Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part Time work With PhD

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I am wondering how PhD students cope financially ?

Assuming the standard stipend and fees paid.

Is there a way of making extra money or anything ?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,241 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I am temporarily across the pond pursuing a PhD, and the budget is very tight indeed. My scholarship covers tuition and fees, and I receive a small university RA stipend. I constantly network with PIs to be included in their RFPs, and have been fortunate to get additional cashflow RAing for them when they get funded.

To make ends meet I also have a part-time job as an Iaijutsu instructor, don't own a car, have a pretty empty frig, never miss a fast food Taco Tuesday (3 tacos for a buck), don't party much, don't have cable TV, and share a one-bedroom apartment near campus with another student.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Depending on the funding and school, (and subject) being a lab demonstrator is an option. Currently I work about 12 hours a wk (half labs, half correcting) at €18/hr. Also, some unis look for graduates around this time of year for part time work manning the phones etc for the influx of new students.

Outside of the university, I know a few people who had part time jobs at the weekend, but ended up leaving that because our lab tends to work at weekend too. Grinds are always an options...

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭bduffy

Depending on the funding and school, (and subject) being a lab demonstrator is an option.

+1 on this. Demonstrating labs in other colleges as Labs were built into everyones PhD in our Uni. Extra money to be made nvigilating exams and covering registrations also.
    However it does cut into your time, especially when trying to finish up, but I made more doing this than my monthly stipend during term time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭WhirlEsme

I waitress at the weekends (although I may leave this when I need to dedicate more time to my research). I don't tutor classes but it may be an option in your dept. Also exam invigilation (as recommended above) is a great earner and requires 3-4 weeks of work a year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dr Shais

I have done PhD in Physics (mechanical) in 2008.I came here on spouse visa. Earlier I was not allowed to work by law.but now i can, and i seriously want some work / research or some academic activity. Kindly advise me how to start.
    I am scared of so-called Covering Letter. How to write it?
    regards
    Shais

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 September2013

As the other posters have said, funding is a bit tight.
    My advice is to try to get into a well funded PhD one that provides a tuition waiver plus a stipend for RA/TA duties.
    If you have to resort to PT work find something that is complementary to the PHD

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dr Shais

Actually I don't have idea, how to get it?

Advertisement