Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I go to Australia what to expect?

Options
  • 09-08-2013 9:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

I went to Australia in 2010 for a month for a holiday and went with my sister, her boyfriend and cousin. I travelled to Perth, Kalgoorlie, Melbourne, Sydney and up along the East Coast. I loved it and I am very close to returning back there again; but this time on a WHV.

My real questions is about getting employment, I left school early and have an empty CV as I have only worked around 3 months in Ireland before and that was almost 6 years ago. Going to Australia I really couldn't care what I'd do as I'd be free of Ireland and everything that goes with it; I also want to avoid Irish people as much as possible. I'd like to be able to work and save a little bit after covering my costs etc. I am thinking of Perth but I wouldn't really care what part of the country I'd go as I'd just follow the work, just to be working is all I want as I think I will crack-up if I spend any longer on the dole here at home.

Going on Holidays and living there are two totally different situations also I'd be looking at probably doing the 2nd years WHV and ideally trying to settle there and get residency, difficult I know! I am totally fed up with Ireland and there is no way I can spend another winter at home in this depressing hellhole.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Well I think it's a good idea and you should do it but I can't say what the job situation is like for unskilled workers. If you are hoping to stay for more than a year maybe you could look into organising some agricultural work there before you go like a chicken farm or fruit picking or something, that way you can get your 2nd year visa if you work for 3 or 4 months I think. That could have changed by now. I went there in 2008 on a work holiday visa and got a job easily in a café in Fremantle which I loved. Things have probably changed by now though.
    I don't know if steadfastly avoiding Irish people is a such a great idea...for one thing it will be difficult, we are everywhere. Also sometimes meeting a friendly Irish person is the nicest thing that can happen, like when you have a **** day when people have been doing your accent all day thinking they are hilarious (middle aged aussie men for some reason), you are living in a hostel with cockroaches and unfriendly French people and you have lost your bank card and Australia just doesn't seem the idyllic place we all imagined.
    Sorry I know you didn't ask for any of that but look up the farm work anyway. A friend of mine worked in a chicken place in Margaret river so I can pm you with the details if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ok, just a thought but as you haven't been working i presume that funds are tight and as you need a break from all things Irish I wouldn't recommend Perth, half the place is either recently arrived or second and third generation. The accent can actually be very useful if you can play it to your advantage.

But have you considered going to the UK for a bit, parts of the south east England have really low unemployment rates, you might get started a lot easier in something there than taking a chance with all the cost of a WHV in Aus. You could still do the WHV later but maybe have a course done or skill done by then while getting paid in the UK. It's an open job market of over 60 million people on your doorstep and you're more likely to avoid the Irish scene than in Perth.

By the way I totally understand how you feel about Ireland, the majority of it is rural and can be oppressive without options. Seriously consider the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

I wouldn't be too harsh on Irish people, given the Irish taxpayer had been funding your dole payments for last 6 years.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I wouldn't be too harsh on Irish people, given the Irish taxpayer had been funding your dole payments for last 6 years.
    Jackbhoy, don't forget to thank our european cousins and the IMF for bailing out all Irish taxpayers. I wouldn't begrudge anyone their rancor and dissent at the sham called Irish representational politics.
    Btw we're all taxpayers via sales and user taxes so it's morally vacuous denigrating someone for wanting to improve their circumstances.

catbear wrote: »
    Jackbhoy, don't forget to thank our european cousins and the IMF for bailing out all Irish taxpayers. I wouldn't begrudge anyone their rancor and dissent at the sham called Irish representational politics.
    Btw we're all taxpayers via sales and user taxes so it's morally vacuous denigrating someone for wanting to improve their circumstances.

I was referring to him wanting to avoid Irish people, it has nothing to do with Irish politics or him trying to improve his circumstances.

And I don't appreciate your labeling of me/my comment as "morally vacuous", a bit OTT don't you think?

• Advertisement

jackbhoy wrote: »
    I was referring to him wanting to avoid Irish people, it has nothing to do with Irish politics or him trying to improve his circumstances.

And I don't appreciate your labeling of me/my comment as "morally vacuous", a bit OTT don't you think?
    Irish citizens have the constitutional right to free association, I understand that's not appealing to everyone but that's what separates a Republic from a dictatorship. If some people wish not to associate with other citizens that's their right and in doing so they in no way impinge upon another Irish citizens rights. Jackbhoy, you may not like them but I will defend my Republican beliefs.

Stinicker, here's a map of unemployment in the UK, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117
    it might help you get a grip of the labour market in the UK. best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Mate if you could not get any job in 6 years in Ireland, you are mad coming here. No job at all , did you not move town or go to a big city?

There is no dole in oz on a whv.

Zambia wrote: »
    Mate if you could not get any job in 6 years in Ireland, you are mad coming here. No job at all , did you not move town or go to a big city?

At no stage did Stinicker indicate that they wanted to sign on the dole in Australia. Stinicker was very clear about "employment". Reread the origional post and you'd see that.

Stinicker
    My real questions is about getting employment

I never said he did but the simple truth as it comes across is . if not one employer in 6 years has hired the op in Ireland he has weeks in oz before his funds are gone. There is no safety net.

Zambia wrote: »
    I never said he did but the simple truth as it comes across is . if not one employer in 6 years has hired the op in Ireland he has weeks in oz before his funds are gone. There is no safety net.
    That's what you read into it. Again reread the OPs post and nowhere did they suggest welfare was their intent. If there's any notion of the OP seeking welfare in Australia it is purely your interpretation Zambia.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    I am thinking of Perth but I wouldn't really care what part of the country I'd go as I'd just follow the work, just to be working is all I want as I think I will crack-up if I spend any longer on the dole here at home.
    It would be positive of Irish citizenship if if we could all help each other rather than vilify, denigrate or ostracise fellow citizens trying to better themselves. This is tiresome, please if no one has anything constructive to add then please refrain from unhelpful, hurtful and frankly pointless comments. This is not the Joe Duffy show.

• Advertisement

Irish citizens have the constitutional right to free association, I understand that's not appealing to everyone but that's what separates a Republic from a dictatorship. If some people wish not to associate with other citizens that's their right and in doing so they in no way impinge upon another Irish citizens rights. Jackbhoy, you may not like them but I will defend my Republican beliefs.

:confused:

Okay, from one comment you have deduced I am morally vacuous, have suggested impinging on op's constitutional rights and insulted your republican beliefs????

I'd ask you to explain how the Irish constitution or your republican beliefs are involved in op's wish to avoid Irish people in Australia (which, last time I checked, is neither a republic or subject to Irish constitutional law) but I am afraid the answer will confuse me even more.

My only point to op would be stop blaming Ireland and Irish people for your situation in life and get off your ass and do something about it. If that means coming to Oz then good on you but there are also lots of free (paid for again by good old taxpayer) training and education opportunities available in Ireland that would put you in a better position to gain decent employment, either here or back in Ireland.

That's what you read into it. Again reread the OPs post and nowhere did they suggest welfare was their intent. If there's any notion of the OP seeking welfare in Australia it is purely your interpretation Zambia.
    My interpretation is this the OP wants to come to Australia to get a job not be on the dole in Ireland. I get that.

However the OP has failed to get a job in Ireland for 6 years. That is a long time, so does that not even sound the smallest alarm bell.

As bad as things are in Ireland that points to me the OP is not really trying that hard. As that is how is CV will read. (granted I could be wrong) So the OP flying several thousand miles across the world without addressing that basic issue is folly.

If he fails to secure a job in a few weeks he runs the risk of being thousand's of miles from his family support and financial and residential assistance.

Ergo my comment he has no access to the dole in Oz
    It would be positive of Irish citizenship if if we could all help each other rather than vilify, denigrate or ostracise fellow citizens trying to better themselves. This is tiresome, please if no one has anything constructive to add then please refrain from unhelpful, hurtful and frankly pointless comments. This is not the Joe Duffy show.

The OP has already stated he does not want a bar of the irish in Australia when he arrives over.

If the OP is is partaking on a foolish course of action well its everyones right to tell him so. He has already been given a much more apt option of travelling to the UK.

The forum is not Ebay non positive feedback is allowed.

Maybe the OP should look at these threads
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85914523

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85238618

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=85070184

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

Eh they are trying to help him though. The grass isn't always greener, he has no experience and will be going over competing for jobs with people who do.

Why no try and get an internship here in a sector you think you may like op, and build up your skills 1st. Or try a springboard course, that way your cv won't look so empty to employers

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭brandnewaward

whv is the visa of death......**** even getting a bar job. do a forklift ticket , ul get in warehousing easy

Why no try and get an internship here in a sector you think you may like op, and build up your skills 1st. Or try a springboard course, that way your cv won't look so empty to employers[/QUOTE]

This is good advice. Shtiniker, I don't know what age you are but I'm guessing you are not near the age deadline for the WHV so acquiring a skill before you go would help. I think if Australia is where you want to be then go for it but as this person said grass isn't always greener so prepare yourself as much as possible. Having been on the dole I know how depressing it is but there are lots of education opportunities available too thanks to the BTEA which I benefitted from.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

TBH i think the OP is mad to come over. If he cant get any work at all in Ireland for 6 fecking years that what makes you think you can swan into a job in Australia? I think your problems are closer to home and you need to sort that you first. Go to the UK, get some work there first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I think anyone who goes to Australia for work is mad anyway, but that is none of my business really. I know of people who ran from Australia because they thought it was a hell-hole.

I think anyone who goes to Australia for work is mad anyway, but that is none of my business really. I know of people who ran from Australia because they thought it was a hell-hole.

I was quite happy to leave it when my visa was up but that's probably because I like living in Ireland. I'd never call Australia a hell hole but I couldn't live there long term. Each to their own. What happened to your friends over there?

LottieP25 wrote: »
    Eh they are trying to help him though.
    I fail to see how arrogant presumptuous condescension is helpful. The Op was judged and abused for being long term unemployed. This is actually one of the worst threads I've ever read in a "knowledge sharing" forum. If you've ever been long term unemployed and or worked with early school leavers you'd realise that there can be a lot of other issues involved.

We don't know the circumstances, we don't know the support structure or lack of and we have no idea of the hinderances yet that hasn't stopped pompous attacks on someone trying to do something for themselves. Instead of "knowledge sharing" they got abuse for their current situation and their desire to change it.

The supportive suggestions of exploring opportunities nearer to home than Australia are helpful and construction and can be easily dispensed without abuse. Their desire to be away from any Irish scene may be motivated by a desire to escape the negativity of the divisive post boom blame culture as perpetuated by some contributors here.

Those who have nothing to add other than their condescension should realise that they too may face a situation where one positive can make a huge difference.

I fail to see how arrogant presumptuous condescension is helpful. The Op was judged and abused for being long term unemployed. This is actually one of the worst threads I've ever read in a "knowledge sharing" forum. If you've ever been long term unemployed and or worked with early school leavers you'd realise that there can be a lot of other issues involved.

We don't know the circumstances, we don't know the support structure or lack of and we have no idea of the hinderances yet that hasn't stopped pompous attacks on someone trying to do something for themselves. Instead of "knowledge sharing" they got abuse for their current situation and their desire to change it.

The supportive suggestions of exploring opportunities nearer to home than Australia are helpful and construction and can be easily dispensed without abuse. Their desire to be away from any Irish scene may be motivated by a desire to escape the negativity of the divisive post boom blame culture as perpetuated by some contributors here.

Those who have nothing to add other than their condescension should realise that they too may face a situation where one positive can make a huge difference.

Mate, you need to reread this thread with a bit more objectivity and and apply a little less presumption yourself.

Not sure why you decided to take such offence on the op's behalf but don't think anyone was abusive here. You called me "morally vacuous" for a pretty harmless one line comment, I found that pretty insulting and extremely presumptuous of you tbh.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

There are a few courses that the OP can do that will help get employment in Aus.

If you have any interest in sport/Leisure, Royal Lifsaving qualifications are recognized over here from UK/Ireland, as are FINA qualifications. The money is pretty ordinary, but there is always plenty of work in leisure over here, and the lifestyle is super (early start, out enjoying the cracking weather all day, all afternoon to yourself) I had work within a week of seeking it in 2008 in this field.
    TEFL might be an option for you....
    Without experience, it is going to be tough though. I had 8 years solid experience in the industry, which pretty well put me on a peg with the managers experience wise.

Farm experience would be very useful if you are keen to get the most out of Australia, and it's easy enough to pick and choose whether or which Irish people you decide to meet if you are out farming.

There are Thousands in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne. Still haven't been to Perth (after 5 years) so If you go to a major city, you can count on bumping into them. To be fair, any that have lasted beyond 3 or 4 years have done a lot of growing up.

It's the 1 or 2 year backpacker bunches that generally go ott about being Oirish or being the same jackasses they were back home.

I wouldn't suggest you abandon your plan, but I would suggest getting some farm experience, (If you offer the help for feck all pay, they might give you a cashy for 3 or 4 months - Harvest is on, get cracking)
    Experience is key. There are something of the order of 750,000 Aussies in the same boat, educated, but not in full time education, seeking full time education or employment. (25% of "Young Australianshttp://www.abs.gov.au/websitedbs/d3310114.nsf/home/Population%20Pyramid%20-%20Australia and FYA report)
    so as you can imagine, competition in the population centers will be tough, and you are not bringing a whole lot to the party on an immigration assessment, so don't expect a long term visa miracle.
    On the other hand, its a good chance to see some of the world, meet some people (non-irish included) get some life and hopefully work experience, you might even manage to get some money together.

Catbear the OP has given the facts he wants known on the original post, so advice really has to be given on what he has relayed to the thread.

Advice or feedback will be given on what he has supplied. If there is some explanation he could explain to an employer (on a CV) as the reason for the absence he should give it.

Do you thinks it a good idea for the OP to come all this way at present?

Seeing as on the balance of probabilities he will simply end up returning home a few thousand euro less in his pocket.

MOD note: I see no insults to the op but feel free to report anything that you are concerned about. I will even see another mod looks at it

On another note to all of you who have done the farm work, could the op blagg his way into a fruit picking job for a while then he would have that under his belt to move on to another job?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

By the way I totally understand how you feel about Ireland, the majority of it is rural and can be oppressive without options.

Agreed, nothing worse than ruralites.

Zambia wrote:
    Do you thinks it a good idea for the OP to come all this way at present?
    Zambia, if you have to ask then you haven't read the thread. My reply to the OP.....
    But have you considered going to the UK for a bit, parts of the south east England have really low unemployment rates, you might get started a lot easier in something there than taking a chance with all the cost of a WHV in Aus. You could still do the WHV later but maybe have a course done or skill done by then while getting paid in the UK. It's an open job market of over 60 million people on your doorstep and you're more likely to avoid the Irish scene than in Perth.
    Look Zambia, useful, helpful considerate council.

and then......
    jackbhoy wrote:
    How is that useful or of help to the OP in trying to ameliorate their condition? Seriously, can you answer that?
    How is this slice of deluded pompous bilge of use to the OP, especially considering it is the Irish state that is effectively on EU/IMF dole?
    Zambia wrote:
    MOD note: I see no insults to the op but feel free to report anything that you are concerned about. I will even see another mod looks at it
    Of course you wouldn't see any insults, especially your own snide insinuation against the OP.....
    Zambia wrote:
    I believe you owe the OP an apology.

Zambia, if you have to ask then you haven't read the thread. My reply to the OP.....

and then......

Sorry I didn't re-read all your posts. We are in agreement the OP should not stray this far.
    How is that useful or of help to the OP in trying to ameliorate their condition? Seriously, can you answer that?

Its not very and the OP never mentioned if he was on the dole for that whole time but Jackbhoy is more than entitled to air his view.

But it would be reasonable to assume if a person has not worked for 6 years they are either on the dole or being supported by F&F.

and then......

How is this slice of deluded pompous bilge of use to the OP, especially considering it is the Irish state that is effectively on EU/IMF dole?

Of course you wouldn't see any insults, especially your own snide insinuation against the OP.....

I believe you owe the OP an apology.

I apologise to mods in advance for getting sucked in to this nonsense but I just can't let this go unanswered...

Wow, so now I am deluded and pompous. For guy that is so sensitive to posters hurting the feelings of the op you are very good at throwing around insults and abuse!

Just to clarify one more time, this is the line from op's post that I responded to:

"...I'd be free of Ireland and everything that goes with it; I also want to avoid Irish people as much as possible"

I would think it is my right to defend against a sweeping statement about Irish people and Ireland (described as a hellhole btw), probably more so than for you to take offence on someone else's behalf.

You have always come across as pretty reasonable poster on here so can;t fathom why you have taken such offence to some pretty tame perceived insults...

Zambia wrote:
    but Jackbhoy is more than entitled to air his view.
    So do you think the OP is less than entitled to their view?

Do you share Jackbhoys metric that a persons freedom of expression is somehow limited
    jackbhoy wrote:
    I wouldn't be too harsh on Irish people,
    by the payment of taxes...
    jackbhoy wrote:
    ...given the Irish taxpayer had been funding your dole payments for last 6 years.
    Obviously as a believer in the republican cause under which our nation was founded, of equal rights, one person, one vote, I do not share Jackbhoys limiting of freedoms along monetary lines.

Anyway Zambia this shameful nonsense disintegrated into a shameful circle-jerk on the longterm unemployed. Have you apologised to the OP for your unwarranted direct insinuation?
    Zambia wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Stinicker wrote: »
    I went to Australia in 2010 for a month for a holiday and went with my sister, her boyfriend and cousin. I travelled to Perth, Kalgoorlie, Melbourne, Sydney and up along the East Coast. I loved it and I am very close to returning back there again; but this time on a WHV.

My real questions is about getting employment, I left school early and have an empty CV as I have only worked around 3 months in Ireland before and that was almost 6 years ago. Going to Australia I really couldn't care what I'd do as I'd be free of Ireland and everything that goes with it; I also want to avoid Irish people as much as possible. I'd like to be able to work and save a little bit after covering my costs etc. I am thinking of Perth but I wouldn't really care what part of the country I'd go as I'd just follow the work, just to be working is all I want as I think I will crack-up if I spend any longer on the dole here at home.

Going on Holidays and living there are two totally different situations also I'd be looking at probably doing the 2nd years WHV and ideally trying to settle there and get residency, difficult I know! I am totally fed up with Ireland and there is no way I can spend another winter at home in this depressing hellhole.

You were able to afford this while not working? Jesus wept!

Anyway Zambia this shameful nonsense disintegrated into a shameful circle-jerk on the longterm unemployed. Have you apologised to the OP for your unwarranted direct insinuation?

Catbear the only one stoking this thread is you.

If you want to discuss the long term un-employed in general thats for another forum maybe Work & jobs or politics. I will happily discuss it there.

• Advertisement

Chiparus wrote: »
    You were able to afford this while not working? Jesus wept!
    So what's your point. Unemployed people can't holiday with family members, would you prefer they stay at home and take abuse from internet forums?

And if you are going to cite Jesus then at least observe his teachings about respecting eachother.

Advertisement