Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building up resistence to cat allergy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Both my wife and I are allergic to cats. We have 10. lol.
    My wife has a worse allergy and it brings on asthma. We both lived on antihistamines until we just became immune to our own. If we bring in a new cat now I can get away with a small reaction but my wife will have to take anithistamines again for a little while.
    Not sure about the Sibs but i think the rex family (cornish and devon) are less likely to drop dander, La perms the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

How long did it take for you to build an immunity and was it intense?

Am wondering is the process of building an immunity to cat allergens possible in ireland as ive heard that its dangerous and is banned in europe.Is this true as I am allergic and wish to buy a cat and want to gain an immunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm allergic to cats and had a cat for 6 years. If you brush them regularly it takes care of most of the dander so less of/no reaction. Also washing bedding and vacuuming regularly to reduce the dander will help too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Merging your threads carlowplayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I cant quite remember how long it took tbh. If we go to a cat show or visit someone whose cats we have not met before we both take antihistamines.
    If we go to a home where we have met the cats before I can get away without tabs but my wife cant.
    It depends on the extent of the allergy. We were taking to someone last week whose daughter breaks out in a rash, hives and all, I hadnt heard of anyone with such an extreme reaction to it before.

My advice would be to understand that it could take time. Give it time, ie a yr. Give yourself a cat free room, like the bedroom. At least you will have that space to call your own if need be. We only have cats in the bedroom if they are ill and need supervision or if they are giving birth. We also keep the guest room cat free at all times, no exceptions.

If you are looking at a breed with supposed hypoallergenic I would mention your allergy to the breeder. Its one of the questions we ask as we would prefer to know and help advise rather than see the kitten up for sale/rehome after a few weeks. No breeder can gaurantee that it their breed wont affect you but it is better they know the entire circumstance of where the kitten will live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

you know you can get an antihistamine injection from your doctor that last about a year? that would probably be the best way.

is that safe sheesh?and does it work specifically for cats?Ive spoken about it with my family but they say its dangerous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

is that safe sheesh?and does it work specifically for cats?Ive spoken about it with my family but they say its dangerous...

My GP doesn't recommend it because of the side effects...
    Have you thought of maybe fostering a cat to see how bad your reaction is? Take antihistamines for a couple of weeks beforehand and take it from there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I know that it is despensed by pharmacists and is administered by a doctor. I know that it worked for my sister, it is for general hay fever. not for specifically for cats. had not heard about side effects. so maybe I might do some research.

I know from my own Hayfever that if you take antihistamines before the symtoms start it is more effective. otherwise you will be waiting until the next day for it to have a proper effect.

I would also ask is it an actual allergy to cats. what does your doctor say?

• Advertisement
Advertisement