. But I wonder if there could be an entitlement to some sort of compensation for this, particularly to the mother. I also wonder, if at the very least, their should be flexibility in how it is paid back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

pjmn wrote: »

If the credit card transactions prevented mortgage approval I'd reckon the credit card payments were resulting in Mommy-musing going overdrawn or scraping the barrel each month. If that was the case Junior-musing had no option but to finally 'fess up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

I think the Gardaí should get involved and check if this mum has freely paid the credit card for the last 5 years or if this "mistake" is the consequence of some sort of other activity because nothing in this make sense.

Someone accepting money that is not theirs (which clearly happened here) is for sure not legal (even if it's from the mother), the OP has willingly accepted payments to which she was not entitled over a period of 5 years without complaining.

Sure she now claims she has gotten some sort of bridge loan (which no reasonable lender should have given her giving her payment profile and shown irresponsibility) to pay her mother off but that does not take away the fact that for 5 years she accepted money to which she was not entitled. If I would be the lender of the card I would cancel it because the credit risk is just too high.

Than again, she just might be a troll herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭amber2

Find it hard to believe phone banking would get involved in this don't think they would touch it with a barge pole. It would be referred to the branch where the account is domiciled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Yaaay,28 years on from my online debut,I've finally been called a troll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

So you didn't notice that whenever you booked flights or holidays or ate in a restaurant the money somehow never came out of your account.

To be honest I find it extremely hard to believe that you didn't know something was up.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭Jack Kyle

musing wrote: »
    she has no cc at all

Sorry, your mother doesn't have a credit card and was paying credit card bills for five years?

And you have a credit card which has been miraculously cleared every month for the last five years?

And you both think that the bank are somehow at fault here?

I'm shocked that you're not mortified / ashamed.

Although I'm inclined to think that the entire thread is fantasy. I doubt anyone could be in cloud cuckoo land to that extent and I don't believe that the bank loan etc would be resolved so quickly and on a Friday / Saturday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement