Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Copenhagen

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Has anybody any information on this course and overall organisation of the event? Im aware that this was a challenge event, not too sure if its the same route etc now that it is an IM branded race.

Cheers lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 darrenoconaill

Am doing this race next week. It was a Challenge event until a couple of months ago when Ironman/WTC bought the race. Course and everything will be exact same as previous years - only difference is the gear etc. will be IM branded and there are 50 Kona slots up for grabs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 textmissing

Brilliant, looking forward to hearing a race report from you so! I take it registration for 2014 opens after the race? Does that apply for online entries as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Doing it as well

Website has full race briefing and course details
    http://kmdironmancopenhagen.com/

Brilliant, looking forward to hearing a race report from you so! I take it registration for 2014 opens after the race? Does that apply for online entries as well?

Not sure about entry for next year. Just hoping to get through next week first ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭blind_hurler

Not sure about entry for next year. Just hoping to get through next week first ;)

Best of luck.. much trouble getting bike over?

• Advertisement

Thanks. Not flying til tomorrow. Flying with Sas so will hopefully avoid all the usual Ryanair rigmarole. Just finished packing bike. Stressful business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Has anybody any information on this course and overall organisation of the event? Im aware that this was a challenge event, not too sure if its the same route etc now that it is an IM branded race.

Cheers lads

This is an old log of the Challenge event which includes a race report. Might be of use :)http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64073879

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ZZJ

I did it in 2011 when it was a Challenge event as my first ironman. I think it was the 2nd running of it.

Swim was in a lagoon (you can get the metro out to it) and is fast, there are a number of bridges you go under which is good for working out how far you are in, sighting, support, etc.

Bike was flat (only one little hill one each lap) and fast, very fast, you go out of the city, along the coast and then come back down inland, 2 laps. There was a tail wind along coast which made for very fast section times, then being inland the head wind had less of an effect. One thing to be wary of is there is a lot of little flints in the road and if it rains they come to the top and there were quite a lot of punctures.

Run was 4 laps in the city centre, beautiful, flat, a section of cobbles and quite a few corners the only thing to slow faster runners, amazing support, really good. The spacing of the aid stations was the only issue I had with it, but is was only a small issue, there was one hole in the coverage I felt. (May have been due the state I was in :) )

Organisation was great, could not fault it.

Overall, it was a great event, amazing city, amazing support, out on the bike course in the middle of the country families had moved their whole lunch (table chairs etc.) to the roadside to support, crowds on the run was fantastic as it was compact around the city, hitting all the tourist spots. Great recovery area afterwards. My only issue was that is was just another event in Copenhagen, there was no buzz the days before or the days after. The whole thing was packed up and put away the next morning. Oh and Copenhagen is expensive, very expensive, you seem to loose money by osmosis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

LCD out of water in 1:07, over 41kph average for first 63km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Dolan flying , Muldoon doing well also
    Off the bike in 5:43 with a mighty 4:32 bike.
    New Irish IM record on the cards?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Abhainn wrote: »
    Dolan flying , Muldoon doing well also
    Off the bike in 5:43 with a mighty 4:32 bike.
    New Irish IM record on the cards?

Too early to say Joe but he is in great shape. Has set off at 3:49k pace

Still far too early still but through 10.5k last few splits 4.10/09/03 low 2:5x marathon pace and if he can sustain it on for an 8:40 overall. Record stands at 8:50 (on a short Austria course)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

does anyone have a like to the finish line live video ?
    If they have it again this year, thanks in advance

Through halfway, if he keeps 4:15s it will be an 8:43 and break the record by several mins. This is some performance!!

Still far too early still but through 10.5k last few splits 4.10/09/03 low 2:5x marathon pace and if he can sustain it on for an 8:40 overall. Record stands at 8:50 (on a short Austria course)

There will a stag if he gets the record. Regardless of what he wants

if he holds 4:30s 8:47, 4:15s 8:44. Barring disaster we have a new IM record holder. 11k to go

if he holds 4:30s 8:47, 4:15s 8:44. Barring disaster we have a new IM record holder. 11k to go

Record is 8:49:56. Can he do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Shane Scadding also going well in this. 1.02 swim 4:53 bike

Muldoon home in an excellent 8:55. Looks like the last 11k were tough.
    Lost 4-5 mins

New Irish record. Well done Liam.

• Advertisement

Fair play 8:45 with marathon in 3:00:12.

Bloody excellent

Fair play 8:45 with marathon in 3:00:12.

Bloody excellent

Sub 3 would have made it all the more sweeter, could have tried a little harder :)

New Irish iron man record for Phoenix president! Good man Liam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Cheers lads

The race I feel is still a bit of a "work in progress", though weather wasn't great this year. Swim is a bit out of town, few stops on metro then a 15/20min walk. Bike is north of city & excellent run course with massive support.

Pre-race, as is a big city the athletes are absorbed in & you wouldn't even know is on. Race morning atmosphere sadly lacking at swim venue. Case of DJ shouting "Are we ready to rock?" answered with deathly silence. The organisation at swim went very smoothly, no messing around & waves started bang on time.

Bike had pockets of support, but nothing like other European races. Aid Stations well stocked & organised.

Race comes into it's own on the run. Huge crowds, very scenic course. Amazing finish area.

Pasta party was terrible, awards ceremony was the worst event ever. Day after an Ironman they have an awards ceremony with no food or drink. Hell even had they been selling the stuff would have been better.

Copenhagen lovely city, really nice but pricey, very pricey.

I think the race will get better as it builds more of a tradition. Easy to get to & excellent public transport. Race hotel was a bit like Ikea, except they let you stay the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

First time racing a IM so nothing to compare with

Thought the swim was spectacular location, very easy to sight, flat water. Great for support as plenty of bridges ( even though i couldnt hear any of the cheering). I agree there was nothing going on before except the one guy shouting randomly

Bike- very flat and fat. One wee hill, only place where they could attempt a roth esque feeling. Cool to see locals sitting out eating their lunches

Run- City centre so great support, won't forget running under a bridge and the wall of noise was amazing. More music would of been good, numb the pain :(

After race, didnt see any massage or get the food on offer
    The pasta party- great motivtional speech by one danish champ and food was decent if a bit cold

As already known, very expensive but the local are very friendly if a little in the dark that the event was on.

I 'd recommend if you wanna go fast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

glennbhoy wrote: »
    First time racing a IM so nothing to compare with

Thought the swim was spectacular location, very easy to sight, flat water. Great for support as plenty of bridges ( even though i couldnt hear any of the cheering). I agree there was nothing going on before except the one guy shouting randomly

Bike- very flat and fat. One wee hill, only place where they could attempt a roth esque feeling. Cool to see locals sitting out eating their lunches

Run- City centre so great support, won't forget running under a bridge and the wall of noise was amazing. More music would of been good, numb the pain :(

After race, didnt see any massage or get the food on offer
    The pasta party- great motivtional speech by one danish champ and food was decent if a bit cold

As already known, very expensive but the local are very friendly if a little in the dark that the event was on.

I 'd recommend if you wanna go fast

All that and you didn't tell us how your time????? ;) :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 javajoe_ire

Anyone entered for 2014 race?

Anyone entered for 2014 race?

See it sold out in 4hrs @ 450 bob an entry. The mighty power of IMDOT. Makes you sick sometimes

See it sold out in 4hrs @ 450 bob an entry. The mighty power of IMDOT. Makes you sick sometimes

Why?

A standard Olympic in Ireland costs you €60.

Alot of these give you no goodie bag.
    Alot of these give you no race t-shirt.
    Alot of these have no post race food.
    Most of these have no transition security.
    Most of these have very little medical crews.
    Water safety is weak in alot of these.
    There are no aid stations on the bike and run.
    There is no on course mechanical assistance.
    There are feck all motor bike marshals.
    There is no pasta party.
    There is no post race party with free beer.
    They are over in 2-3 hours rather than 9-17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

tunney wrote: »
    Why?

A standard Olympic in Ireland costs you €60.

Alot of these give you no goodie bag.
    Alot of these give you no race t-shirt.
    Alot of these have no post race food.

Would have to disagree on these 3....
    A lot of olympics in Ireland u do get a goodie bag including a tshirt......and post race food..... Kilkee , DCT.....JOEY HANNON..Blacksod..to name a few...

Advertisement