Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque issue

Options
  • 09-08-2013 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Received a cheque, crossed made payable to three names. We all have separate accounts, I'm wondering if my bank will let me lodge it into my account only. I intend to pay the other two payees but can't get the cheque reissued in separate names. The cheque is for 3 grand if that makes any difference and I'm not known to the bank:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

What does the crossing say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 tinkerbella

it says account payee only, non negotiable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

it says account payee only, non negotiable!

Asked and answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Received a cheque, crossed made payable to three names. We all have separate accounts, I'm wondering if my bank will let me lodge it into my account only. I intend to pay the other two payees but can't get the cheque reissued in separate names. The cheque is for 3 grand if that makes any difference and I'm not known to the bank:(

Is it worth opening an account in your joint names to lodge this cheque ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

You've got a problem then.

Unless one of you has a very good relationship with his/her bank and they're prepared to negotiate the cheque regardless of the crossing. Unlikely though - generally speaking such a service is only offered to solicitors' accounts where the principals are prepared to sign an indemnity.

Ask for the cheque to be reissued without the crossing.

• Advertisement

Ahh they won't reissue the cheque and I could really do with the money. I don't have a good relationship with the bank ,not a bad one but I don't earn enough money for them to care. One of the payees possibly would have some sway. However isn't prepared to do anything that involves taking time off to go to a bank which is fair enough. Oh well, I might just go in and chance my arm/beg, nothing to lose. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sounds like a clever way of issuing a cheque somebody doesn't want cashed. Suspicious...

No it's not suspicious, it was an ancient savings cert for a couple of hundred quid back in the day!

Advertisement