Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ger Deli

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Just passed Gers Deli by the train station and it'sgone. The best rolls in town, anyone know what happened?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

That's a shame! He def did the best rolls and sambos alright. wonder was his lease up, or did he shut for a few weeks in the summer? He got a lot of business from the schools etc around.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'd say Ger's Deli is gone for well over a year now.
    I suspect the down turn in the construction industry had a lot to do with it.
    I also think he let his standards slip over the years he was open.
    I got a hot chicken roll there a few years ago that that was just ingredients slapped into a roll any old way by a rude, uninterested young one. The onions in it stank and the hot roll was wrapped in plastic film rather than foil to really help it stink of stale onions and plastic.
    I never went back - I probably wasn't the only one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'd say Ger's Deli is gone for well over a year now.
    I suspect the down turn in the construction industry had a lot to do with it.
    I also think he let his standards slip over the years he was open.
    I got a hot chicken roll there a few years ago that that was just ingredients slapped into a roll any old way by a rude, uninterested young one. The onions in it stank and the hot roll was wrapped in plastic film rather than foil to really help it stink of stale onions and plastic.
    I never went back - I probably wasn't the only one.

Spot on.
    I was always a customer since he opened on McCurtain Street and was quite happy to spend my money there but my god the place went to ****e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That's really sad to hear. I haunted the place when I was in school and it was on mccurtain street. Best hot chicken rolls by a long shot, but I haven't been there in 7 or 8 years now (:eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's moved back to Midleton. He was there before he ever went to Cork. Still very good rolls from few times I've had them since he opened up back here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Ruginator

Corholio wrote: »
    He's moved back to Midleton. He was there before he ever went to Cork. Still very good rolls from few times I've had them since he opened up back here.

Where is he located in Midleton? A big loss to the city, had really good rolls and a friendly service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

He's only closed since about April I'd say.
    Said the business was gone recently. I'd imagine another victim of high corporation rates too.
    Moved back to Midleton, next to the Farmgate place I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,029 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Ruginator wrote: »
    A big loss to the city, had really good rolls and a friendly service.

Not my experience by a long shot.
    Maybe the quality and staff improved before he closed but I doubt it.

Advertisement