Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gotham (Fox) [** Spoilers **]

Comments

ERG89 wrote: »
    Jerome would have been ideal....maybe he'll come back.
    The doppler of Bruce is gonna be
    Talon, no?

Why would he be? That's
    Nightwing's alternate
    no?
    Won't he just be
    Owlman
    if anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭smilerf

I can't remember but was Jerome brought to Indian hill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

smilerf wrote: »
    I can't remember but was Jerome brought to Indian hill

He was indeed. One of Galavans chosen... for a while.

He was indeed. One of Galavans chosen... for a while.
    bit weird then he wasn't in the escape

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

bit weird then he wasn't in the escape

Should have clarified. After the run in with Gordon last season, he was sent to Arkham. Galavan then got him out, but killed him at the gala do Bruce attended, to get the support of the people of Gotham for mayor.

• Advertisement

For me this week was boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Yeah I'd agree, not feeling the Hatter and his sister yet. Hopefully it doesn't get too much emphasis and Oswald/Ed get their chance to shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

I showed the pilot to a female friend and she liked Fish. I can understand that its such a male dominated show with all 4 leads being male that they need some mixing. Fish episodes or long scenes bored the crap out of me at the start but Im starting to get into her now.

The scene with the women in the club at the end of SE03E01 (if I remember correctly, I only streamed it) showed great potential.

I showed the pilot to a female friend and she liked Fish. I can understand that its such a male dominated show with all 4 leads being male that they need some mixing. Fish episodes or long scenes bored the crap out of me at the start but Im starting to get into her now.

The scene with the women in the club at the end of SE03E01 (if I remember correctly, I only streamed it) showed great potential.

human 19 wrote: »

I like Fish
    She's an extroverted psycho
    Smith gets a lot of stick on her for overacting but I'd imagine she's supposed to be like that
    Anyway I struggle to think of another black actress who would do a better job

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭bren2001

human 19 wrote: »

Female character wise at the start you've got Barbara, Sarah Essen (head of Gotham Police), Cat and Montoya

Later you've got Leslie, Tabitha and Ivy (I presume she will become a big character this season).

These are all reoccurring, strong enough female characters.

At the start Fish, Bullock and Gordon and to a much lesser extent Bruce are the leads (to memory), So no, in this case I certainly do not see or understand why a woman would like a character solely for the fact she is a powerful woman when there are plenty of other strong female characters. Even at that, I never understand why anybody likes a character because of their gender. Smith does a terrible job portraying Fish, I dislike her for that. Her gender is irrelevant. The same way I dislike the actors who portray Barnes and Harvey Dent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

When "Bruce" asked Seline if she wante dto gor for a ride, I was reminded of the end of this ad from years ago

Very good episode this week

Very good episode this week

I thought it was terrible. I've not enjoyed much of this season so far.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I only got around to watching this today, in the past it would have been a must see show now it's a "oh yeah I have that to watch"

For a moment I thought Ed and Oswald were actually going to get in on. I'm not into all this shipping lark but they started something here and they need to follow through now tbh. Even if it ends up with Ed jilting Penguin that's fine, but it needs a resolution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

My main problem with the show is not the weak plots and dialogue. It's the acting!

I would say only Donal Logue and the butler are convincing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

The Lucius Fox and Selina Kyle actors are also pretty good. But yeah for a large ensemble cast there is a lot of hammy actors.

My main problem with the show is that its developed an almost "event of the week" feel to it.

Look at the arc of Penguin so far this season:

Episode 3: announces he is going to run for Mayor.
    Episode 4: becomes Mayor.
    Episode 5: "Red Hood Gang", puts up first real opposition. Turns out Butch runs it and is presumed dead. The Gang are gone.

Would it not have made sense for Penguin running for Mayor to be his arc for the entire season (or half of it). We would see Penguin and Nigma form a close bond, the rise of the "Red Hood Gang" and Butch's betrayal. There are several big pay offs there. Instead, I just didn't care when it happened.

After 3 episodes we're onto Penguins next arc. I feel, they are just trying to cram villains in, instead of developing natural entry points for them e.g. maybe Penguin recruits one or two to deal with the Red Hood Gang, Nigma solves it with him etc.

The same is true for most characters I feel. Yet interesting characters are just left to the side e.g. Lucious Fox, Bruce's investigation etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

bren2001 wrote: »
    My main problem with the show is that its developed an almost "event of the week" feel to it.

Look at the arc of Penguin so far this season:

Episode 3: announces he is going to run for Mayor.
    Episode 4: becomes Mayor.
    Episode 5: "Red Hood Gang", puts up first real opposition. Turns out Butch runs it and is presumed dead. The Gang are gone.

Would it not have made sense for Penguin running for Mayor to be his arc for the entire season (or half of it). We would see Penguin and Nigma form a close bond, the rise of the "Red Hood Gang" and Butch's betrayal. There are several big pay offs there. Instead, I just didn't care when it happened.

After 3 episodes we're onto Penguins next arc. I feel, they are just trying to cram villains in, instead of developing natural entry points for them e.g. maybe Penguin recruits one or two to deal with the Red Hood Gang, Nigma solves it with him etc.

The same is true for most characters I feel. Yet interesting characters are just left to the side e.g. Lucious Fox, Bruce's investigation etc.

This plus 1,000, everything just gets rushed through in this show, ffs we just had the Mad Hatter introduced, now his sister is dead and he's out for revenge, back story much?

• Advertisement

Fox are notorious for hating over arching stories.

Sleepy Hollow was threatened with cancellation, after series 2,for exactly that. They want immediate pay offs and audiences to be able to jump right in and follow a story.

Pity

Fox are notorious for hating over arching stories.

Sleepy Hollow was threatened with cancellation, after series 2,for exactly that. They want immediate pay offs and audiences to be able to jump right in and follow a story.

Pity

The funny thing is that what we got in Season 2 was more or less an overarching storyline and the show improved a lot for it.

But so far in Season 3 we're back to a more episodic storyline and it's been underwhelming. Characters have seemingly become more idiotic also (Fish being caught wide open by a police bust on her hideout, Selina playing hard to get with Bruce after how close they became at the end of Season 2, Lee throwing around her father in law's name as a threat afterall she went through with Jim's fall from grace, etc....).

This episode was an improvement but there's still too many wildcards at play for my liking. Last year we had a more or less tight villain piece with Galavan pulling the strings of the lesser players with Strange taking over in the latter half. This season we've the Owls, Oswald/Ed, Butch/Tabitha/Barbara, Ivy, Fish and the Hatter. I assume the Owls will be the overarching villain of the piece up to a certain point. If that's the case then they need more prominence and quickly.

Only storyline I can see getting wrapped quickly however is Hatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Liked that one. So much wound into it.
    something about how the dilemma worked out felt refreshing too... him actually making a call.. but was it cos he knew what yer man would do ala the princess bride and that Lee was the medical person so save her to be able to save Valerie

either way, they didn't have a non-answer way of working it out

I assumed that was the reason he chose Lee as well.

I find the whole Penguin/Riddler thing really boring. Both characters used to be entertaining but now it's entering soap territory.

While I enjoyed elements of the episode this week, mainly the Mad Hatter table scene, I still feel the story could have been done in a much more interesting way.

For example, the Mad Hatter demonstrated how he could employ psychological techniques to control people when we first meet him. This skill is effectively useless (aside from the kid and newly wed couple i.e. people we don't care about).

Surely, the story should have gone something like: The Mad Hatter captures Lee and Valarie and gets inside their heads. By the time Gordon finds them they are both connected to a drip with a bag of Alice's blood connected. There are two buttons, each of which will release the blood into one of their bodies. With a time limit where both bags are released eventually. The twist being, Lee declares she is still in love with Gordon (but this is obviously just the Mad Hatter controlling her). He must chose which ones lives and which one dies. That way, we find out Gordons true feelings for Lee and we potentially get a new character from Alice's blood.

The Penguin - Nygma has gone from my two favourite characters to me checking how long is left when they appear on screen. They've almost exhausted both characters story lines.

Whats the point in Lucious Fox working in the Police Force if we never see him or what he does?

We've just seen Bruce's doppleganger go off with your one, whats happening to him?

Where's Bruce? He's uncovered the secret gang and yet all we've seen since is him chat up Cat.

What's happened to Ivy now that she is grown up?

Its not like these questions are mysteriously unanswered. We've just parked those timelines for a few episodes and when they come back, I won't care because I've seen little/nothing of them.

I'm close to calling it quits on this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'm very quickly becoming bored of this show. This weeks episode went nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

What was that about this week???

The show is continuing to meander unfortunately, with them not doing enough to keep me interested in what I assume is the main storyline the Court of Owls. They achieved much more in this time last season with Galavan, a half made up character, than they have with an actual established plot from the comics this season.

Mad Hatter is doing nothing for me.

If I was to guess I'd say Isabella is
    Clayface
    acting either on behalf of the Owls or Butch to **** with Penguin/Ed. I'm still interested in where that plot goes. Falcone's son seems to be showing a bit of promise as well.

Bruce/Selina's relationship peaked for me last season so their arc thus far this season has disappointed. Their connection felt much deeper in the former, the latter just feels like they weren't sure how to advance it and are now falling into cliche.

That was the worst episode of Gotham I've ever seen

• Advertisement

So the hatter story didn't even read the mid season finale
    Poison Ivy is next I presume
    Her looks aside I have a feeling I won't like this

Thank God the Mad Hatter story arc is finished. What an awful run of episodes! Hopefully, the Court of Owls stuff kicks in now and we get a decent run of episodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The Gotham writers seem to be on speed

I can't remember, but what was the reason for the plaster on the back of Mario's neck? It seemed like something Jim would recognise if he saw it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Morena Baccarin has signed on to star in and executive produce a legal pilot for NBC http://tvline.com/2016/11/14/morena-baccarin-cast-nbc-legal-pilot-gotham/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

hopefully no more barnes for a while!

• Advertisement

Shane St. wrote: »
    hopefully no more barnes for a while!
    I hate Chiklis.
    People complained about Jps overacting but he was just as bad

On a side note what's to stop tetch hypnotizing everyone in Arkham?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

James Remar to play Jim's uncle Frank - TV Line

Gotham has to be the wackiest dark show I've ever watched. Some of the violence is just disconcerting especially in today's episode.

Shane St. wrote: »
    My main problem with the show is not the weak plots and dialogue. It's the acting!

I would say only Donal Logue and the butler are convincing.

I dont think you can carry off a show like this, with its wacky storylines, without an element of hamminess. For me it adds to the comedy aspect...like the Penguin showing up with a bazooka. If it tried to take itself too seriously, it would probably come across as ridiculous.

Its like the sitcom 3rd Rock from the Sun. By unashamedly hamming, it allowed them to get away with stuff nobody else was doing.

I think the acting is decent to fine, as in the central cast have either been consistent or have at least demonstrated ability at one point or another.

It's the inconsistent writing that hurts the show above all else.

• Advertisement

Who would have thought that Alfred the butler is the son of Worzel Gummidge!

i have to respect Gotham bringing attention to the cops "shoot first, ask questions later" policy. Seriously how is Gordon still a cop??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

God I thought that was very poor. I like what they are doing with edd and oswal. But so far I have been a bit let down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Gotham is grand for what it is - a fantasy crime-drama.
    I find it entertaining anyway.

It's best not to over-analyse it like this!!

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/no-bruce-wayne-thats-not-tightropes-work/

Is there a mid-season break or another episode next week?

marvin80 wrote: »

that was the mid season finale
    Probably be mid to late February when it's back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭corkie

marvin80 wrote: »

that was the mid season finale
    Probably be mid to late February when it's back

IMDB has S03E012 airing on the 16th January

corkie wrote: »
    IMDB has S03E012 airing on the 16th January
    nice one

Have ye all seen the promo for episode 12 :-)

That storyline was getting like a borderline bad soap opera but thankfully they offed Mario in the same episode where he was making his cringey threats towards Gordon.

Falcone's reaction to his son's death after Gordon's promise, Penguin fighting an assault from all fronts and Owls should set up a strong 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Have ye all seen the promo for episode 12 :-)

Looks good :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement