Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If I go to Australia what to expect?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

jackbhoy wrote: »
    You have always come across as pretty reasonable poster on here so can;t fathom why you have taken such offence to some pretty tame perceived insults...
    Perhaps because i was longterm unemployed in the 80 and am watching with frustration and anger a repeat of the blamegame that shift attention unto the unemployed and away from the politics that caused it. You intimating the unemployed should be grateful is an insult but as was in the 80s its easy to kick those who already down.

Look Jackbhoy, you might not agree with their sentiment but they are free as you or i to express it.
    I do take personal issue with you suggesting that the OP shouldn't complain because they recieve unemployment assistant.
    Ireland is in an IMF/EU bailout programme yet no one is telling us we cannot express rancor and dissent. So the same coutesy our European cousins extend us, surely we can extend to eachother in these hard times.

Rather than justify their repulsion of the status quo perhaps what the OP would benefit from more is actual constructive help that doesn't judge them for their current circumstance but gives them reason to find hope for a future in their own society or elsewhere, who knows maybe Australia in the future.

Finally if you've ever been longterm unemployed you might appreciate how frustrating it can be. I hope you don't experience it as i feel you may be as short with yourself as you were with the OP.

This has been a very dispiriting thread, suppressing frustrations is not a remedy for renewal. This is the second time i've left Ireland but unlike then we have the internet now which allows us to reply when we're told "we must tighten our belts". Having been powerless and without a voice in the 80s can not sit by and let the winner/loser blame game be repeated if i can help it.

As Springsteen says "no one wins unless everyone wins".

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Expect to work hard when you come here and be willing to try your hand at anything.
    Once you leave any of the cities, you will be a lot less likely to run into fellow travellers.
    If you haven't already, organise your driving licence. Try and get some farm experience in Ireland, learn how to drive a tractor and attach trailers etc. Otherwise farmwork here can be hard manual labour for not much money.
    My 19 year old cousin arrived last Spring with no job experience, however, he is from a farm and knew the basics. He's had few problems, did farm work straightaway for 6 months, saved a fair bit living in the back of Bourke and only recently moved to Perth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

OP despite all the mudslinging in this thread there are a few factors that you should consider, mostly your timing.

Unemployment is currently sitting at 5.7%, back in feb 2008 it was 3.9% but by the end of 2008 it was 5.8%. A lot of companies axed staff many of them 457 holders, I know because I had friends who lost 457 or were in the process of being sponsored and employer pulled out. The government was a bit slow but by early 2009 they slashed migration from 133,500 to 108,100 and removed occupations from the SOL. That's when the CSL replaced the MODL and prioity processing came in. The WHV felt the pinch and a lot bailed out due to lack of work, luckily the slump only lasted a few more months and there was somewhat of recovery pretty quickly. It been pretty good until recently but by the end of the year unemployment is expected to be at 6%, if this happens for any length of time you can expect changes in skilled migration also it would be very shaky ground for temporary visa holders wether WHV or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Is it actually possible to even get a visa without a leaving cert and an empty cv?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

catbear wrote: »
    Perhaps because i was longterm unemployed in the 80 and am watching with frustration and anger a repeat of the blamegame that shift attention unto the unemployed and away from the politics that caused it. You intimating the unemployed should be grateful is an insult but as was in the 80s its easy to kick those who already down.

Look Jackbhoy, you might not agree with their sentiment but they are free as you or i to express it.
    I do take personal issue with you suggesting that the OP shouldn't complain because they recieve unemployment assistant.
    Ireland is in an IMF/EU bailout programme yet no one is telling us we cannot express rancor and dissent. So the same coutesy our European cousins extend us, surely we can extend to eachother in these hard times.

Rather than justify their repulsion of the status quo perhaps what the OP would benefit from more is actual constructive help that doesn't judge them for their current circumstance but gives them reason to find hope for a future in their own society or elsewhere, who knows maybe Australia in the future.

Finally if you've ever been longterm unemployed you might appreciate how frustrating it can be. I hope you don't experience it as i feel you may be as short with yourself as you were with the OP.

This has been a very dispiriting thread, suppressing frustrations is not a remedy for renewal. This is the second time i've left Ireland but unlike then we have the internet now which allows us to reply when we're told "we must tighten our belts". Having been powerless and without a voice in the 80s can not sit by and let the winner/loser blame game be repeated if i can help it.

As Springsteen says "no one wins unless everyone wins".

Mate, I think you are reading way too much into the comments on here.

I have no issue with anyone being long-term unemployed, I have family and friends in that boat and I know the crap that goes with it, loss of self-esteem etc. I come from a working class background, with a father who lost his business and was long-term unemployed in the '80s.

I took issue with guy slating Ireland and the Irish people. No matter how crap his situation is, he is not totally destitute or homeless, which is case with many jobless in other "first world" countries with much less generous welfare system than ours. I don't expect the op to thank every taxpayer for helping him/her out but a little bit of perspective would be nice, there are a lot of places in the world where 6 years without a job would mean homelessness and starvation!

Maybe having personal experience of his/her situation means you are more sensitive to comments, but I personally can't abide people blaming others for their lot in life. Lots of us have been handed a sh1t sandwich at times in our life and at end of the day it's up to ourselves to do something about it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Is it actually possible to even get a visa without a leaving cert and an empty cv?

Yes a WHV, you can get one of those with an empty head never mind an empty CV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

HurtLocker wrote: »

Yep, Working Holiday Visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

I was quite happy to leave it when my visa was up but that's probably because I like living in Ireland. I'd never call Australia a hell hole but I couldn't live there long term. Each to their own. What happened to your friends over there?
    A friend of mine is from Adelaide and he said he couldn't wait to just leave the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

A friend of mine is from Adelaide and he said he couldn't wait to just leave the country.

Adelaide is special.

So what's your point. Unemployed people can't holiday with family members, would you prefer they stay at home and take abuse from internet forums?

And if you are going to cite Jesus then at least observe his teachings about respecting eachother.

Sorry but not working for 6 years, while going on month long holidays to Australia , while at the same time we are going to have to cut services to the old and sick says it all that is wrong with this country- yes Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

Chiparus wrote: »
    Adelaide is special.

I spent about 5 days there. It was plenty ;-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Six years unemployed will of course raise many alarm bells. On top of that he afforded to holiday around OZ for a month.... perhaps he should have put that money into his education?

Look he can do what he wants with his money but to come on here and describe Ireland as a hell hole and wanting to stay clear of Irish people (wanted their opinions on here though?) sounds like the OP is putting the blame of the situation he finds himself on other people rather than taking a long hard look in the mirror.

Like has he ever thought to go back to school as he left early, do some courses to make himself more employable? Up sticks and go to Dublin or the UK to find work? At the end of the day it is up to the individual to change their own lives and to try and make a success out of it and pursue your own happiness.

There are many victims of the current recession in Ireland but you can play the role of the victim or you can play the role of someone who overcomes it. The choice is his and his alone (assuming its a he)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I would normally defend the OP, in fact I have before in the linked thread 6 months ago
    But at some stage manhood and responsibility will need to be addressed, Stinicker I wish you the best what ever you do, but its obvious you need a break from Ireland.
    Stinicker wrote: »
    Thing is I am soon to be 26 and my father is 61, I will inherit land and property (worth €2million at current slump prices) and he has promised to sign the family farm over to me once he hits 65 and goes on Pension but by then I will be 30. I am stuck in the situation of being bored at home in Ireland with hardly nothing to do; I don't work the family farm and that is my fathers interest, I will put it into forestation when I get it as I have zero interest in anything farm related.

I travel every year to Europe and for the last few years to Asia. Also alot of my friends have scattered too and I am only left with one or two close buddies at home here, what is really killing life for me is the weather, the last time I saw meaningful sunshine was whilst in Thailand last year and my weather station recorded nearly 330 days of rain in 2012! Despite everything I would be happy enough at home if there was any thing even coming close to a summer. Such was my despair last year that I booked myself 5 weeks in the Philippines and Thailand for this summer and now am thinking of just going onto Australia for a year afterwards instead of coming home to rain and misery.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=82887484

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

The Aussie wrote: »
    I would normally defend the OP, in fact I have before in the linked thread 6 months ago
    But at some stage manhood and responsibility will need to be addressed, Stinicker I wish you the best what ever you do, but its obvious you need a break from Ireland.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/
    showthread.php?p=82887484

Would anyone else hire this guy? :). ..don't think I would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

aido79 wrote: »
    Would anyone else hire this guy? :). ..don't think I would.

Well not after reading Aussie's post! I'm feeling quite sorry for your poor elderly father Stiniker. Maybe he doesn't want to sign the farm over to you when he is 65. Have you thought of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭c0rk3r

Just wait another 4 more years in Ireland and you'll hit the jackpot thats if your father doesn't renege on his promise. I hope for your sake he doesnt because you'd be proper screwed then.

Having read over your previous posts i think Australia isnt for you and that maybe you should speak to a professional with regards career guidance / advice.

Sorry I was not aware of the circumstances, however I would get out go to Newzealand, learn on a farm how they use technology in Farming and bring a skill back you can use.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/site/farming-Interestedin-dairying-16640.html

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭LottieP25

So what's your point. Unemployed people can't holiday with family members, would you prefer they stay at home and take abuse from internet forums?

And if you are going to cite Jesus then at least observe his teachings about respecting eachother.

Nobody abused him!! You're far to sensitive for this thread !!

Advertisement