Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Da Cooley Thriller

Options
  • 09-08-2013 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

Any boardsies going to dust off the MTB and give this a lash next weekend? Online sign on closes in a day or two.

http://dacooleythriller.wordpress.com/

Looking forward to competing for the first time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Decided against doing it this year, have done it for the last four years. If you have a gps and you can get a map from previous years I would suggest you do so.
    Enjoy, great mountain biking to be had up in the cooleys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Why would Inquitus need a map,is the route not marked out in real life??? Will those entered be left to find their own away around the moutains?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭davey101

Well you wont get lost...... but the course marking has a lot to be desired. If your planning on racing it I'd suggest a garmin map, If your going with a group or just for the spin no need just, follow the group ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭capnsantini

I went up this weekend, it was my first off road event and I loved it, even though I missed a turn on the way back and ended up doing a few more road miles than expected! Not blaming the organizers or the markings, I was pushing pretty hard and just blew past the turn....

I know the XC season is pretty much wrapped up but I have the bug now, any other one off events like this still coming up this year? I did see the thread about the upcoming Waterford event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

I know this is an old thread, but I see this event is coming up again next month. I got a good taste for offroading on holidays recently and was hoping to take part in this.
    Anyone know if it could be managed witha cyclocross bike or is that out of the question

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Could it be managed, probably. Would it be enjoyable, unlikely. You'd end up walking some sections I think. Most of the first half of the route would likely be fine as you're on roads for a lot of it.

I did this for the first time last year and it was a day of absolute hardship. Was around the 4h mark on a hard tail. It was harder than any road race that I've done over the last few years. Hopefully get to do it again this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Site seems to be down. Anyone got the details for this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Thanks man. Managed to get the date in the end but I'm not around that weekend :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I know this is an old thread, but I see this event is coming up again next month. I got a good taste for offroading on holidays recently and was hoping to take part in this.
    Anyone know if it could be managed witha cyclocross bike or is that out of the question

I've done this a couple of times, on a hard tail. I don't think, you would enjoy it on a CX bike. There are some hairy downhill sections on it. There's one very technical rock garden on it, that is quite tough and steep, that I certainly wouldn't attempt on a crosser. You could do a lot of damage to bike and body.

Advertisement